Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR ... Day 10 post-op  (Read 3131 times)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
TKR ... Day 10 post-op
« on: July 24, 2003, 01:33:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I guess I've been scaring a few of my beloved kneegeek friends, so it is time to come out of the pit and fess up about a few things going on.

I have been having a significant amount of pain all week--not only is this disturbig because pain is disturbing, bu t it is scaring me significantly.  I do not remember this from my first tkr at all.

I went for my first pt session on Monday and was upset to learn that my extension was at -30 and my flexion was down to 64 again.  That is about a 20 degree drop in both.  pt was excriciating and I left with my exercises plus two more and directions to do them 5 times a day.  He also wanted me to do stretches a few times an hour and to use this knee as much as I could tolerate.  He was concerned that I have been using my leg too cautiously, almost being fearful of it.

After that, I went to the hospital for the bloodwork to keep tabs on the coumadin that I'm taking to prevent clotting...and then it was time for two of my sons to go for doctor's appointments.  As is the case around here right now, construction got in the way and that became a very long drive.  Just as Floyd pulled into the parking lot, the phone rang, it was my os.

My coumadin stuff was barely in the acceptable range so they wanted to talk to me about when to take that medication and so on.  I told her that I was calling in the morning to talk to my doc cause I was worried about pain and extension.  She let me know that my os was out of town till Thursday afternoon, and got another os to help me.

His  take on this was to change the way I've been taking my pain meds...hmm, instead of 2 every 4-6 hours, he wanted me to start taking one every threee hours.  He told me to ice 20 min on and 20 min off and to stay off of my feet elevating as much as possible.

So, with a few ideas and a lot of pain and a  lot of conflicting info, I started approaching the next day.

More to come...Sylvia
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 03:41:47 AM by admin »
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Post-op TKR.....Day 10
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 01:45:33 PM »
Hi again--I guess that was a day 7 report--and as I got home and settled in, I started incorporating anything and everything that made sense for my goals of pain management and use of this new knee.  (That was the point of my surgery anyway.)

I changed the meds over and although I didn't notice a real change in their effectiveness, I did notice a decline in the extremes, like this was more equal in tone and mood.  I began icing furiously--and then following that up with stretching and bending exercises.  So far, so, ok--but after others were in bed, I got up to go to the restroom and fell.  I lost my balance trying to stand fully on my new knee and went right over.  I screamed and went backwards, scraping my back on the edge of my bed and landing on my poor dog.  She howled and that woke Floyd up who thought the dog had did something awful to me--and as I was straighteningthat out, it woke up my youngest son who became terrified.  (not unlike me)  

That set me up for a day of pain and the blues like none other I hgave ever had--at this point I'm sleeping a half an hour or so in each three hour block and am so stiff and sore.  I have been lucky to have 2 of my sons willing to really healo me with my exercises and I gave it all I was worth.  By 10:30 that night though, I had reached my saturatoin point with pain and fatigue and woirk.  Cried and cried and cried, in one of the world's most unpleasant pity parties ever known.

That covers day 8...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 02:07:56 PM »
Yesterday was the pits all the way around...

I had the day to feel sorry for myself and to get ready for a noon pt appointment.  My pt is very concened about me and my pain level and a number of details that aren't adding  up--but he did tell me that some people have a high level of pain for about 30 days post op and maybe that is my lot in this--great.  Anyway, after all of my work, no change in my extension at all :(  My flesion was back to about 80 degrees, so some payoff to my efforts.  I am now sporting this rather nasty looking knot, the size of a golf ball on the lateral side of my knee.  It is painful to the touch and my pt isn't sure what it is about, commenting that it might be a pocket of swelling.  He ederessed both of my blisters--one had broken open on Sunday and the other on Monday--they are looking rather gross now, like some bad bicycle accident thing...

We worked and I cried and we worked and I cried--this hurts so much.  He is very worried that the muscles in the back of my knee are shortening up and encouraged me to keep stretching.  I will, but I have to admit I'm feeling overwhelmed and scared.  They know me so well there that they know that not only will I do as I have been told but that I'll go above and beyond--so I got some encouragements and cautions too.

I got home, complete with the blues in full throttle and tried to do as I should--crying got in my way several times.  After last evenings ball games, Floyd really wanted some time with me, so I went  tot he grocery store with him.  How stupid--their wheelchair wasn't set up for somebody as tall as me--and lets just say, I am still paying miserable for that add-on activity.

That leads me into a very tired and worrisome today.  I have to go to the hospital for another blood work-up and hope to talk to my os today.  I also have an appointment with my therapist for the depression--and I guess we have a full agenda for that hour.

Hey--I've slept three hours since yesterday--that's a good sign.  Thanks for listening to this, I hope this is a post-op whine and that this stuff will take a natural turn in a more positive direction.

I've sure been praying a lot lately and included myself to the nth degree these past few days.    Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 06:39:44 PM »
Oh Sylvia

I am so sorry to hear of all the well....crap you have been going through :'(

I am praying for you and hope that everything settles down soon!!

Keep your head up and know that you are thought about and cared about very much!!

Love, Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 03:57:14 AM »
Oh, Sylvia! This is all just unfair! :'(

Maybe God gave you the easier TKR first on purpose, knowing that you'd need another one. It's kind of like having your easy baby first. Who would ever have a second child, if the first one turned out to be a colic-ridden terror? Here's hoping your "terror" knee calms down!

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 04:17:19 PM »
Sylvia,

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers that the pain releases you and you begin to heal.

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling