Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: You Should be Pro at this - your on number 8  (Read 7470 times)

fawn2388

You Should be Pro at this - your on number 8
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
I am SO sick of hearing about how much I should be use to knee surgery because I've now had 8 surgeries... its' only more fustrating! I'm 20 years old and was told by the current OS that by the age of 25 or I would be considered a possible canditate for PKR or TKR. This doesn't make it any easier. I'm kinda of sick sitting there day after day waiting for to get better doing everything I can.  Gah. i just want this to be all over.

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: You Should be Pro at this - your on number 8
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:24:10 AM »
Well. They are just dumb.  Im sorry. People are never going to get it.  Hang in there.
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:27:59 AM »
Oh. My. Gods.  I've just had knee surgery #3.  If I *ever* get **USED** to this bull Sh**T, SIGN ME UP FOR A RUBBER ROOM AND A WHITE JACKET WITH LONG SLEEVES.  What kind of crap is that... "you must be getting used to it"...  I'd have to ask if they're getting used to the taste of the foot in their mouths.  ;)

Sorry you're putting up with idiots today.
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 01:49:21 AM »
Sorry you've heard that....many of us have and it is very insensitive and way out of line...Multiple surgeries does not make it hurt any less.....make Pt any easier....In fact, it makes it harder in many ways....Hang in there....Hope you're feeling better....Pls know there are many of us out here that have had multiple surgeries and re-curring probs......we have heard the sometimes insensitive remarks that can really add to the hurt and frustration....

Feel Better...

Ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »
It is frustrating to hear remarks like that, especially from people you consider to be close friends. There's a woman I've been friends with since high school who seems to think all my surgeries (I'm up to 6 now) have been elective. I've tried explaining that it's because I keep getting tears in my menisci, which are painful and get worse if I don't do something about them, but she doesn't get it either and has said things like, "How many of these surgeries are they going to let you have?" and "Maybe it's just not going to get any better." That hurts. Fortunately, not everyone is like that. Keep your chin up, Fawn. You have a lot of sympathetic ears here and can vent any time you feel like it.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »
Fawn so sorry that you are putting up with the insensitive remarks like that i too have heard them and then when i had to have tkr i really got them from my boss to my coworkers that i just wanted sympathy and tha i should just walk it off  >:( are they freaking idiots to walk it off
some people just cant put them selves in anothers shoes
like terre said lean on us we are here and we will get you thru all of it most of us are veterans of more than one surgery and we know how bad the more then come the worse they get
just hang in there you have support and friends here
hugs to you
caren
Caren

kiddthekatt

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »
Fawn;
  Like the other posters have stated, people who have never had knee surgery just don't get it. I was very healthy for my age last year in March, I was 52 and had only undergone 1 surgery. I had my tubes tied after Mandi was born. I had 3 surgeries in 7 months to the day from March 22, 07 to Oct. 22, 07. The most insensitive remark I got was from the lady down the road from us. Nosey old bitty. She asked me what contest I was in? I looked at her like I had missed something and she said you know, are you having a contest to see who can have more surgeries in the least amount of time. I looked at her and let loose. People are amazing in the ability to show their ignorance.
   I'm probably looking at several more knee surgeries before it's over, and if people are stupid enough to make a remark about it, I'm ready for them. Just hang in there, we're hear and we've been there.

Angel

fawn2388

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:18 AM »
Thanks, its just really fustrating when people are like was it really all the pain, all those sleepless nights (still having them) and all that rehab. I was like... uh yah, if i can't live my life I think it's a good reason. And than there like your going for a TTT on your left knee.. are you crazy.

NO. I just want to play lacrosse again. I don't want anymore subluxing/dislocations.

On a good note, to anyone who plays Guitar hero, I can now 90% Dragonfroce on expert... the one plus of knee problems ;) they make you have no life.

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »
Hi Fawn,

Sorry to hear that you have to deal with such ignorant people! It's difficult enough dealing with multiple surgeries without the stupid comments from people. I've found that unless you've had knee surgery you have no idea how difficult the recovery can be.After 2 of my major surgeries neighbors were amazed that I was NWB for so long and then didn't walk well for some time after. Guess they think you drop the crutches and should walk perfectly. I don't go into detail when someone asks me how my knee is. You can vent to us anytime you need to since majority of us  on this board know how you feel. Hang in there.

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision

Offline laura_utah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:43:09 PM »
The fact that you have NEEDED eight surgeries in so short of a time stinks.  I'm really sorry for you and know what it feels like.  I was just turned down for a patellofemoral chondral repair by a well-recognized OS because I was a "failed knee surgery patient" having had six previous knee surgeries.  He told me to use PT as a pain management program and learn to live with my pain.  When I got down to bone-on-bone he would consider a TKR.

Instead of getting mad at these idiots, use your tremendous surgical experience for your own benefit.  Assemble all your post-op equipment and order your home-work-school to accomodate your post-op requirements.  Let everyone know what you will need for support (both physical and emotional).  You need every advantage you can get to fight for your knees!  Fight for your knees and don't quit!!!!

Best!
Laura

Offline trish85

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Like everyone has already said its really crazy hoe insensitive people can be. It does only get harder.  I am waiting to hear about my 13 knee surgery as you know.  I am reallly not looking forward to hearing things like that.  But I think I am going to use what megTX  said "are you getting used to having your foot in your mouth"  Everything gets haarder with the more times you go in even scheduling it.  the only thing that has gotten easier for me is the tricks I can do on my crutches. 

But don't let thier ignorance get to you we're here for you if you need to vent.
trish
R LR 2/02
R TTT/LR 8/02
L LR 1/03
R hardware removal 7/03
L TTT/LR 8/03
L hardware removeal 6/04
L VMO realignment 6/05
L TTT/VMO revision 10/05
R VMO advancement 4/06
L hardware removed 7/06
R VMO recon 9/06
L VMO recon 7/07
L MPFL recon w/ hamstring autograft 3/14/08
EDS type 3

Offline themomof5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »
As someone who has 8 surgeries myself and waiting number 9 it makes you want to throttle people who say things like that.  Or wish that many surgeries on them so you can say it back to them.  When people say stupid stuff to me I've learned to come back at them with sarcasim, it's so much because they never quite know if you are serious or not.

I'd say hang in there things will get better but they don't.  Humor will go a long way in making yourself feel better and mentally strong enough to deal with it all.  Good luck.

Offline huma1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 03:47:22 AM »
On a good note, to anyone who plays Guitar hero, I can now 90% Dragonfroce on expert... the one plus of knee problems ;) they make you have no life.

Hahaha, i totally get this. My friends that lived upstairs from me at school used to play guitar hero all the time, & the used to try to get me to play too. Now im stuck at home, & its actually a BIG part of my day. It's so funny how many projects u can take up, how many books u can read, the hours of vidoe games u can play & still have way too much time on ur hands. On the other hand, im sorry people are such jerks. My friends are so used to me being the one that always wants to go out, or do sumthing crazy, or go for a run, or go to a gym .. they still call & ask. I'm like um nooo, sorry i'm kind of injured at the moment & lately i've ben gettin 'oh yeah, i forgot, hasn't it healed yet?'  ::)

fawn2388

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 05:27:19 PM »
thursdays aren't going to be easy, I have to labs and one the night before.. thanks guys, it's nice to see that some people do understand. there was a girl on pink crutches (were would you get those? and WHY?) and a post op brace, when i ask her what happened she was like, oh, nothing, I just want to use the elevator and my dad has gott connections, she's like you got the same idea.

I want to cat fight slap her soooo BAD. I showed her my scar and walked away. i think she didn't end up eatting. WHY would ever fake it? like, it's horirble enough having a real one. On a good note, I won red sox opener tickets at the umass bball game.. go me :) I can still throw a basket with a bad knee. :) So excited

fawn2388

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »
Can't sleep :(

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 08:38:04 PM »
Good job on the basket and winning the tickets! I feel for you. Well, you seem to have an OS who is at least staying the course with you. I feel like mine quit me saying anymore and I'll make it worse.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 03:06:09 AM »
you know, I've had 14 surgeries on my knee, and not finished yet. In the beginning I even had it from my dearest and nearest -'oh when are you going to stop haivng these surgeries..bl.. bl  ' as if its electable by choice. When you get the first op, then its just bad luck, but when it keeps ON and ON, jup!! Its a bummer. I stand to have my knee fused because I have had  5 TKR's and theyve all failed, they cant put anymore hardware in me and can do no other operations any more, the only option I have to get pain free now is to have my knee fused stiff and lose 5cm in length. Believe me it sucks, and if that doesnt work, well then its the unthinkable, which is amputation well above the knee. So hang on in there, dont let people mock you, I' sure your not doing it all by choice. Which kind a nutter does that??
Hope all goes well for you
Greetings Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 03:29:01 AM »
Knee operations are not addictive.  And  I am sorry that people can not show empathy.   I had people call me gimpy and thought it was cute.  I wanted to tell them that I was loosing my mobility and never thought it was cute to call me gimpy.  Other people after the surgery realize how far I have come and tell me how great I am doing. 

I guess I just take my mobility very seriously and can't take a disabled joke. 

I had only two surgery's and even after those two I am surgery out.  I keep telling my OS I can't bear another surgery again.

Offline bdknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 09:03:21 PM »
wow that is just sad!! I have had an OS say to me that it is all in my head.
I have had seven surgeries so I know exactly how you feel. I also have had people
be very rude and say dumb things to me. I have gotten to the point now that I
won't even tell anyone anymore that I hurt all most everyday and it isn't getting
better. Just don't want the flak of people thinking I am just faking it for the
sympathy vote.
Hang in there and keep your chin up. Heck just look at people and tell them you
would trade places with them any day of the week. Until they walk in "your shoes" for
a day they can't judge. 

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 01:35:03 AM »
Not sure if any of you have read Fawns other posts on post op...but she had a fall about a week ago and got to the ER...now she had another operation..has external fixation devices on her leg and is a rehab facility for a MONTH.  Her post is on the other board..Im sure she can use all the support she can get. 
LR 11/2006

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »
Ah, I just read that! I'm so sorry to hear it! Fawn, we're rooting for you and praying for you. See you on the other board.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

fawn2388

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 01:00:02 AM »
Thank GOD they let me out like 2 weeks earler... to my apartment... which is small and one floored... soo lol, I've been getting my boyfriend to get me everything... including taco bell haha.

kiddthekatt

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 01:09:37 AM »
Fawn;
    You have some rotten luck, but keep your head up, it's got to get better. I waited all week to see my new OS today, just to have to re-schedule due to heavy rain and possible flooding downtown Houston. I have a new appointment next Monday, hopefully the weather will give me a break, I need one at this point and I'm beginning to want to climb the walls. Take care of you.

Angel

fawn2388

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 11:58:21 PM »
Monday is number 10. This is so fustrating. I hate when people are like 'your dramatic' and stuff.

I would of never asked for this, but niether would I change a thing. It's made me a very humble person but also has made me be able relate to whole range of people. But I guess today is just one of those questioning days. I wonder why I had to take this fall, and why in the first place I have elher danos.

It's so fustrating, probably doesn't help I have an ear/thoart/sinus infection either. :( I just want this to be over with but I got about an other 6 weeks after surgery after 2 I can start PT again. Sorry for complaining its' just hard to get people to understand what it's like to have ALL this happen and I still need my left knee done. I feel like because of my high laxicity when one thing gets done I start an other, My hope is though with starting of swimming I may see myself get better, I'm also going to switch swimming with running, it's going to be hard to give up the love of it but I'm hoping it'll help my skiing.

Sorry to rant, just really fustrated.

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 12:22:57 AM »
Are you hypermobile? A lot of people that ae hypermobile have real flexible joints and it gives them a lot of trouble, like OCD in the knees etc. I know you dont do surgery for fun, who ever thought of doing that, hang in there, there will be an end to it. I'm on nr. 15 now and not finished yet, so I know how you feel, plus I've been having some problems with ENT department with heavy nosebleeds that wont stop and I have to go to the ENT doc to have my nose cauterized! Ak! We've all got our portion of problems, dont think your the only one
Keep your chin up and take courage
Hope everything goes well for you Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
constant pain

fawn2388

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 03:28:20 AM »
I never thought I was the only one  :o I'm so fustrated with everything. I'm only 20 years old. Yes, I am hypermobile

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 05:20:46 AM »
theres many on this web site that has had many ops like you and are feeling despondant, just go around the general section, or read more in spiritual help, and you will see that you not alone :)!! Look up now, dont get retrospective, it doesnt help, and try and find someone who you can sympathize with and write them a line or two, theres plenty of people who could do with your experiences, you can turn your experiences to something positiv, and try to help others through you knowledge of what has happened to you, I know theres many out there who would love to hear from you, especially as your experiences are from one whoes hypermobile. You have special needs, and require special treatments at times. Not everyone is hypermobile, so it would be good to hear the experiences from on who is.
Hope all goes well for you
Love Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »
Wow Only 20 ..  I hate to say it but you are so strong to endure all this at such young age.  I read from your surgery tag line that you been fighting your battle for mobility from a very young age and to have the gift of compassion and understanding.  That is not such a bad thing.

So what are they doing Monday?  Is it same day surgery?   

Hang in there ..   when you are at your best.. who knows you might even go into the medical field.

Will be thinking of you as you go under the knife again.. Sorry to hear you have a cold.  Like you need one now on top of all this. 

You have every right to express your self .. too bad if someone deems it dramatic.  It is how you feel and how you want to express yourself at the moment.   GET all this stress that is building up in your system anyway that you can.. better than keeping it in..

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 08:39:56 AM »
yes, youve really been through it - I sympathize with you. Mine sarted when I was 23 and has gone on since, I do hope for you that your upcoming surgery is a sucess and solves some of your problems, theres nothing worse than surgery after surgery and not getting anywhere, but have faith in your OS. He wouldnt do the surgery if he didnt think it would help you, hang in there, have faith
Love Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 03:05:16 PM »
Hang in their fawn.  Anyone who would say you are dramatic is really lame.  You GET to be as dramatic as you want when you are having so many sugeries........jerks!

Good luck tomorrow!!
Laura
LR 11/2006

fawn2388

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 04:46:55 PM »
Basically one more day with this metal gear sticking out of my leg...

GET IT OUT... now! lol. Tomorrow is the possible redo of the TTT I know I'm getting my screws back and a plate the repair of the LR recon... it just stinks because I've been holding off my left knee for so long I'm like please don't hate me... lol. It's so werid when you read about how 'rare' Elher Danlos is... and than all the people on this site...

fawn2388

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 11:13:15 AM »
Fustrating night, my boyfriend and I kind of a had the fight the night before in the hospital... over stupidness. I was kind of in one of mine "I'm so fustrated and sick of this moods" and it wasn't being helped by that the drugs make me extermly emotionally.... or that sicker than usuall after surgery... and now, I'm still up at 7 in the morning, we got over it, but I'm sick of feeling this helpless and so far away from what I use to be just a couple months ago...

Offline trish85

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
That sucks Fawn.  I understand the frustration just remember what you told me everything happens for a reason.  So keep your head up. :)
R LR 2/02
R TTT/LR 8/02
L LR 1/03
R hardware removal 7/03
L TTT/LR 8/03
L hardware removeal 6/04
L VMO realignment 6/05
L TTT/VMO revision 10/05
R VMO advancement 4/06
L hardware removed 7/06
R VMO recon 9/06
L VMO recon 7/07
L MPFL recon w/ hamstring autograft 3/14/08
EDS type 3

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 11:02:40 PM »
Try to keep your spirits up.  I know hard to do.. when you feel your back to square one and flat on your butt all crabby from pain meds.

Deep breaths ..  Grumpy causes wrinkles.   Take one day at a time .. Your time of getting back on track will be in the near future.   While being crabby is not the best position to be in ..  at least there is a certain level of explanation .. Other people can spend their whole lifes being a sorry piece  and never face what you are facing right now..

fawn2388

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 02:34:16 PM »
Now that I've expirenced a non knee surgery, I dont ever want an other knee surgeryl

fawn2388

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »
Fustrated, I had my 3 actuall dislocation just about in a row, why is my left knee acting up? My doctor thinks that my last dislocation my MPLF (spelling?) tore as my kneecap is extermly lose, he said to see a PT about it, so I call up for an appointment...

for 2 weeks from now.

I hate this system !!! I'm so sick of dealing with this

fawn2388

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2008, 05:34:04 AM »
Really fustarted, does anyone have some positives to help me out ?

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 10:26:19 PM »
BIG HUG!!!!!!!!![/color]
 :)
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

support