Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)  (Read 84010 times)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction in Georgia!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »
Hi Laura,

Glad to hear that your surgery went well.

Sounds like you will be glad to get out of the hospital. I hope you can get out soon.

Good luck with your rehab !!!  ;)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
Ok.  It is the second day(or third night) after surgery.  I am free from the hospital, Yipee!  I just got myself settled into my extended stay hotel and ate some yummy olive garden dinner and popped some vicodan. Life will be good soon.  As soon as my pain medicine kicks in my hubby plans to help me take a shower.  This handicap room is great b/c it has a walk in shower with a shower chair and a hand held shower thing. I can sit in there and wash my hair I cant wait!

So....good news. I had PT today. They came to my room and got me up walking the hall with touchdown on my toe. They made me go up some stairs and down in practice on the crutches.  And then they had me practice some active flexion where you slide you foot towards you on the floor and then push it back out to extension with my other foot. I guess Im not allowed to use my extensor muscles yet since that is that they repaired.  So. I had to get past 90 degrees by day 5 and I got to 100 to 110 degrees today.  It was not comfortable...but not awful either.  Yipee.    They had me do some quad sets. No surprise that my quads that have been sleeping for a year continue to sleep..but I will keep trying.  She did assisted SLR too...those were HARD....and basically..my leg didnt participate..but I tried. 

Bad news. I dont think that my peroneal nerve pain in my calf is fixed. I felt it do its traditional zinger electricity zap to my calf today. I told the PT...they dismissed it...but they dont know my history of it. I almost cried. I sucked it in...trying to be positive. HOPE and PRAY that it goes away......I really hope it does.

The hospital stay was bad with bad nursing care. Im over that now. Thank God for my husband...I will celebrate that.

Hopefully this is the beginning of many good posts of rehab.

LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 09:14:59 AM »
Hey Laura,
gawd I hate bedpans!!! they are not condusive to a pleasant moment on the loo at all!!! Thank god youre off them!! The hotel room youre in sounds great - excellent to be able to have a comfy shower etc...

PT sounds like it went well, dont worry about your leg not participating sometimes - thats gonna happen with your history - but I can be your inspiration for the fact that even after years of shut down and a muscle so badly wasted that a surgeon couldnt find it while prodding around, WE CAN REBUILD THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your peroneal nerve pain might be kicking in due to inflammation? Say it to the OS - the physios dismiss all sorts of aches and pains initially after surgery - things might yet settle down.

Thank god for your husband is right - a supportive partner really helps so much.

We will await the good rehab posts - Im so happy for you that youre on the road to recovery proper now - surgery behind you, only hard work with the physio to go - so the battle is almost won!!!
xx
Tanya

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
What hospital in GA did you have your surgery in?  I live in GA and also used to go to the Hughston clinic years ago.  I think one of your old posts said Hughston Clinic.  Which location is your doctor out of?  Where I used to go changed names and now is moved to an entirly new place in Alpharetta area.  Anyway how long are you staying in GA?  It sounds like you are doing well.  Keep motivated!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline riderdown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 07:36:19 PM »
Hey Hey!!

Good report! 100-110 already! Whoo hoo!!
Time to get yer butt home so we can all celebrate! You're on your way to being the athelete you are again girl! hang in there! Slow and painful progress is still progress!
Sorry to hear about the calf pain tho.  Happy to hear you are free from the hospital and that you got a shower too. You are so way ahead of the game!

Hugs to you and your hubby today! Remember, this is the beginning of the end!
Every person is the creation of herself, the image of her own thinking and believing.

Oct '07:complete rupture of ACL, grade 3 MCL, and damage to Meniscus, deep bone bruising of the femur and tibia. Probable Labrum/Accetabular damage in Hip

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 09:15:22 PM »
Hi everyone.  I am out and made it thru my first hotel night sleep. Not as easy as the hospital but I slept ok.  I had some sort of allergic rxn to the vicodan my face got all itchy so we had to call the doc on call. They called in Darvocet and benadryl and that took care of that problem. I dont think the darvocet works as well...but thats ok.  I started PT today in the office.  It was basic things. I was disappointed as my flexion was down to 85-90 today. I had to REALLY try to get it to 90 and they said if I cant be at 90 by tomorrow he wants to do a MUA> I DO NOT want that...so Im trying my best. Will rest and try to work on it more later.   They taught me the seated ankle exercises with the theraband, and quad sets, active flexion with passive extension and these standing straight leg rases which are a joke. With my leg in the immobilizer Im supposed to raise my leg up like I would kick a soccer ball...ha ha.....I couldnt even kick a mouse if it were sittng on the end of my shoe. I only raised my foot like 1 inch. So hard and so pathetic...I will keep trying though!   The pain was much higher at PT today and I cam straight home, laid on the couch with my leg in the air in the cryo machine.   I continue to be nervous abou the nerve pan in the outside of my leg as I can still feel it.  Wii just wait and see.

Farrah, yes, Im at the Hughston Cliinic in Columbus, GA.
Why did you stop seeing that clinic...just curios.

Ok, thanks again for everyone's support.  Ii  love checking in on everyone to see the progress along the way!

Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 02:08:30 AM »
Hi Laura, I was at that clinic a long time ago when my right knee first started bothering me.  My doctor couldn't figure out the problem after he performed arthroscopic surgery for chondromalacia.  Needless to say, it didn't work.  So he gave up on me after about 2 years of see him and trying different therapists and all kinds of stuff.  I liked that place, but there was no point in me staying there if it wasn't helping me.  I saw him for my back a few years before my knee started hurting...he didn't help me there either.  I think both of my problems were just difficult to diagnose and treat at the time.  My back still bothers me...and so does my right knee and now my left. 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

dileigh

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 02:58:37 AM »
Laura,

glad you made it out of the hospital in one piece ;D.   Just curious why he's talking about a MUA when you just got out, and a day early at that.   Good luck getting to 90 tomorrow.

Diana

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 03:26:07 AM »
hey laura, keep up the good work, you will get there. i have faith in you. looks like i might get the chance to meet you afterall. they are now making me come back down to GA for my 2 yr anniversary checkup. yuck.

keep us posted on your progress.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 03:38:25 AM »
When anyone is in the hospital you never realize how vunerable you are until you are at the mercy of help of the staff.   I remember when I was in rehab and the lady next to me had I kid you not 10 people trying to visit her at once.  Meanwhile when your the poor sucker trying to use a bedpan to pee .. because the PT left early for the day and they refused to hand over a walker.  It drives people to ask for creative items such as female urinals  .. God bless the designer of that device.  Foley cathe are not that bad of an option after you experience the wiggle of shame of sitting in a puddle ...

Sigh .. Sigh...Sigh...   MUA...  Are they going to admit you overnight for pain control ? 

Soon this will be a memory  or a post traumatic stress disorder :)

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 04:06:23 AM »
ha ha...i had that puddle of the bed pan. Disgusting. trying to hold myself up with one hand...hold the bedpan...AND keep the top edge of the cloth immobilizer out of the bed pan was so hard. No one cared....well...im sure my husband would help...but there is only so much I can ask of him ha ha...(we were only married in June..poor guy)

I dont think I have to have the MUA. They just said that they have a goal of at least 90 by day 5.  So, day 5 is tomorrow for me. I think I can get there unless something gets worse over night. I was there yesterday, today I barely got there....so I hope tomorrow is ok.

I just dont really understand what it is that is making it not move. Its not  pain....I can usually push through pain with my mind...it is just stuck...like it would explode.  Hopefully they didnt put me back together too tight.  Im sure Im over analyzing it...what else do I have to do all day. I have PT again tomorrow at 3   I will RICE it all day before I go.  I think my leg looks pretty good. It is way less swollen and WAY less bruised than my last surgery. They arent as impressed with it as I am. ha ha......

Oh...Diana....ha ha..I "got out" a day early b/c I wanted to leave.  My PT today let me know that my doctor was not happy that I left. Oh well....the hospital was so disorganized I wanted to scream. I will let him know exactly WHY i got out early when I see him. Besides...I can lay around all by myself unattended here in my hotel and I had PT this morning. I cant imagine my PT in my room would have been differnt than the PT in the PT office. :-)

Missy. I didnt get your email. Let me go look for it. My Yahoo email likes to put things in the bulk folder all the time!  Im sorry you have to drive all the way down. I know that you were excited you didnt have to go.

:-) Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 09:28:34 AM »
Hey Laura,
youre doing great!!! ROM can be such a b1tch to get and keep!!!! You just gotta keep pushing at it - you WILL get there!!

Dont worry about how hard the exercises seem right now - thats totally normal after surgery, you will find as your surgery heals it all gets easier.

So how long will you be staying there for? When you heading home? I laughed about your hubby and you only married since June and you thinking best not to get him to help with bedpan things :) If you two are going strong during all this stress then I think you have a loooong and happy marraige on your hands!!!

Keep the updates coming - its great to hear how you are coming along.
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline riderdown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »
Hey girl!

I had the rxn to vicoden too. Made me itch all over. Mostly on my torso! It sucked! then i got darvocet too, and it did nothing or me. 800mg of IBU worked better for me, and then I took a half of one vicoden with that. It didn't make me itch.

I was wondering the same thing about what was keeping the knee from bending in the beginning and my PT said it was a combo of trauma and swelling. You will get there. You are so close. Take some pain meds before PT and really get iced. I found the polar care wasn't as effective as a big bag of ice. Also, do they have you on a CPM? I think that was really helpful to gain flexion in the beginning. Not much help past day 8 for me, but was great in the beginning.

Hang in there girl! This is when the tough get going. Day five is so much better than day one! Feel better every day! Try that dry sauna trick if your PT says its ok. Worked well for me, and I am almost to my butt now!

Hugs to you
s
Every person is the creation of herself, the image of her own thinking and believing.

Oct '07:complete rupture of ACL, grade 3 MCL, and damage to Meniscus, deep bone bruising of the femur and tibia. Probable Labrum/Accetabular damage in Hip

brianne

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »
Laura,

The LR recon is kind of the opposite of the MPFL recon which is what I had.  I found that ROM was hard for the same reason as you are finding.  It wasn't really painful, it just felt like there was something stopping it.  I found that my graft would get hard as a rock.  It helped me to gently massage the graft area for a few minutes before working on ROM.  I also found it helpful to make sure that the leg had completely warmed up from any icing applied to it. 

If you are at 90, even with difficulty, at 5 days PO, I would say you are doing really well.

Brianne

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 05:18:40 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I slept ok last night. Today is day 5.  I actually slept sorta on my side with pillows btw my legs with the immobilizer on top leg.....in the mornng I work up with my bad leg hanging off the side of the bed..ha ha...thats not exactly "elevated"   Sleeping is the worst.  I did my exercises this morning. They are 1/10th easier. Pain and tight still for the bending. I REALLY struggle to get to 90...who knew something so easy could be so hard...and cause so many cuss words. ha.  

I dont have a CPM machine. I guess something about the way they attached the IT band and the patellar tendon. They dont seem to want me to be too aggressive with movemnet. Im still concerned that the scars will come back. They are not doing any patellar mobilizations at all......When do they start that?  I will ask PT today.  I know she knows that I had scar tissue b/c she mentioned it yesterday.  They said to take my leg out of the immobilizer to do the bends nad the quad sets and a shower but other than that I am in the immobilizer.  hmmmmm.....I wish I were my OWN doctor and I knew what was gong on.

I dont remember the hot sauna trick??

So, I emailed the office nurse my questions this morning about pain meds...switching to Motrin....movement...my Lovenox RX....and let them know why I left the hospital early......ugh....anyway...his nurse called me today and says the doctor wants to SEE ME TODAY after my PT.....ha ha..I feel like I have been called to the principals office. Hope Im not in trouble! :-(

This hotel room is ever so exciting.  The cleaning ladies just come in around me. they are so nice.  This morning my husband brought me breakfast.....i was sitting in bed with my leg in the ice machine and the immobilizer propped up on pillows eating breafast in bed. He left to get his own meal.  I accidently dumped an ENTIRE glass of OJ on myself........not much you can do to "jump up" when you are stuck in an ice machine, immobilizer, blankets and pillows.  When he came back to the room...I had cleaned most of it up nd there was a pile of wet clothes, blankets on the floor.....ha ha......he just thinks Im crazy! :-)

So glad to talk to everyone else while you are recovering too! :-)

Thanks Brianne for the notes about rubbing the graft. Im not sure with my puffy leg I know where to rub..I will ask them today.

Laura :-)
LR 11/2006