Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)  (Read 88603 times)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)
« Reply #315 on: March 26, 2008, 01:22:28 AM »
I am glad your dog is doing okay.  When Marshall (my jack) broke his leg a little over a year ago, I had to put a bag over his leg to take him out.  He was a tiny puppy, so I put a zip lock bag around it with a rubber band at the top of the bandage to keep it on.  I think you said yours is a lab??  You can put a trash bag with a big heavy duty rubber band at the top to help keep it on.  Just a thought.  I am having huge issues with Marshall taking his meds right now!!  He is too smart for his own good!  He knows what we try to do !!  My husband is now handing me the task.  So hopefully I will be successful with it tonight.  We'll see.  I have tried peanut butter, cheese, chicken, and now baby food (recommended by the vet).  He barely even likes to eat his heartguard meds every month that taste like treats.  Aury (my other dog) loves them!  Sometimes she will steal a part that he drops and doesn't eat when we don't notice.  My knee is throbbing now, so I am going to let you go, get some ice, and take care of myself.  Take good care of your dog and your husband.  Is he still sick?  It sounded like he was getting better in a matter of a day or two of being sick!  I wish my knee could heal that fast. 

I am so sorry about your Therapy problems!!  THat doesn't make any sense to me.  You need to call your OS and tell them about it.  They can call companies like that to fix it.  I don't understand the situation, but it sucks for you!  I am so sorry you are dealing with that stress of potentially not getting to continue PT to get your knee fixed!!  It is pretty important to go!!  Too bad stupid companies don't understand that!  I wonder who makes those decisions.  I guess they are the healthiest people in the world!!  Anyway, good luck with it and keep taking care of yourself!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
« Reply #316 on: March 26, 2008, 01:55:26 AM »
Hello Laura,

So glad to here the pup is doing well. I have been thinking of you. It is amazing what the docs can do these days. She will be in my prayers.  I know you are over doing so take it as easy as possible. I saw bluebonnets this weekend. Love Texas in the spring.

Hugs Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #317 on: March 26, 2008, 09:11:05 AM »
Hi Laura,
so glad the doggie is on the mend - poor little guy - bag on the leg to go to the loo!!! He'll be looking sideways at you in that doggie way thinking 'we must all have to have leg surgery' :)

About your insurance, my insurance wont even cover my knee til 2010 - so im paying privately right now for all my OS visits, x-rays, MRI, PT visits etc... cost me around 2000 euro last year - but in Ireland you can claim 41% back from the government if your insurance doesnt cover it so I got most of it back.

Itll be the same if they are doing a surgery - Im either paying or going public - but the wait would be so long to go public that I wont do it.

It sucks - but there is no price on your health.

Definitely get your OS to write to the insurance company.
xx
tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #318 on: March 26, 2008, 09:49:40 AM »
Laura,  so glad to hear your dog came through surgery OK. 

I'm cringing when I read about your insurance company.  I had the same problem with mine and ended up going to PT less often because of it.  Your Dr. can write a "letter of medical necessity" but most insurance companies just ignore it.  Maybe you'll be lucky and it will work for you.  Hope so.  Sometimes you can work with the PT place too.  With insurance I was paying a $30 copay twice a week and when my insurance refused to pay anymore I just started going once a week at their regular rate of $60.  So it ended up being the same amount.  I just went less often.  Not the best solution but at least I was able to keep going a little bit.  You'd be surprised how much you can do on your own.  They'll print out sheets of exercises you can do at home.  It's not a substitue for one on one PT but at least you're doing something.  Good luck with it!   

Lenore
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #319 on: March 26, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am trying to fight my insurance company. I wont give up easily. My PT has tried to fight wtih them already. I called my company HR department. They said we have a corporation called "health advocate" that is a benefit to us. They will fight my insurance company for me to get me proper benefits. So I called that company yesterday, they took my name, my PT, my doctor, info on my surgery and the PT visits and they are going to start working on it for me.  They will call people and hassle people etc. I was SOOO happy...doenst mean it will work...but the jerk that is telling my PT that " I have had PT for a year and a half, I should know what to do by now"  ...well...that jerk is going to have a LOT of hassles on his plate now.  I WONT give up easy. And..I have some friends that are lawyers, I can get them to write some notes threatening them for not giving me care too.  I have 156 visits under my company. I should get to use them. 

Anyway.  Good news. I went without my immobilzer for the third day today. Im walking faster every day....still requre the crutch though. The knee does give way so I know that I need it.   Im elevating it a lot and icing, etc.  Working on bending it at work.  While listening to my patients I can bend my knee on the ground for practice....it feels good to get to move it around verses stuck in that one straight position!

My Dog Abby. I have her home tonight. She has a huge red cast on her leg with a few toenails sticking out. She is having a hard time walking and looks like she didnt sleep for a day.....she is passed out now on her pain meds.  The dog speciality clinic was great and probably treated her better than I have EVER gotten treated somewhere. THe doctors were great..called several times about her and personally gave dismissal information. The nurse/vet techs there made this bag for her foot out of an old IV bag. It is a tough plastic and they put a blue ribbon through it sorta like a purse string...so when she goes outside I put that IV bag over her leg and tie the ribbon around the cast.  So smart and it wont tear!  What a great idea and so thoughtful to make them for the doggies.  Taking care of this cast for 2 months is going to be tough...hopefully she doesnt start eating the cast!

I still cant upload pictures. I cant figure out how. So...I made an ofoto album of my doggies surgery pics and my pre and post op Knee pics.

Laura

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=al88c8v.3ljdytpj&x=0&y=-iq5gju&localeid=en_US
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:03:42 AM by austinknee »
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

dileigh

« Reply #320 on: March 27, 2008, 02:17:20 AM »
Laura,

I have United Health also, and only get 20 pt visits.  They break down things that a lot of other companies call PT visits, so I would check on that.   I get like 20 occupational therapy, 20 chiropractor, etc.  Maybe that's how they got to the 156 visits?  my PT and I have already discussed this and will keep the office visits to a minimum to make them last.

Diana

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #321 on: March 27, 2008, 02:51:22 AM »
Thanks Diana...unfortunately....I do have the 156 PT visits.  I work in a medical office...and spoke with our HR person..we have those visits..but united doesnt like to lt you use them unless you are in a hospital rehab setting.....sigh. 
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #322 on: March 27, 2008, 02:54:08 AM »
So how is your knee despite all your doggy and insurance craziness?  I hope it is okay!  Congrats on not wearing the immobilzer as much!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #323 on: March 27, 2008, 09:09:04 AM »
Hey Laura,
Fantastic photo album!!! Poor Abby - so CUTE with the cast!!!! and that mournful doggie face!!! You guys - I miss having a dog so much!!!!

GREAT pics of your knee. I cant believe that old LR scar - like a giant dimple - just looked 'wrong'. You certainly got a fine looking scar out of this surgery didnt you??? That was pretty amazing seeing how swollen it got after surgery - initally it didnt look so bad, then lots of it!! But its definitely looking better recently. And of course - despite all the trials and tribulations - you look fresh faced and pretty!

Sounds like youre doing great now - no immobiliser and able to bend in work - coooool!!!!!

so - does it feel more stable??????

You really sound (and look) like youre doing well, I know there is plenty of work ahead but its good that youre on the right track now.
I hope you get your insurance company sorted out - its disgraceful how they behave to people.
xx

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2008, 05:17:49 PM »
How cute!  A puppy knee geek.  Does she have her own postop diary?  Where's her CPM and iceman?

Your knee pics are amazing.  Wow!  That's one serious scar.  Hope you continue healing well and win your battle with the insurance company for PT.  Maybe they should see your pics and then they'd have a clue why you still need PT.
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »
How cute!  A puppy knee geek.  Does she have her own postop diary?  Where's her CPM and iceman?

I agree!!! we need kneegeeks for dogs!!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2008, 08:12:26 PM »
bye guys - its been fun - but unfortunately you guys are just not as CUTE as the fluffsters on dogster!!!! so ill be over there from now on :) oh ok just kidding!!!

yaaaaa!!!! Foster is a sweetie!!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

dileigh

« Reply #328 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:22 PM »
I love Foster! ;D    I was lucky enough that a therapy dog came to visit while I was in the hospital. Didn't reallllly need one, but would never pass up on a chance to pet a dog.

Diana

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #329 on: March 28, 2008, 12:16:08 AM »
Cute dogs. A site like that could trap someone online for days!!.

Week 7 post op is tomorrow.  WOW.  Who knew and time flys.   I completed my work week without my brace all week. Walking pretty darn fast with one crutch...and several times find myself walking to part of the office, leaning the crutch up and walking away without it..ha ha..my co workers wiill hold it up like um...dont you need this??    Im still swelling at the end of the day and still ice with my ice machine at lunch every day, after patients every day and at night.  I love this ice machine.  Im taking Tylenol or Advil depending on the day. I slept without Benadryl last night pretty well although I certainly sleep better with it.  I still cant use the extension part of my leg but I guess Im really not supposed to be using it yet....so until thy tell me to...Im just not even worrying about it....ok, thats a partial lie...i worry about it...but...I dont cry about it.   Plan to book my return flight to Georgia today...hope to fly in and out in one day and get home to my doggie who is post op as well. (she is doing well by the way..sleeps lots and is loving the extra food she is getting with her meds...3 days down for her..and 7 1/2 weeks left to go. Hope it flys by for her like it has for me).

Still have this odd bump thing on top of my knee. It is hard, like a pointy rock under my skin right on top of my patella. It hurts, it is non mobile...it is odd. The PT thinks it is an inflammed suture..but I have no idea what he would have sutured there...cant wait to hear what he says and really rally hope it is no big deal. Wish he could numb the knee up and poke a hole nad cut that thing out! ha ha.....

My incision IS huge isnt it??   At least that hole in my knee is gone. I thought you all would like those pictures!!!

Hope everyone is well. My doggie appreciates all the kind notes.

Laura
LR 11/2006

support