Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Rowing machine  (Read 6235 times)

Offline larkl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rowing machine
« on: February 08, 2008, 01:09:20 PM »
I have osteoarthritis in my knee.  I had to have major surgery on it many years ago and now I have arthritis there.  My knee is somewhat bent from the arthritis, I think it might be bent inwards.  There are bone spurs in there. 
I've gotten into working out on a Concept 2 rowing machine.  A doctor told me (through his PA) that he doesn't recommend the rowing machine because it compresses the patello-femoral joint too much. 
People normally use the rowing machine with bad technique though.  They don't realize there's a technique to using it.  People who don't know how to use it tend to set the drag factor way too high and not kick very hard.  So it's hard to tell what I'm doing, with somewhat better technique, is hard on my knee or not.  I use it with the damper set pretty low and I kick hard (that's how you can get a good aerobic workout on it). 
Rowing doesn't hurt my knee.  But then, I was running when I saw this doctor and he told me unequivocally that running is hard on my knee with osteoarthritis and running on it would cause me to need a knee replacement sooner.  My knee wasn't hurting from running, either.  So not having pain is probably not a good measure of whether it's harmful or not. 
I don't bend my knee a whole lot past 90 degrees when I use the rowing machine, because it's stiff and it doesn't easily bend a whole lot anyway.  So that would likely lessen any problems with rowing. 
Laura
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:13:04 PM by larkl »