Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)  (Read 88604 times)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)
« Reply #255 on: March 12, 2008, 01:58:34 PM »
Hi laura,
Its not that big of a lump at all when my leg is bent - but straight it IS lumpy - but its totally soft now - im sure part of it is the scar tissue from the incision too but under that it was harder at first.
oh i didnt have a clue when i had my op - its only in recent years that ive understood what happened.
i would definitely massage the tissue if i were you. i had a BIG dislocation around 3 or 4 years after surgery and my OS reckons I may have pulled out some of the repair work done then, its possible i tore some scar tissue too.

im thinking of leaning heavily on my OS about wanting to get pregnant (even though i want to actually get married first!!) and seeing if that helps cos he may take it into consideration? I rang and pulled my appointment back to May 15th instead of mid June - just figured I needed to see him earlier than later.
I think if you are ready for it go for it - like you say it could take months, but then again you cant wait forever either and if your knee is slowly improving then do it. my knee is NOT slowly improving anymore so thats putting me off for now.

to upload a pic save your pic somewhere on your hard drive and when you are posting there is an underlined 'Additional Options' under the posting box on the left hand side (you can only see it while you are typing a post - not reading), click that and it opens up new options and one is to attach a file - use that to navigate to your pic and there you go. it only takes smallish files.

I will try for a quad size pic tonight - but i dont know if itll work or wil the muscle be visible in a pic.
meanwhile if you want to know what i look like go to the 'help please!!' thread under general and i posted a pic of me there :)
xx
tanya

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
Laura, you are posting on everyone else's diaries, but not updating everything on yours!!  Haha!!  I read on Brianne's about your meltdown you had today!!  I can relate, but thankfully not from recently!!  My last one was last week except for the times I have been wanting to cry in pain recently.    Anyway, you will get through this.  You are still early.  It still sounds like you are off to a good start.  I liked how your PT made you list out everything you had done to your knee...that was cool...made you realize that you need to relax and think that this is not going to be a short journey to recovery!  I should tell myself that, but all I had was a TTT.  It seems yours was much more invasive.  At least you can get through a day with advil and benadryl...here I am sitting waiting for 12:30am to roll around to take 2 more vicodin to hopefully get to sleep.  I am also praying that I am not getting addicted to this stuff!!  Anyway, good luck and you are really doing well...just take it easy on yourself.  It's like the pot calling the kettle black!  Anyway, get some sleep...if you are not already at 12am!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
but all I had was a TTT. 

wow Farrah - ALL you had was a TTT - eh they cut into bones and moved things around!!!!! its not a small surgery!!!! you made me laugh teasing Laura about updating other peoples diaries, I was only thinking the same myself!

Dont worry about the pain killer addiction, believe me when you dont need the drugs you wont take them, but you need them when you have pain, no two ways about it.

Ive been crying a lot recently too - pain wears you down and makes you so low - but dont worry - it will get better!!! Youve been doing so well recently despite the pain!!

Ive had enough of my knee - I almost feel like sterlising the kitchen knife and performing a bit of DIY on it myself!!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi guys!  ha ha...sometimes i dont remember where I have posted..haha....I guess its off my chest and in here somewhere so I forget where it goes!

Yes...I dont know when I started my melt down this week.  I had a very busy work week. Husband was out of town Sun-Tues....No one to help me at home....people at work have already forgotten I have had surgery sort of.....carrying in my own ice machine....the inevitable questions of "how long do you have to wear that thing, are you still on crutches"....people asking ME to go get THEM things in the office...are you freaking kidding me......and then just too many patients by poor chance.........

So...Mon great...Tuesday good.....Wed tried to take less Pain meds....and no Benadryl....then Thurs busy work day and melt down at PT....I was angry and tired.....and swollen...etc.......so...last night I took my advil and my benadryl and slept  practically sitting up with my ice machine going......Today...I woke up in a good mood...some friends came over for coffee in the morning and to look at my husbands projects....then I had PT at 1100.  I was in good mood.  She did squat load tolerance on the total gym today and I got to 44 pounds with absolutely no pain. She didnt test any higher b/c she said she didnt want to make me hurt again...then I did the same ole PT routine...>BUT...the one thing that has thrown me for a loop.....She said I should consider going to counseling......So...That caught me off guard.  Now...I have done that before in life for other issues.....but...I honestly dont think Im at that point now....and it sorta pissed me off.   Just b/c I have one melt down at PT doesnt mean I need to be shipped off for counseling the next day.  So... I said I would think about it...but that I dont really have time or money to do it.  ( I just paid 3500 in all my surgery bills this morning).......and between work all day....PT on my lunch hour...and PT on Friday I dont want to do anything else...and PT is 75 bucks a week....etc.    So she says "well how much is your mental health worth"?   Anyway......I just feel like a little crying is normal...and I know she is trying to be helpful but it made me mad.  Im stiill pissed and it is 400 now.     Anyway....she also made some comment about me being on this site looking at how everyone else is doing and readng research all the time as some indicator of something.....is she saying Im obsessive???? ha ha ha.....well...Hell....I know that...dont knee someone to tell me that.  Anyway...she also said that maybe I need someone to help me process how my life has changed and how I have lost "who I was"......and I said....Well...I dont expect this to be permanent. I EXPECT to get better.....so...if you are saying I WONT get better then I need to know that now....she said that is not what she meant.

Ok. So.. I KNOW where she is coming from. I have offered counseling to many of my patients....but..I guess I just didnt think I was doing all that bad.

Thats my vent. :-)

So.  BEFORE surgery I could only do a squat load tolerance of 33 pounds on one leg.....today I did 44 poundss on one leg...and I think I could have done more but she didnt let me.    So...Im celebrating that fact .  My pain is better today b/c I popped 3 advil this morning and have been sitting on the couch since PT.......I sorta wanted to get off hte advil and beneadryl so we could think about the  baby thing.  HA HA....when she asked me why I didnt take my advil on Wednesday like normal I didnt DARE tell her I was considering putting a baby on this knee...ha ha...she might have sent me to the crazy bin right then and there........   (ok. so, my dad commited suicide when I was 15... I have HAD counseling.....I dont want to go again...ha ha...not yet I guess......).....

It is beautiful day here.....in the 90s already though......hot!   Tonight I think my honey is taking me to home depot to buy flowers to put on my back porch.  yeah!.....

Hope you all are having good days....now I will go read and post on your topics.

oh. funny. The "I" key fell out of my laptop so to type an I have have to beat my computer..ha ha...

Laura
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
You have peer to peer support.  There is venting and listening to someone.  Like it or not we do not like to think of ourselfs as disabled after surgery but .. Knee surgery and knee problems in general are very depressing.  Things are tuff and it is ok to have a pity party and invite someone sometimes.  I think you were just looking for a person to listen to you for a moment and motivate you that things will get easier.  Unless she is really trying to tell you that your surgery didnt work and your going to be like this for the long haul... Than I'd suggest you making some calls to your OS

Believe me I was on crutches and had to carry my laptop into work up a hill for about a year.  Believe me unless they walk a mile in your shoes .. they can't really offer you much other than..   tea/sympathy/expense account for all this counseling.

Actually my OS thought it was great that I was learning and reading up on what goes on.. It prepared me in big time way.. Actually empowered me to know and understand why certain treatments were not suited for me. 

Three advil to keep your pain levels down is nothing.. take it with food and enjoy your new knee strength coming back. It aint easy at times ..

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
 ;D  thanks!!

yes...i need an expense account.  My doggie is scheduled for surgery on the 25th....she needs an account too!!!

LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
Hello Laura...it is okay to cry and get upset.  I have done it in front of my last two PTs.  They never suggested counseling.  Of course they see way worse problems and just know that patients that are normally very active have problems settling down and resting and being patient.  I am sure your PT meant that in a nice way to help you get through it.  When I was up last night waiting for 12:30am to roll around to take more pain meds, I researched pain management doctors and what they are and what they do.  I learned that it covers not only pain meds like pills, but injections, massages, x-rays, any kind of imaging really, physical therapy, and counseling!  I had to read that last one twice...but yes, counseling is part of the pain management process...not sure why, but it is there.  So I guess it is all part of the recovery process.  You have to have a positive attitude to get better.  Yesterday, my OS said that I need to think positive or it will be very difficult....duh!! Anyway, I just wanted to share my little bit of research with you.  I ultimately think it is okay to get upset now and then.  I asked my coworkers today about my attitude over the last few months, and they have definately noticed some depression in my attitude.  I am usually this happy cheerful worry-free person, but lately I have been in tears or in just a crappy mood 2-3 days a week.  It seems the other days, I am just quiet and stick to myself.  I hate that I have changed like that, but I guess it just comes with the surgery package.  One positive thing I can say is that yesterday at the beginning of PT, there was a guy that had a surgery two days before his PT apt, and I was so happy not to be in his shoes...literally!!  Yes, I am still on crutches, but I can move around....not painfree, but I can do it.  The first 2-3 weeks after surgery, I literally couldn't control my muscles...so that is something I guess. 

As far as this website goes...I told my first PO PT about it, and he flipped out saying that these websites are horrible b/c you compare yourself to the other people and get bad ideas.  I disagree, but haven't shared my participation in this with any other medical professionals.  I know that everyone is different, but I use this more to vent myself and get some support than to hear about any bad things from other people.  I will try to support those people, but not worry about whatever happened to them happening to me.  I think that is the best way to use these websites.  My old PT also said the only people on these websites are people who have had unusual recoveries or difficult recoveries.  He said it is bad to hear about everyones problems instead of all good things.  Ya know?  It makes sense, but they still don't understand why we like these types of websites.  Unless they give us a list of patients that had the same surgery so we can talk to them, this is the next best thing, right??? I really love it and don't know what I would do without it.  Some of you guys have motivated me to do or say things that I would have never done.  I just love the support.  I think my case is getting really boring b/c I am getting less and less responses, but it still feels great to vent.   I know that my case is boring b/c everyday I report pain.  Nobody wants to read about that. 

I hope you sleep tonight!!!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
Tornadoes in downtown atlanta tonight!!!  Thank goodness nothing in my area!!  The damage looks bad..here is a video that was played tonight on the news channels.

http://www.11alive.com/video/default_live.aspx?storyid=112917

11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
I saw that on the news here tonight too!

you are not boring...silly!

:-)
LR 11/2006

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
jeeeez.....
dont tell your PT about me or theyll have me shipped off to a full blown mental institution complete with straitjacket!!!
seriously though - ive had 2 full days of meltdowns, including that crying jag that you can go into where youre just hitching and hitching and you can barely breathe!!! its normal isnt it??!!! I sure thought it was!!!

Counselling is a great idea for coming to terms with stuff but if youre knee is gonna be getting better now and youre only experiencing ordinary frustrations then youre FINE!!!!

or maybe - are we all crazy here???? and we all justify it to each other because we're all the same!!! Funny enough the movie K-Pax was on tv last night and I thought all the crazy people in it were the normal ones :) Yikes - are the men in the white coats coming for me!!!! arrrrghhhhhh.......

Farrah - youre so not boring - at all!!!! its funny you said about telling a PT about this site and them saying it was a bad idea - i havent told any of the medical people about it!!!! In case they came on and saw what I was saying about them!!!!
I think its a great idea - we can all relate cos we all suffer the same way!!!

Right - Im off to cry my eyes out and bang my head against the wall :) ok ok not really!!!!
xx
tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
Tanya.....I hear you....I probably could use someone in a white coat to come after me....ha ha......she just thinks Im nuts b/c I pay attention to every little detail in my knee....BUT...If I dont pay attention..NO ONE WILL....We ALL know that is true.....if she had spent a year trying to tell 8 doctors that somethiing was wrong with her..and no one listened...she would be a little obsessive too.   :-)

Tanya....Im sorry you are so upset.  I TOTALLY know what you mean.  It is so scary to be where you are right now.  I have been there for almost two years. The only reason that I am currently hanging by a better thread is that I have a glimmer of hope that my knee might be better.  But.....there are lots of good doctors out there.  I think the fact that your muscle has regained strength is HUGE......so...when you do get the magical fix....maybe/probably some sort of realignment of sorts...you will be SOO strong to recover.  My PT says my recovery is going to be really long b/c I have NO muscle in my leg before....you are doing good things for your future recovery so dont give up on it......  Im so sorry you are so sad.   :-[

For me....just another day. I did sleep without benadryl last night....not a sound sleep but I did sleep somewhat.  Im up on the couch....7am...ice pack on knee...coffee in hand......another exciting day.    Oh......my husband and I did go to Home Depot last nght..he had lots of things to buy and I was going to buy plants....so....i went into the nursery part and started crutching along...I put one plant into my basket...walked around some more..then decided no way..my knee was screaming SIT DOWN......so..I left the nursery...went over the lawn furniture section and found a chaise lounger....sat there until he was done shopping.,.....so...there you go...the knee says no shopping yet....I have to respect that and so I am back on the couch.  I wonder how long it will take to function again.........ah....the question we all have!

Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hey Laura,
youre so right - you have to pay most attention cos no one else does when you beg them to!!! thats where i am!!

you know youre so right about the time ive been putting in on the PT - my boyfriend keeps saying that to me too - its not wasted time by any means, you need the muscle no matter what - but its bugging me so much that Ive KNOWN for 3 years that my knee has not been right and all I seem to get is 'more physio more physio' - well not anymore. I dont mind doing it anyway but Ive accepted now its not gonna work. Ill be having a serious discussion with my physiotherapist monday week about this - and my GP. And then Ill just stick with the program til May when I see the OS - at least Ill have big muscles going in.

You know when I had no VMO I used to get terrible pain from being on my feet for just a couple of minutes - i promise - it goes when the muscles get better and start kicking in.

Thats great news that youll be able to start on the vmo type exercises proper in a week or so - whooo hoooo - what fun :) dont worry, you'll do it. You can keep a mental image of my non existant VMO in mind and remember that from the time it started firing it only took 3/4 months for it to get good sized. Its still a bit smaller than the good side, but its big enough to do its job now just walking about - and its not.

Im hoping I just need some kind of soft tissue reconstruction - i doubt they would bother revising my TTT - its 20 years old now? If they could just tighten up the capsule the knee sits in itd help!!! It actually looks baggy to the naked eye!! And whem my legs are just straight in front of me no contraction of the quads the right kneecap is so free floating, I understand that there is supposed to be some movement but not as much as there is.
xx
tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
Tanya...mine was the same way....my good knee...it moves quite a bit..but my bad knee..before the surgery..I could move the knee cap totally over almost off the side of my leg...I could pick it up and turn it almost 90 degrees perpendicular to my leg.....it was crazy.  When I contracted it....it would lock down and go where it needed to..but at rest it just floated around all over the place......yikes.    Hang in there......someone eventually has to listen especially when you have crazy muscle and STILL problems
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
12:25pm, lots of pain, more tornado warnings our way!!

11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
tornado warning...NOW!!  I am going to the basement now!!  See ya!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

support