Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: You Should be Pro at this - your on number 8  (Read 7471 times)

fawn2388

You Should be Pro at this - your on number 8
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
I am SO sick of hearing about how much I should be use to knee surgery because I've now had 8 surgeries... its' only more fustrating! I'm 20 years old and was told by the current OS that by the age of 25 or I would be considered a possible canditate for PKR or TKR. This doesn't make it any easier. I'm kinda of sick sitting there day after day waiting for to get better doing everything I can.  Gah. i just want this to be all over.

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: You Should be Pro at this - your on number 8
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:24:10 AM »
Well. They are just dumb.  Im sorry. People are never going to get it.  Hang in there.
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:27:59 AM »
Oh. My. Gods.  I've just had knee surgery #3.  If I *ever* get **USED** to this bull Sh**T, SIGN ME UP FOR A RUBBER ROOM AND A WHITE JACKET WITH LONG SLEEVES.  What kind of crap is that... "you must be getting used to it"...  I'd have to ask if they're getting used to the taste of the foot in their mouths.  ;)

Sorry you're putting up with idiots today.
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 01:49:21 AM »
Sorry you've heard that....many of us have and it is very insensitive and way out of line...Multiple surgeries does not make it hurt any less.....make Pt any easier....In fact, it makes it harder in many ways....Hang in there....Hope you're feeling better....Pls know there are many of us out here that have had multiple surgeries and re-curring probs......we have heard the sometimes insensitive remarks that can really add to the hurt and frustration....

Feel Better...

Ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »
It is frustrating to hear remarks like that, especially from people you consider to be close friends. There's a woman I've been friends with since high school who seems to think all my surgeries (I'm up to 6 now) have been elective. I've tried explaining that it's because I keep getting tears in my menisci, which are painful and get worse if I don't do something about them, but she doesn't get it either and has said things like, "How many of these surgeries are they going to let you have?" and "Maybe it's just not going to get any better." That hurts. Fortunately, not everyone is like that. Keep your chin up, Fawn. You have a lot of sympathetic ears here and can vent any time you feel like it.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »
Fawn so sorry that you are putting up with the insensitive remarks like that i too have heard them and then when i had to have tkr i really got them from my boss to my coworkers that i just wanted sympathy and tha i should just walk it off  >:( are they freaking idiots to walk it off
some people just cant put them selves in anothers shoes
like terre said lean on us we are here and we will get you thru all of it most of us are veterans of more than one surgery and we know how bad the more then come the worse they get
just hang in there you have support and friends here
hugs to you
caren
Caren

kiddthekatt

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »
Fawn;
  Like the other posters have stated, people who have never had knee surgery just don't get it. I was very healthy for my age last year in March, I was 52 and had only undergone 1 surgery. I had my tubes tied after Mandi was born. I had 3 surgeries in 7 months to the day from March 22, 07 to Oct. 22, 07. The most insensitive remark I got was from the lady down the road from us. Nosey old bitty. She asked me what contest I was in? I looked at her like I had missed something and she said you know, are you having a contest to see who can have more surgeries in the least amount of time. I looked at her and let loose. People are amazing in the ability to show their ignorance.
   I'm probably looking at several more knee surgeries before it's over, and if people are stupid enough to make a remark about it, I'm ready for them. Just hang in there, we're hear and we've been there.

Angel

fawn2388

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:18 AM »
Thanks, its just really fustrating when people are like was it really all the pain, all those sleepless nights (still having them) and all that rehab. I was like... uh yah, if i can't live my life I think it's a good reason. And than there like your going for a TTT on your left knee.. are you crazy.

NO. I just want to play lacrosse again. I don't want anymore subluxing/dislocations.

On a good note, to anyone who plays Guitar hero, I can now 90% Dragonfroce on expert... the one plus of knee problems ;) they make you have no life.

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »
Hi Fawn,

Sorry to hear that you have to deal with such ignorant people! It's difficult enough dealing with multiple surgeries without the stupid comments from people. I've found that unless you've had knee surgery you have no idea how difficult the recovery can be.After 2 of my major surgeries neighbors were amazed that I was NWB for so long and then didn't walk well for some time after. Guess they think you drop the crutches and should walk perfectly. I don't go into detail when someone asks me how my knee is. You can vent to us anytime you need to since majority of us  on this board know how you feel. Hang in there.

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision

Offline laura_utah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:43:09 PM »
The fact that you have NEEDED eight surgeries in so short of a time stinks.  I'm really sorry for you and know what it feels like.  I was just turned down for a patellofemoral chondral repair by a well-recognized OS because I was a "failed knee surgery patient" having had six previous knee surgeries.  He told me to use PT as a pain management program and learn to live with my pain.  When I got down to bone-on-bone he would consider a TKR.

Instead of getting mad at these idiots, use your tremendous surgical experience for your own benefit.  Assemble all your post-op equipment and order your home-work-school to accomodate your post-op requirements.  Let everyone know what you will need for support (both physical and emotional).  You need every advantage you can get to fight for your knees!  Fight for your knees and don't quit!!!!

Best!
Laura

Offline trish85

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Like everyone has already said its really crazy hoe insensitive people can be. It does only get harder.  I am waiting to hear about my 13 knee surgery as you know.  I am reallly not looking forward to hearing things like that.  But I think I am going to use what megTX  said "are you getting used to having your foot in your mouth"  Everything gets haarder with the more times you go in even scheduling it.  the only thing that has gotten easier for me is the tricks I can do on my crutches. 

But don't let thier ignorance get to you we're here for you if you need to vent.
trish
R LR 2/02
R TTT/LR 8/02
L LR 1/03
R hardware removal 7/03
L TTT/LR 8/03
L hardware removeal 6/04
L VMO realignment 6/05
L TTT/VMO revision 10/05
R VMO advancement 4/06
L hardware removed 7/06
R VMO recon 9/06
L VMO recon 7/07
L MPFL recon w/ hamstring autograft 3/14/08
EDS type 3

Offline themomof5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »
As someone who has 8 surgeries myself and waiting number 9 it makes you want to throttle people who say things like that.  Or wish that many surgeries on them so you can say it back to them.  When people say stupid stuff to me I've learned to come back at them with sarcasim, it's so much because they never quite know if you are serious or not.

I'd say hang in there things will get better but they don't.  Humor will go a long way in making yourself feel better and mentally strong enough to deal with it all.  Good luck.

Offline huma1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 03:47:22 AM »
On a good note, to anyone who plays Guitar hero, I can now 90% Dragonfroce on expert... the one plus of knee problems ;) they make you have no life.

Hahaha, i totally get this. My friends that lived upstairs from me at school used to play guitar hero all the time, & the used to try to get me to play too. Now im stuck at home, & its actually a BIG part of my day. It's so funny how many projects u can take up, how many books u can read, the hours of vidoe games u can play & still have way too much time on ur hands. On the other hand, im sorry people are such jerks. My friends are so used to me being the one that always wants to go out, or do sumthing crazy, or go for a run, or go to a gym .. they still call & ask. I'm like um nooo, sorry i'm kind of injured at the moment & lately i've ben gettin 'oh yeah, i forgot, hasn't it healed yet?'  ::)

fawn2388

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 05:27:19 PM »
thursdays aren't going to be easy, I have to labs and one the night before.. thanks guys, it's nice to see that some people do understand. there was a girl on pink crutches (were would you get those? and WHY?) and a post op brace, when i ask her what happened she was like, oh, nothing, I just want to use the elevator and my dad has gott connections, she's like you got the same idea.

I want to cat fight slap her soooo BAD. I showed her my scar and walked away. i think she didn't end up eatting. WHY would ever fake it? like, it's horirble enough having a real one. On a good note, I won red sox opener tickets at the umass bball game.. go me :) I can still throw a basket with a bad knee. :) So excited

fawn2388

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »
Can't sleep :(