Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)  (Read 83999 times)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction in Georgia!
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
Laura, i will be down there on the 21st of this month. that is next thursday. i have an appt with doc at 1:30. my hubby is going to take the day off and drive me down. yeah,,,, that means that i get to sleep all of the way home lol. if i took my daughter, i would be too nervous about her driving thru atlanta to sleep but with him, i can nap ,,,,,,, alll of the way home. maybe we will get a chance to meet next week.
keep up the hard work and let us know what doc tells you.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »
Laura, it's nice that you can e-mail your OS!  It is also nice that they respond!  Keep up your good work.  let us know what your OS says again!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 12:13:08 AM »
Had my 2nd PT today out of the hospital day 5.    I tried to take less pain meds this morning and did ok until I did my morning exercises. Then my leg was hurting a bunch. I knew taht I had to get past 90 today to avoid the dreaded MUA so I took 2 pills before PT.

When I got to PT my head was swimming. Great...not a good way to start PT.  Then my doctor walks in. ha ha...even greater. I felt like I was dizzy and could throw up. Thats not a good way to explain why I left the hopsital early. ha ha....Anyway, he didnt know I felt like that. He sat down and watched me try to get to my 90 degrees. I guess it is a good thing that I had my meds on board. I got to 90...maybe slightly more than that. It hurt quite a bit.   Anyway, I got through my exercises a little bit better today. The quad is moving the patella some.  I asked the PT about patella mobilizations today...she asked the doctor..he said...you could try them...but I dont think she will tolerate them.  My knee is still swollen.  How swollen are your knees when you start your patella mobilizations?  Does it hurt a lot?   Anyway, he said I was doing better than expected and if I keep up the good work I might get to go home to Austin sooner than expeted.

For my back, they are going to let me see the manual therapist tomorrow to see if he can help me with my crazy back pain. It is so much worse since surgery.  I think I take my pain med more for my back than for my knee!

:-) anyway....thats a good day so far.  Hope it keeps getting better and hope that my knee is fixed.  Only time will tell!

Laura
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 12:36:32 AM »
Hey Laura!  Congrats on making 90+ even though you were on lots of pain killers!  I finally got my phone call from my OS!  It was actually the PA!  Better him than nobody.  I get to skip PT tomorrow!  With the amount of very sharp pain it causes, I am so excited about that.  Se he called in two prescriptions for me: darvocet for the pain and lunesta for sleeping.  I don't know how much of the lunesta I will be taking, but it may be worth it!  He was worried about the around the knee cap pain, but he said he they could take a look at it on Thursday during my newly scheduled OS apt.  It was originally on Friday.  Anyway, I am so happy for you and your accomplishments!  I bet it was weird that your doctor was at your PT appointment.  Is your PT within the Hughston clinic?  My doc has that, but insurance doesn't accept it. It would make communication between PT and doc easier!  I bet you will be so worried about communication once you get back to Austin!  By the way, I am from San Antonio originally!  We used to be neighbors (depending on how long you have lived there).  I lived there from 1987-1997.  Anyway, keep up the good work with PT!  Don't take too many pain meds!!  Now you are going to be under pressure to begin increasing your ROM from 90!!  Good luck with that!! I'm sure you can do it.

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 12:46:09 AM »
Thanks Farrah.  I moved to Austin in 96. :-)

Yes, the PT is in the same building as the Hughston office. They told me I shoudl go see him after I had PT...but the clinic was running way behind...so he came over and saw me. That was lucky. Im sure it is only b/c I am from out of town that he did that.   I asked him about all the crazy blood thinners I was on in the hospital. He said it was excessive. I thought so too...the resident/fellowship doctor must have written the order. They were giving me 4 aspirin and Lovenox twice a day. I thought that was NUTS. Now I am only on one lovenox shot a day.  Anyway, he gave me a prescription for Ultram ER..says it might help more than my Darvocet and not knock me out as much. He only gave me 12 so we will see.  He said I could also try to put the Advil between the other things to see if it helps.

Yes, Im worried about going back to Austin and not havng any idea on how I am doing.  I will see if I can email him pictures of my knee or questions along the way!

Im glad that you got in sooner too.  I hope the new sleep medicines help.  I will check in on you to see what they say your patella problems are!  Hang in there.

Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 02:54:50 AM »
That's so funny that your doctor is switching you from Darvocet to Ultram ER!  I was taking Ultram ER...actually have been for about 1.5 yrs or so for my back.  Well it wasn't helping my knees at all.  So that is why my knee OS called in the darvocet.  He said it is stronger than Ultram ER.  What dosage are you taking?  I was on 200mg daily.  It is more of a long term medication.  Once my knee stuff is all over I will be going back to Ultram.  I love it!!  I started with percocet out of surgery.  Anyway, I took 2 darvocet about 45 minutes ago and am not feeling any different yet.  Oh well.  I wasn't able to get the lunesta b/c my insurance is requiring a special authorization from my doctor...so that may take a week!!  Hopefully not. 

So we were neighbors in TX for about a year!  Haha!  I would love to go back and live there, but I hated the heat!!  Atlanta is a perfect place as far as weather.  Cold in the winter with a little bit of snow and not hot hot hot in the summer.  It's perfect.  I actually lived in New Braunfels during my 10 years that I was living in TX. I loved the small town atmosphere.  Atlanta is not small!  :)  The convenience of everything at your fingertips is nice though. 

Anyway, good luck! 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 03:12:52 AM »
New Bransfels has grown quite a bit since you left...so has Austin. It is unreal. We have high rise condos going up everywhere...a toll road system...and crazy traffic.  Dripping Springs, Buda, Driftwood....all not really that far out of town these days. Its a shame when a town like Austin grows up really. It loses its charm.

Anyway. I think he gave me the option of the Ultram because I was complaining about the Darvocet. And, I do have a chronic back problem since my last knee problem. The Darvocet...knocks me on my butt when I take it. I cant keep my eyes open about 2 hours after I take it. So, I was actually hoping to find something I could take that would give pain relief but not knock me out.  So, I guess you can function on that med? ..that is good. I still have a rx for darvocet, I have a full bottle of vicodan (b/c I got itchy) and I have a left over bottle of percocet my mom gave me from her recent bunion surgery. Ha.  the people at the airport are going to think I have a problem.  I guess if I show them the HUGE inciison down my leg they would understand.  Funny thing..I dont like narcotics...but I have a huge bag of them here.

I think I did too much today. My knee swelled more today and my ankle got swollen for the first time since surgery.  I still dont have ANY bruising which is odd but I took a surgical dosage pack of Arnica Montana this time to help. I think it did.  My back is KILLING ME.  I wonder if they got a disc out of place while moving my leg around or something. It is awful.  Im back on the bed flat as a board with my knee in the icey squeezing machine...hope that helps!  Oh...and my crazy nerve pain in my calf is back wtih a vengence. The doctor said it might be coming from my back.  I hope it is....because I want people to leave my knee ALONE from now on.....

:-)
Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 03:37:37 AM »
My back always hurt after surgery.  I guess you dont realize how you are beling flipped around.  I guess prior to any future surgery's I will stretch out a few.   I think I read somewhere they pipped warm air on you.   I had like a blanket of warm tubed air during and just ready to leave the OR.  I think I was shaking due to the shock.  The cold of the OR plus the trauma your body goes threw.

It is snowing like crazy here now. 

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2008, 03:41:42 AM »
yes...exactly. I always shake post op. In my last surgeyr I had it bad...this time not at all b/c of the warming shirt. It was great!

No snow here. We are  under a tornado warning in Georgia. Of course, I have no idea what county I am in..or where I am on the map they are showing on TV....yikes!  Not thinking I can run very fast for shelter!

:)
Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »
HI Laura,
you know it sounds like youre having a rough time, but considering your surgery youre actually doing very well!!!

Im so sorry that your back is hurting - and you know it probably is because of them flipping you about in surgery.

I left you a detailed VMO re-building post on the other thread - but dont worry too much about doing that just yet, you need to heal girl!!!

Your ROM is doing great - overall although its sucky being in a hotel room and not able to do anything you are really making the most of the situation by posting on here and getting on with your PT etc....

Hang in there!!
xx
Tanya

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2008, 12:43:19 PM »
Laura, good work getting to 90 degrees in PT. Doc does like to come over and viisit in PT when we out of towners are in there. I have actually had to drive to GA just to see Dan in PT and instead of having an appt with Doc Flandry, he just comes over to see me while I am in one of the private rooms at PT. It does make the waiting time shorter (not waiting in both waiting rooms, only one). He usually has me see Dan after my visitis with him (especially since I am in the clinical trial, they are both charting my progress).

After having 6 surgeries at the Hughston Clinic (long distance), I have never had a problem about communication between my OS, his PT, and my at home PT.  It will work out, dont worry so much. who is your PT at Hughston? Dan is very good at keeping in touch with local PTs.
hope that whichever pt you have is equally as good at keeping in touch.

keep up wiht the good work. hope pt today is easier.
missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »
Laure, you are about 2 hrs away from me and I didn't know any of GA was under a tornado warning!  I am glad I didn't know!   I was in my house in 2000 when a tornado came through.  It was the scariest time of my life!   You are in Augusta, right? 

How many mg of Ultram are you taking?

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 01:27:56 PM »
Farrah, laura is in columbus GA, at the main hughston clinic. we share the same OS.

what OS are you seeing in atlanta? I live in SC but drive to GA to see Doc Flandry.

missy

ps, i have ultram as one of my pain management drugs too and it works pretty well for me , without making me sleepy or loopy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
Oh yeah!  Columbus!  Still a few hours from me.  I new it was one of those medium sized cities a few hours from where I live.  I see Dr. Gillogly at Atlanta Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Center.  I have seen him and Dr. Garten (sports med doc) for about 2.5yrs.  I love them.  They are very smart and really great.  I just don't like the call back time!  I like how Dr. Gillogly operates within the office though.  Every time I see him, I also see the PA.  So the PA is always on top of what is going on.  So the PA is the one that always "returns" phone calls.  He is really easy to talk to.  Dr. Gillogly is too.  I have a hard time speaking the whole truth about what I am experiencing.  So it actually took a lot for me to complain about the pain I have been experiencing lately.  I am so glad I did though. 

Hughston clinic is suppose to be really really great.  Back in 1998 or 1999 when I was visiting a location in Duluth, GA my doctor couldn't figure out why my back pain wasn't gone even after my fracture was healed.  So he transferred me to Emory Orthopedics and Spine Center to Dr. Hubbell.  Dr. Hubbell didn't want to see me at first b/c I was only 17.  Well he gave in and was surprised that Hughston Clinic referred me to him.  So that is when I learned that they are really good.  Emory is good too though.  I have been seeing Dr. Hubbell since then.  I have been through so many different treatments (of course no surgery) with him that he finally just prescribed me meds to alleviate my pain.  I was a gymnast, so I have tons of issues with my back...none of which are fixable through surgery.  At least not yet.  I feel like my doctor is just waiting for it to get worse.  As long as pain meds work, I don't care!!  My knees are just another issue!  My back doctor didn't want me to go through with the surgery I had on Jan 8th.  He started offering all these alternatives, and I said I already did them.  I think he was mainly concerned about my back pain during all of it.  I have been okay.  The first 2 weeks were horrible, but so was the knee pain.  Once I started moving around more, I was better....as long as I had some type of medication.

Anyway, I am sure that is way more than what you wanted to know!! :)  My meds are making me feel weird!  This is the first time during the day to take the darvocet.  I am tired and woozy.
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 02:58:07 PM »
Good morning all.  Well....Farrah, no tornado..ha.. I guess the warning was on the border btw alabama and georgia....Im in Columbus in a hotel room. ha ha. I can tell you how to get from here, to the car, to the PT and back. :)  oh..and to the pharmacy.   ;D    

I dont know the dose of Ultram yet..they didnt have it in yesterday and we have to go back today to get it after PT.

I was so confident yesterday that I was doing well b/c the doctor said I might go home early...but then last night my knee and ankle were more swollen. I laid with it elevated.  At night, I went to sleep..took my pain meds..and put the ice machine on.  The ice part seems to be burning the upper part of my thigh. I woke up and it was hurting so I took the ice machine off and went back to sleep.  I slept all night long in all sorts of positions. Well...this morning I woke up in HORRIBLE pain. The inner part of my leg. I wanted to cry...I just was pokiing my husband saying..ice machine..ice machine...ha ha...he got up and put my leg back in the machine..>I took two Darvocet...and now...1 hr 45 min later and I am ok.   Maybe I should just NOT sleep anymore until I get better! :-)

Thanks Tanya for the VMO info. I will go read it on the other thread.  The pain this morning was right there where he did the VMO advancement. It was the first time I have hurt there at all. Not sure why all the sudden that part hurt. OUCH.

Missy.....I was hoping to get Dan but I didnt. I have Kim.  I have only seen her a few times. Idont know if she is a good one or not.  She doesnt really tell me anything that insightful.  She is ok..but probably not stellar.  Thats ok...I love my PT at home and she is very good so at least I will have her to go home too.  I dont know where the private PT rooms are..Im out on the big blue mat.  I do get to see some other guy today that is their manual therapit. He is going to see if my SI joint is out of place or what the deal is with my back.

Missy, I know you are coming in next Thurs. Im glad your husband can drive you down.  I am flying out on Friday morning as of now...but we might get to go home sooner if I am doing well so I will just have to keep you posted!

Do you guys know how long it takes to be able to lift your leg up off the bed. I still have to drag mine off with my hand..and my husbnad has to pick it up like a log to put it back on the bed. I guess that is normal...just dont know how long it takes to be able to do that simple task. Rolling over in bed is hard too....

:-) Thanks for all the positive notes. Trying to keep my chin up!
Laura

Farrah, I just read your note you posted while I was posting.  Yes, the darvocet makes me feel that way too. It is generally 2 hours after I take it and I feel all woozy. hard to keep my eyes focused on the computer....sleepy...etc.   Im sorry you have chronic back pain. It is the pits.  I really had no idea how bad back pain was until I got it the last year or so. You are right....resting too much is terrible for the back......being up and around makes it so much better.  I hope the knee pain gets better so you can get your mobility back and help your back out.  :-(
LR 11/2006

support