Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)  (Read 84324 times)

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction in Georgia!
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »
Thanks for the tips on the sauna....sounds nice. I had read somewhere else that soemeone was doing wall slides or something. I think they put both legs on the wall and leg gravity pull it down and then push it back up with the good leg...sounds similar.  ha ha...I laugh just thinkng of how I would do that now.....the leg is total dead weight. I cant wait for it get get over that.....it is annoying.

yes...mom is on her way. My mom and I get along great....but it is easier to have the husband.  I wanted to get one last shower alone before she came.  It is quite a task to get a shower...but I wanted a long undisturbed shower.   So..off I went....got in there...had all my stuff ready ..no worries...then the phone rings..the cell...the room...the cell...the room...ha ha.....I cant get out...takes me forever to move my leg....then next thing I hear...knock knock knock....ha ha....my husband tried to call me...and I didnt answer...so he sent the front desk down to check on me.  So funny. I was yellng from the shower......IM OK!!!    Anyways...not exactly that long relaxing shower I wanted.   I had no idea how much I would love my shower chair...ha ha.

Plumb...yes...I am so lucky that they are coming to help me.  It is amazing.  I have helped my mom through two knee surgeries...so she can relate.  I feel bad in hindsight b/c I didnt know it was this hard.....but...now i know I guess.....She has airmiles and is retired...so that is nice.  She will be very bored.  My husband brought work to do...so he kept himself entertained...Im not sure what mom will do all day.  She wants to "see columbus"...but...from what I can tell......there isnt much to see. :-)

Steph...my chiro is John Bandy...he is off of West Bee Caves.  He is great. We used to cycle together.....also, have seen Dr. Bob Meyers before..he was good...and AJ Zelinski at Advanced Rehab...they were great too.    Each I would say has their best areas. 

:-)
More fun stories from Georgia to come. ha ha....
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2008, 09:41:47 AM »
Laura,
I read the words 'single leg hop' and 'jump rope' and started feeling unstable - can you please put warnings on posts that contain such foreign and scary words!!!!

Hows that healing coming along? Good idea to take the antibiotics, you do not want an infection, better to nip it in the bud in case its one wanting to start.

I understand completely the dead weight phenomna!! Its just that the brain has shut down the muscles because of pain and trauma, once the body heals up from the surgical work they will wake up again. Its not a nice feeling though.

Hey do you get to do anything nice in your hotel room - watch a favourite movie or write a journal or anything (well i guess this is your online journal!!), i hope youre trying to do as many nice things for yourself that you can in the circumstances.

Am still sending the good vibes over to you, my life is plodding along as normal, still fighting the instability - but i have had a mild improvement in that i no longer feel unstable if i stroll, only if i try to move faster than a stroll, but thats progress eh???
have my next PT session on monday where they strap me in the isokinetic testing machine (thats torture chair to you and me) to see how my quad strength is coming along. so all prayers directed at my right quads on monday afternoon 2pm GMT :)

You know the way the buddhists say you re-incarnate - well i want to be something fast like a racehorse or a a big cat like a puma or jaguar - something with lots of muscle bulk that moves easily and quick - not too much to ask is it? knowing my luck ill come back as a frog or something - croak croak....
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2008, 09:49:20 AM »
Hi Laura,

I understand what you are currently going through. Sometimes PT is so painful and really wonder what the PT is trying to achieve. I remember what it was like after my last operation.

In the last couple of days I have been in a lot of pain. My sports physician has told me to take my anti inflammatories for a solid week, Panadeine 15 and also ice a couple of times a day. I am counting down the days till I see my OS. It's only 5 days now and can't wait till I know.

My friend saw my OS this week and he reckons that my kneecap dislocates just looking at it. So, he reckons my kneecap is very unstable. At least he recognises I have a real problem.

Keep up the good work and have a nice weekend. It will be nice spending some time with your Mum.  8)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »
Hi guys.   Well....today I went to PT.   I have my mom here now instead of the husband. I love my mom..but he was way better at this. Ha. She snorred last night...kept me up...and wanted to talk way too much. I was agitated and couldnt sleep.....she means well for sure.  I tried to encourage her to stay in the waiting room for my PT today but she wanted to come on back...so she did...she hovered over me..I was so grumpy. She has no clue that it was bothering me...she just wants me well...but I was hot...I was nauseated from the one pain pill I took today.....and when the PT said I needed to stand up and take the brace off to try my exercise...I bust into tears.  Yep. First official crying in PT.  Who knows when the ugly crying face will show up.  I got it under control fast but man.....sooo emotional...and so not like me.  I say damn darvocet b/c Im sure that is the cause.   So...anyways. Struggled with pain to 90 today again.  Harder than yesterday.  All else is about the same. She showed me how to use my old EMPI quad stimulator for a TENS unit on my back for pain instead....will try that later today.

Back to the hotel and back on the bed with my friend Mr Ice.  I know you can all relate.  One more day...one more day....one more day. Can't believe it is a week and I still feel like crap. big sigh.  I better make huge improvements this week or going to work on the 25th is going to be really hard. (Im an OB nurse).   

Thats too bad you are still feeling so unstable in the kneecap.  I wouldnt be surprised if you need a surgery like I had. I know you are hypermobile though so that must be tricky.  They used part of my IT band and part of my patellar tendon to stabelize the patella  AND did a VMO advancement to help it as well.  Time will tell. Im glad you get to see your doctor next week.

Tanya...ha..sorry for the words hop and jump.  At least I didnt say squat or lunge?  ha  Thanks for the good vibes and Im glad that you are feeling stable at a stroll...that is great news actually!  Hmmm...when I come back I would have liked to be my dog....or a cat..they both seem to have it equally good in life. 

Hope everyone is feeling better today than yesterday!
Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2008, 01:37:47 AM »
Good news.  My right TKR knee is doing fine a year later.   Bad news my joint space in lefty is to narrow to even scope.  The OS said that if I had to have chicken juice injectiions every three months he would fight the insurance company to allow it to keep my natural knee as long as  I can.   I am only in my mid thirty's   So more lidocaine patches. more mobic and more loracet.

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2008, 02:29:18 AM »
well, thats good news on the good leg.  Hope you get the chicken juice....my mother in law had those injections and thought they helped her a lot.    wow.....mid 30s and TKR already......you are tough!
LR 11/2006

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2008, 02:39:03 AM »
Ok....so....today..I had a melt down. I came home and decided to try to switch to Ibuprofen instead of narcotics. I tookd 800 this afternoon and 800 again tonight.  Im doing ok. I still hurt a little bit..but not terrible.    I used the TENS machine on my back...it was good too.   So....tonight after my shower I was able to take tiny steps forward with my leg out of the brace. Im not really allowed to be out of it....so they were tiny tiny steps on crutches just to get to the bed to dry off and put it back on.....but...until today I have been leaving the shower....GOING BACKWARDS on the crutches and dragging the bad leg behind me.   Yeah. They were tiny steps...but..the leg lifted up..moved forward about 3 inches....etc.  Less of a flamingo leg....the leg is letting me put it down some.  My PT has me taking my brace off....stand against the wall with my leg down...locked in extension as much as I can...and trying to tighten the quad. Now..it isnt moving...but...I guess it helped some.  so. thats my good news.  Not sure if I can get through the night without a painkiller...but Im going to try.

:-)
thanks for all the good vibes. They must be working.
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2008, 04:07:48 AM »
Hey Laura, by now I have some percocet, ultram ER, darvocet, and tomorrow hydrocodone if you need any in the morning!!!  I also have a muscle relaxer and a couple of antiinflammatories....oh and a lunesta waiting to be preauthorized.  Let me know!!  Haha!!  I can't believe how many meds I have in my medicine cabinet!!! 

Hopefully you will get some sleep tonight!  I will not be taking anymore darvocet until I can't handle it tomorrow.  I don't know if I am feeling good b/c of not doing PT since Monday or b/c of the pain meds.  Like I said in my diary, the sharp pain has gone from an 8/9 to about a 4/5!  That isn't constant pain, that is "moving wrong" pain...or "knee giving out" pain.  The constant pain is hardly there at all.  I have a feeling my muscles will be sore tomorrow b/c I tried walking a lot today.  If it wasn't for darvocet, I couldn't do it.  Anyway, have a great night!!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »
Hi Laura,

It sounds like you are making good progress. That's great.

My friend who is also seeing my OS suggested I try one of her braces as she has a winter and summer weight. It feels so much better than my current brace and feel so much more stable in it. I'm going to ask my OS to arrange one for me. It makes such a difference.

Still in a bit of pain, but better than it was.

Only 4 days till I see my OS now.

Keep up the good work with your rehab !!  :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »
Farrah..I replied to you in your diary about your pain, pain meds, and PT. :-)  Keep up the good walking! :-)

Kirsty.....that is great that you get another brace.  My only one I have is just this cloth one..it is a solid piece of fabric all the way up like a felt and or cotton blend or something. When it heats up in Texas..it is going to be miserable.  Im not sure if he will ever give me on of thsee that breaths more or has hinges or whatnot.....anyway..I have been sitting on my bed with it off some more and it feels so much better out of there. No one told me to be in it 24/7 so I put it on when I get up and when I sleep...... I hope Im allowed to have it off seated with my leg out on the bed.   

I made it through the night on the Advil alone.  I read on the advil drug facts that I can take 800mg 4 times a day if I need to.  That is what I did for the first day.  If I keep getting better I might try to decrease it some so my stomach doesnt start to hurt.  My brain feels a little clearer although there is clearly more discomfort.  Im sure I will need other pain meds for PT and for the flight home....but for sititng around Im gong to try this.

Farrah..I have a drug bank too. It is funny. I have Percocet, Vicodan, Darvocet, Aleve, Advil, Ultram ER....for the itching...Benadryl...Vistaril...then Ducolox and Fiber Con....my antibiotic.....calcium, folic acid and who knows what else is doing in that baggie on the floor.   I really dont like to take medicine. I feel like it is all really hard on your liver and kidneys....so...I cant wait to get off all this stuff....

:-) Thats all for now.  Have to do my PT at home on my own today.....too bad I dont have one of those angle things to measure my bending with.

Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »
Hey Laura, you have more meds than I have :)  I am sticking with darvocet during the day (if needed) and hydrocodone at night (if needed).  I am taking the day off from everything today.  Sitting on my butt on the couch...I may go to the dog park on 1 crutch later.  Have a great weekend!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »
Ha....I know..that is the funny thing. I have so many meds and Im taking advil. I might need a real pain med for sleep tonight...but Im doing ok on the advil and ice during the day. It hurts...but it is tolerable.   I have old medicine from other surgeries. Ididnt know how much pain med I would need so I brought the other stuff with me.  If the airport searches my suitcase they will think Im a drug rep. ha.

Im doing nothing too. Mom tried to get me to go to the fabric shop with her but I declined.  I only have this one more week to get as much healing done before I go back to work....so Im fighting the swelling and bruising as much as I can. 

Today I have more of a circle bruise around my anke. My mom thought my socks were bleediing onto my skin..haha..she was tryng to rub the color off with alcohol...haha...I told her it is a bruise...but b/c it is in a circle she is sure it is stained. ha ha......my skin has streaks of yellow down it today for the first time and there is a 1/2 dollar size dark black bruise behind my knee I found today. I dont know why all the sudden a week later this stuff is showing up.  I have a pain behind my knee today....it hurts like a pulled ligament.  My leg is not warm or swollen so Im not thinking blood clot....mabye it is hurting from those standing exercises she has me doing?  who knows.

:-) thats all the excitment here.  Hope everyone is doing well!
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2008, 06:24:50 PM »
I had the circle bruises behind my knee after surgery too.  I guess that is normal.  The yellow marks are usually meaning that the bruising is going away...right?   That is what I get from it.  I had the yellow stuff one day, then no bruising a few days later. 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2008, 10:14:29 PM »
I had that after my first surgery.  My OS gave me an RX for TED Thigh high stockings.  To prevent DVT.

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »
Hmmm.....Well...I have these stockings that go from my ankle to my thigh...but it is called turbihose or something like that. It is lightly compressive...but not a ton....and I am on Lovenox....so hopefully no dvt. I know to watch for changes in calf size, warmth at the site and poor circulation below......oh...and I remember I used to have a tiny varicosity behind my knee that would ache when I was on my feet too much...maybe that is what is going on. I have been pumping my feet all day long....hope to keep the blood moving.  Thats the last thing I need is a dvt. yikes.
LR 11/2006

support