Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Saphenous Neuroma  (Read 30262 times)

Offline moonpetals

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Saphenous Neuroma
« on: February 18, 2008, 03:58:49 AM »
Hi all I posted this on another section of the board but It was suggested that I post here. On the 22nd of the this Month I will be having a Saphenous Neuroma removed. I was wondering if anyone else has had this done and if so what is the recovery like. My Os who is Usually wonderful about explaining things wasn't so great this time as he was a hour behind in seeing patients. He also mention something about cutting into muscle in my calf because he feared Muscle herniation(sp?) But would go through the same 2 inch incision. So I am really confused. So even if it is just the Neuroma removal you have had I would love to hear from you!
        Thanks so much,
          Jenny
Lateral release-both knees
Arthroscopy-3 Times
Fulkersons TTT- Both Legs
medial reefing
PFJR (L knee) June 2006
PFJR (R knee) June 2007
Saphenous Neuroma removal Feb 22 2008
Scope LR,IT band,menicus repair Mar 18 2009
Scope,scar tissue removal menicus repair June 17 2009
Upcoming TKR Nov 10 2009

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Saphenous Neuroma
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:27:10 PM »
Moonpetals

I am having neuroma excision on April 2nd. It is on the infraptellar branch of the saphenous nerve. I think he might be removing 2 neuromas, one closer to the medial side along the joint line and one below the patella. I had 2 nerve blocks done on the nerves to diagnose the neuromas. I also went thru 3 cortisone shots, neurontin, lyrica, ultra sound , TENS and anti-inflammatories. My nerve pain showed up as burning, needle like jabs, topical skin sensitivity, sharp throbbing , very erratic. These developed right after surgery I had done last Oct.  I previously had a neuroma on the infrapatellar branch removed near the MCL, in 2006, but I had several other procedures done at the same time, so I had my previous TKR incision opened.

A forum member who goes by Allstardiva has had neuroma excision, in addition to ACL recon, done too. We both use Dr Noyes.

I don't know quite what to expect with just the excision only, since my last neuroma excision involved other procedures. I'll find out more when I have my pre-op appointment.

Good Luck on your surgery  ;D

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline moonpetals

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »
Thanks so much Pam for your reply. I did find the post you were speaking of :) In all honestsy I really am not nervous about this surgery  actually looking forward to it as this thing really hurts! I do not know if your is like mine but mine is not a constant pain but once it decides to flare up it is on! LOL! I also recieved 2 corti shots(OUCH!!!!!!!) which did help for a very short time. My Main concern is if i am gonna be on crutches at all. I also am on the starting end of arthritis spreading into my elbows and fingers. Somedays I swear my body thinks I am 100 and i am only 36! I do know that this surgery is outpatient and that is about it. Again thanks for your reply!
Jenny
Arthroscopy-3 Times
medial reefing
PFJR (L knee) June 2006
PFJR (R knee) June 2007
Upcoming TKR Nov 10 2009

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:59:29 PM »
Hi Jenny

Yes, mine behaves the same way. It constantly hurts and does all the symptoms I listed above, but then it flares up and all those symptoms become magnified 100 times and becomes hypersensitive. It is extremely painful at that point. I had told my OS that if I was a wild animal , I would have chewed my leg off during those times and I have also said if someone were to stab my knee with a knife, it would provide welcome relief from the nerve pain. Pain meds don't touch it. The only time I had any relief was when he did the 2 nerve blocks in the knee. I enjoyed 7 hours of total numbness, then it came back worse.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 05:59:17 PM »
Hi Ladies,

Sorry to just jump in.  But I had some questions regarding this topic.  I have Saphenous nerve damage from my surgery in 2006 that just never seemed to go away.  Does it ever regenerate?  If so, how long?  Also, how do you know if you have a neuroma and what is it?  I am in chronic pain from mid thigh down to my toes.  My foot becomes numb and ice cold.  I was put on Lyrica, but I am unable to tolerate it.  Would you recommend going to a pain mgmt. doc for this?

Joni
1989 Lateral Release, debridement, and arthroscopic surgery - lk
1996 TTT, Elmslie-trillat procedure, lateral release and debridement - lk
1997 Debridement and hardware removal - lk
2006 Lateral Release, 2 meniscus tears repaired, & acl repair - lk
2008 Sev Patella Effusion - rt knee

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:21:35 PM »
Neuromas form when the nerve endings that have been damaged or actually cut in half,  attempt to grow back together, but cannot do so because scar tissue or something else is in their way. This results in massive oversprouting of the nerve fibers in random directions as they try to (unsuccessfully) navigate their way around the road block so to speak. These excess nerve endings eventually ball up along with nearby scar tissue like spaghetti in a cement block, and a neuroma is formed.

Mine were diagnosed thru the symptoms I was reporting, my physical exam, and nerve blocks done with local anesthetic. Mine are caused from scar tissue production. I have arthrofibrosis , so now scar tissue has grown and is compressing my nerve. This started right after surgery I had in Oct. My problem area is very isolated, from below the patella and across the the medial side. I have no involvement down the leg and foot.

My OS diagnosed it. In the beginning CRSP was mentioned but I definitely did not have any other signs plus I had a hx of neuromas . He removed a previous neuroma on me in 06. If your OS doesn't know , you can go to a PM doc or a Neurologist to see what kind of nerve problem you have.

Here is some other info

http://www.jaaos.org/cgi/content/abstract/10/2/130

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1296949

http://books.google.com/books?id=MxMfcAvPitQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=neuroma+excision+of+the+infrapatellar+nerve&lr=#PRA2-PA366,M1

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:46:25 PM »
Hi Pam,

Thanks for your response.  I will definately check out the links you provided.  I had an EMG test about 2 months after an ACL repair and was diagnosed with Saphenous nerve damage.   I have not gotten any relief from any medications, so I was thinking about trying pain management.  I was curious to see if anyone had a good result when taking this route.

Thanks again,
Joni

Offline chaos

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 01:05:11 AM »
good luck jenni  i hope it is smooth sailing and an easy recovery for you. 
beauty always comes from within.  the outside doesn't matter.

Offline moonpetals

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 04:35:15 AM »
Thanks everyone! I have a pre-op appt tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it all goes.
Oh and Joni I have the same thing going on with my thigh down to my toes been cold and having that numb tingling feeling that is why he is talking about cutting into the muscles but I am still confused by it all so i am hoping to have some of my questions answered tomorrow.
Take care all,
 Jenny
Arthroscopy-3 Times
medial reefing
PFJR (L knee) June 2006
PFJR (R knee) June 2007
Upcoming TKR Nov 10 2009

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:32:01 PM »
Hi Jenny,

Good luck today.  Hope everything goes great and you get the results your after.

Take care,
Joni

Offline moonpetals

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:25:44 PM »
Hi all
I am back from my pre-op appt that i had at the outpatient surgery center. My surgery is scheduled for 7am on friday. I am his first patient of the day! WOOHOO!! Just will be able to get in there and get it over with and not miss my morning coffee to much ;) The Nurse there (who was great i might add) explained to me that I will be put under GA and that the surgery can take anywhere from 45 minutes to a hour and a half. He will be making a 2-3 inch incision and working from there. She wasn't quite what he would be doing with the muscles as she was a little confused by that too. So i guess i just will have to wait and see. She said I would probably be a crutches for a few days and be down for a few days but that also varies with each person. So Iam Hoping I am up in about in no time. I figure this is gonna be my 13th surgery and compared to most of then this should be a fairly easy and fast recovery.
Well that is about it for now. I will check back in later  ;D
Take care,
Jenny
Arthroscopy-3 Times
medial reefing
PFJR (L knee) June 2006
PFJR (R knee) June 2007
Upcoming TKR Nov 10 2009

Offline moonpetals

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 05:10:46 AM »
Hi all
Well my surgery is complete. The only reason I am posting so late in the day is the Fuzzy feeling after surgery and now well believe it or not i cannot sleep. Surgery was smooth sailing.Hit  a small bump on the way to surgery my White blood cell count was very elevated. My OS finally agreed to do the surgery but i am now being watched very carefully. I have to return to his office on Monday for post-op visit ans since hie office is next door to hospital gonna have my WBC checked again. I had massive doses going through my IV started before my surgery and Hubby said they ran another bag when i was in recovery. Yes i am in Pain but very managable. I am on Crutches but only for a few days. He got the Neuroma and the nerve that was cut was tucked into a muscle. He told Hubby after my Surgery (while I was in recovery) that he is sending me in for a MRI of my back. Because of the numbness in my leg and foot, so we shall see what will become of that.I am hoping tomorrow I feel the same if not better pain wise tomorrow but for me the day after is always the roughest so we shall see.
Well just thought i would post a update. I will check in with you all later
Take care,
Jenny
Arthroscopy-3 Times
medial reefing
PFJR (L knee) June 2006
PFJR (R knee) June 2007
Upcoming TKR Nov 10 2009

Offline MaggieMoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 03:18:44 AM »
Hey!
I have been experiencing saphenous nerve entrapment for a year now. I have all the "textbook" symptoms, yet it is very difficult to find someone who actually knows how to treat it. I have tried numerous medications, ultrasound, TENS, nerve blocks, stretches, rest, etc. but I still have spontaneous flare-ups. Has anyone tried ART (active release techniques)? I have a scheduled appointment in 3 weeks for ART nerve entrapment releases. The appointment is located in Colorado and I live in Florida, so I wanted to see if anyone actually got symptom relief before I spend my time and money. I have seen 11 different doctors for this diagnosis so I am weary of trying new things because I have gotten my hopes up many times.
- Also, has anyone had long-term symptoms relief from removal of the neuromas? If so, where were you treated? I have not found a doctor who actually knows my diagnosis as well as the surgical procedure for it.
I would appreciate any advice or guidance. I'm desperate to get this fixed!!

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 02:35:39 AM »
Maggie,

What part of Florida?  How did the treatment go?  I just read your thread and was curious if you went thru with the procedure in colorado and if it went as exected?  Who was the doc?

russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline mtlady

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 07:13:29 AM »
MaggieMoo,

I am also dealing with a saphenous nerve problem - in both legs.  It is so severe it has put me in a wheelchair for nine months now.  Sounds like I have tried everything you have tried with little success.  I have not tried active release, though, but have heard of someone having some success with it.  I am in the process of trying to get an appointment with a peripheral nerve surgeon that has experience dealing with this type of problem.  If you are interested in the possibility of surgery, I would gladly share what I know.  Let me know.

mtlady