Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: has anyone used Supartz?  (Read 6998 times)

Offline lcowchick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
has anyone used Supartz?
« on: February 15, 2008, 06:18:12 AM »
Hi,
 I am new to the board and am not sure where to post this. Has anyone used the Supartz injections? My doctor wants me to take these injections and I wanted to hear from others that have already used it. Did they work?  How painful are they? How long did it last for you?

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
Re: has anyone used Supartz?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 06:55:42 AM »
Hey! I have not had that specifically same drug your talking about, but have had pleany of other steroid/antiinflamatory/pain medication injected in my joints. For the first you have to ask yourself if you want to expose yourself to steroids. which, forgive me if I'm wrong, but this it what itis. If so, other than that, the injection itself is only uncmfortable when the needle goes in, because once its in the local anęsthetics thats in it quickly numbs the site. Its  a good injection, but to be honest it wont cure anything. You will get relief for maybe 3-4 weeks if lucky. If yur injury or pain isnt too severe, this may be suffiecient to calm things down so you get some peace to heal. if not, the injury or illness will have to be addressed soone or later. I'm no fan of this kind of treatment, as its a bit of a temporary relief and doesnt cure anything.
greetings Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 01:00:11 PM »
Supartz does not contain steroids. It's pretty much the same thing as Synvisc, Hyalgan, etc. It's supposed to work by lubricating the joint. However, it only works for less than 50% of people and then it's only temporary. My doctor won't even bother with the injections due to poor results. I had Synvisc injections done by my last doctor years ago. They were worthless. The first injection hurt, the second one hurt more and the third one was the most excruciating pain I have every felt. It was horrible. If the first one had felt like that I would never have gone back. My doctor sprayed my knee with numbing stuff, injected lidocaine and none of that prevented any pain.

I wouldn't recommend the injections to anyone. However, there are some people here that have had good results. Just keep in mind that any relief will be temporary and there's no predicting how long that will be. Anywhere from never to a few months.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »
Left knee - I have had (5)supartz injections 7 months apart from each other last year.  I can say that they helped with the pain. It not completly gone but they have helped.   I am going for a cortizone shot today.    Do I know I am headed for a TKR on my left knee.  Yes.  But the recovery from one is far easier than being disabled for a whole year.. Trying to cope with a failed surgery.

Pain only happens to me when the OS hits a nerve ending.

I had orthovisc injections (3)in my right knee. Three months later I had a total knee replacement.  Did I know I was headed for one .. Yes.

Did it take away some of the mind numbing pain???  Hell yes...   Did I expect it to be the end all be all ??? Hell no.

Since these are pretty non invasive ..  No 10 scar from a total knee replacement.  No 2 x marking the spots from a scope.   ..  Each of my knees had different pain levels.  Each course of treatment I choose is different.    Ofcourse I must admit I am operationed out and cant bear the thought of going under the knife one more time.  These injections allow me the luxury of staying out of the OR. 

While you can read each persons experience with the injections...   Your knee is not like our knees. We do not know what condition your knee is in .. Nor can tell you to go for an expensive treatment that is only at best marketed as a bandaid procedure .. not a cure.

Offline lcowchick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 05:13:43 AM »
Hi,
 Thanks so much for taking time to answer my post. I was hoping more people had good results from this injection. I had a cortisone shot in my knee 1 week ago and it has not helped the pain at all. Before they had worked pretty good. I am a farmer and the pain is so bad right now I can barely walk around inside of the house. The xray last week showed bone on bone in both knees. The strange part is the right knee does not hurt at all. Dang knees! lol

Thanks,
Lisa

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »
If you are bone on bone then don't bother with Supartz. It's pretty well established that it will not work in that case.

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »
That is true, those types of injections are short term.  The are a series of three to five shots usually given one shot a week. The patient will need to have them repeated every six to eight months and they treat only minor to moderate arthritis.  I have moderate to severe arthritis and tried hyalgan and synvisc with no relief.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Joni
1989 Lateral Release, debridement, and arthroscopic surgery - lk
1996 TTT, Elmslie-trillat procedure, lateral release and debridement - lk
1997 Debridement and hardware removal - lk
2006 Lateral Release, 2 meniscus tears repaired, & acl repair - lk
2008 Sev Patella Effusion - rt knee

Offline jimholmen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »
If you are bone on bone then don't bother with Supartz. It's pretty well established that it will not work in that case.

Offline jimholmen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:22:09 AM »

After arthroscopic knee surgery, I was told that (essentially) I was bone on bone.  Lots of pain-especially with movement--very difficult to even walk.  After 3 supartz injections, I was pretty much pain-free.  I walk my dog 1-2 miles/day, play volleyball and softball.  I get (3) injections every 6-8 months.  I have had almost no pain for over 2 years, and have almost no limitations on physical activity.  Supartz (for me) was a miracle!!

cdubb

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 01:53:49 AM »
I had a series of 5 Supartz injections last December in my right knee.  I have known grade 3/4 chondromalacia with cartilage defects down to bone.  I didn't feel that the injections helped too much.  The injections themselves don't hurt if your surgeon knows how to administer them right. I only had one that hurt and a different doc did it. He used some crazy cold spray and numbing agent before the injection and took a different approach for the injection than the other ortho administering them.  That one hurt, which is funny because he was taking the greatest effort to avoid causing pain.  The ortho who gave me the other 4 just injected them and it was fine. 

Although...that being said, after my right knee had the injecctions, my left knee (which is normally my not as bad knee) completely flipped out on me with swelling, pain and severe activity limitations, etc. and on Nov. 3rd I'm set to have an ACI/AMZ on that knee and the right is being scoped at the same time in case I need an ACI biopsy on that one too.  So...maybe it did more than I give it credit for because the right was my historically worse knee (based on surgical findings and normal pain levels) and yet I am having a very big procedure on the left in  2 weeks? 

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 03:11:02 AM »
I had the injections starting about a month after my microfracture surgery. In my case, the OS' intent was that the supartz would help in the development of new cartilage. I have yet to find any studies or any kind of information regarding whether or not this is an effective tactic. I got the shots one a week for 5 weeks. I didnt find them to be particularly painful (the painful part was the 2 hr drive to the doctors office), but i cant say for sure whether they did any good. The main thing that i am curious about is whether the supartz could help prolong the life of the fibrocartilage that formed after my surgery. My OS said that theoretically they would but they dont like to give the shots unless they are a total necessity. Too much of a good thing were his exact words.
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

support