Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)  (Read 83053 times)

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction in Georgia!
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »
Ha Ha.  Just thinking back how long it took my leg to do the get off the bed trick. Ofcourse totally different operation but I can relate.   I think in my case it was a good three weeks .   My quad was totally cut.   I had the circle with metal wire thing to help move the leg up and down and I would like to think that it helped me when I was bored and did leg lifts.    Your one comment about .. ice ice ice ice ice ice..  brought a smile to my face..  You will never know how crazy it makes people not being able to get ice fast enough until you are recovered and than the start telling you stories on how you begged for ice and drove them crazy..   I still defend the begging for ice at strange times .. since when you are "SOL" and in that much pain...  Freezing your leg is better than wanting them to saw it off.   :)   

I hope your home soon.  Wonder how you will do on the air plane home.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »
Darvocet kicks my butt too. It also makes me have horrible dreams.

Farrah, sounds like we have something else in common. I have arthritis in my spine and suffer from chronic back pain. it usually hurts more than my knees do .  I have been with the Hughston clinic since 2002 and plan to stay with them for good.  I had my first ortho surgery here in my hometown but the surgeon did not do a good job so I found myself a good one.

laura, i hope taht you get to go home early for your sake but if you dont, maybe we will run into one another in pt.  
I have not had kimberly so i dont know her at all but one would hope that if she is working there that she is good at her job.
your VMO may be just starting to hurt because you are just now starting to move it. the patella mobs may also be the culprit for some of the pain, doc warned you that they would hurt .

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »
Missy, I don't think my back stuff is arthritis, but at this point maybe it is!  It's been about 10 years since my back first started hurting. Every year it gets worse and worse.  My Ultram ER doses go up 50 mg every year too.  Along with Ultram ER I always took indocin (anti-inflammatory).  I have been off the indocin since my surgery though.  I am starting to get so confused with what medications I am taking!!  J/K!  In the last month and a half I have taken, Percocet, Ultram ER, tylenol, indocin, darvocet, and soon to be lunesta.  I never thought I would get to that point in my life!!  I am now just taking darvocet and possibly lunesta until I can get a good night's sleep. 

During all of this knee stuff, I have such a busy busy lifestyle as an architect and gymnastics coach.  We are in the middle of meet season so not only do I coach 3 nights a week, but we have meets about 2-3 times per month.  Those last either 5-10 hrs.  It depends on the meet schedule.  I have two teams.  Sometimes they compete in the same session and sometimes they are split.  When in the same, it is only 5 hrs.  This Friday it is one session!  Thank god!!!  Taking this darvocet may make my days very long!!  I don't think I should be driving, but I don't have a choice if I don't want to be in excruciating pain throughout the day. I still have to live my life.  Have a good one!!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »
Wow...you are coaching and working in all your pain.  I go back to work on 1/25.  I know i have 6 patients in the morning and maybe 4 in the afternoon. They are all twins, triplet moms so they can relate to feeling miserable. And, they walk slow...so that is good...it is just the commute to work that will be really hard...have no idea how Im going to do that yet....and the getting patients up and down the hall all day....its going to require lots of help.  We legally can not be medicated at work....I think I can take the ULtram..but I cant take Darvocet and do patient care.....so, I will just have to get onto something else before then.  crossing my fingers.

The plane ride home is going to be terrible. I will just take meds and hope for no delays.  I have first class seat, the first seat on the plane going home...so that give me room to stretch my leg out...but just the fact my leg is straight nad my back kills me is enough to send me over the edge.  It wont kill me....but it might test my mental strength.  That is a week away so Im not going to worry just yet.

Pt this morning was not great.  I had a tough painful 90 degrees again. It is a 90 degrees by a stretch too and with great pain..but at least I got it.  I did my normal exercises but today she wanted me to try to do my standing straight leg raises without my brace on. I think that was a terribly silly thing to consider since I am barely doing them with my brace on.....but, she insisted. So....with great pain..and frustration...and almost tears I stood there and tried to tighten my painful quad to lift my leg off the ground. NO WAY...it wasnt moving...not a centimeter......eventually we put it back on and did them the painful regular way. I think that was a really dumb decision and honestly I cant imagine what she was thinking...but oh well....so, Im back at the hotel...back on the ice....waiting for the darvocet to take my PT pain away.

:-) thats all!
Laura
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 01:46:40 AM »
Laura,

Sorry PT was so hard...I can relate to that!!  Sometimes I wonder what my PT is thinking too!  I can't believe she made you do something that you obviously were struggling with the "easy" way.  I never had to do that exercise.  I couldn't have done it either.  I can do it now perfectly.  I just can't bend my knee from having it straight out.  I have to have it either completely straight or completely bent.  In other words no extensions! Hopefully you won't need any meds once you get home.  I was taking just the Ultram ER for weeks.  If it wasn't for my back pain, I probably could have done without it sometimes....until the last few weeks.  Good luck Laura!!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 01:59:40 AM »
Ok. I had a post op emotional melt down tonight. It only lasted about 10 minutes..but how pathetic. My husband was taking a nap...and I was trying to do my knee bend exercise by myself in the other room.....my pain med was already running low..but I didnt think about that...anyway....I just started bawling over my knee...he came in and Im sitting there with an ice bag and my leg unwrapped crying.  :(  Wonder how long it takes to get over the second guessng of the FIRST surgery I have in 11/06. I still regret that decision.....oh well. So..I took one pain med...waited a while..iced my knee more and was able to bend it some.     

My husband goes home tomorrow and my mom flys in....we had romantic (ha) valentines dinner on the hotel floor watching a movie...ha ha....fun!

Farrah...when we picked up the ultram is has all these warnings on it about not stopping it abruptly...etc.....did you notice any sort of emotional issues from it...it seems that they have concerns over it causing depression??  I dont need anything making me sad thats for sure.  This RX was only a trial RX of 14 tablets...so thats not many.....Will see if I like It I guess.  These were free...but I see they would have cost 45 dollars for 14 of them. WOW.

I think taking just one darvocet is helping in the day better....some pain relief...but not knocked out.

Ok. That all.  Tomorrow is a new day.  I hope this night is better than last night.

:-)
Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2008, 02:32:42 AM »
Laura, it is a medication that your body gets addicted to.  If I ever forget a dose, besides the horrible back pain, I get cold sweats and feel horrible!!  I get so so sweaty while I am so so cold!  It is the most uncomfortable thing to experience.  I guess that is the reason that it says not to stop abruptly.  I imagine that is why it is more of a long term medication.  Hopefully you will not need it long term.  I hope it works for you.  Sorry you had some pain issues...I haven't had a meltdown since last Wednesday.  Of course I cried at work yesterday b/c of pain and then pretty much all the way home from work last night.  Then again after I got off the phone with the PA!  Oh and before that I cried after getting off the phone with the receptionist yesterday morning...when I was frustrated nobody had called me back while I was in so much pain!!!  It did sound romantic with a dinner and a movie on the floor of a hotel room!  It is better than what we are doing!!  I have to coach tomorrow night followed by coming home late with probably a lot of knee pain.  Then Friday I have a gymnastics meet.  Anyway, happy healing!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2008, 02:52:07 AM »
Ok...you have me beat on the crying...and probably on the pain.

When i get back to work on the 25th..Im sure I will cry im my whole commute home.

I might not start this new med if it is going to make me feel that way.  The last thing I need is one more thing making me feel like crap.
:-(
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2008, 02:58:04 AM »
Maybe you should express your concerns about the Ultram ER to your OS.  Ask if he/she was intending for you to use it long term or something.  I would definately ask. 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2008, 03:06:05 AM »
ok...he only gave me a rx for 14 of them. He didnt tell me anything about having to take it every day or anything....hmmmm......will ask him for sure.  Thanks!!  I have been doing pretty good today with one darvocet....just not skipping any. Im going to make sure to take one in the night so I dont wake up in so much pain tomorrow.  THe problems with all these narcotics and inacticity is the slowing of the bowels.  yikes!
LR 11/2006

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 09:02:05 AM »
guys I havent even had a recent surgery and I meltdown and cry my eyes out over my knee fairly regularly!!! Its normal - if we didnt cry we'd turn into limping axe murderers or something :)

As for PT, I always feel my PT is pushing me too hard and trying to get me to do stuff that Im just not ready for. I think they all do that. Its a way of preparing the body and brain for when you CAN do it. Last time I went she made me hop - HOP!!! I mean like, are you kidding? Hopping is NOT something I can do without a lot of pain, worry and perhaps a bit of buckling. So I hopped (very very gammily!!!) and then she said she wanted me to get up to half an hour on the treadmill, so it was a half hour of torture feeling like I was gonna dislocate on each step. But in fairness its improved since so perhaps she pushed me to get me there? I dunno - but try not to worry, they all do it.

Laura - happy healing!!! Am thinking of you.
xx
Tanya

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 05:31:18 PM »
Well it frustrates me when you are already in tears with the current exercise and you aren't suppose to do stuff that hurts, but then the PT makes you try something harder!  I don't get it!!   I yelled at my PT last wednesday when he did that to me.  Then I told him on Monday that I didn't want to do anything!  So he took it easy on me.  It still killed though...then my doc told me to stop for the week until I see him this afternoon at 3pm!! I'm soooooo nervous!  I am sitting at work trying to work! I just don't know what to expect today. 

Laura, I hope you are feeling okay!!  Happy valentines day!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2008, 07:34:59 PM »
Thanks all.  Today started better than yesterday. I wasnt yelling ice machine. ha ha.  I had early PT and did ok on my exercises. I got to 95 on flexion. It hurt..but not as bad as yesterday.  The PT didnt make me try the standing SLR without the brace...duh...I can BARELY do them with the brace. I would have just said no today. :-)  A differnet PT worked on my back...but honestly..I just need to get back to my chiropractor..he knows my back....dear God I cant wait to get my back in place.  The OS came over and looked at my knee. I have a spot on it above where they took out the fat pad scar tissue...it is really hot..and slightly red. He ordered 5 days of antibiotics just in case.  My swelling is still about the same..no worse.no better...so thats ok.  I developed this bruised circle around my ankle yesterday that was funny..but oh well.

My husband just packed and left. Im really not that sad about it b/c I will see him in a week...and Im pretty independent....but.. I cried like a baby.  So funny b/c Im not usually like this. He understands....I tried to hold it in but couldnt. funny.  I think it is these darn narcotics.....  He is changing the rental car with my mom who is flying in from Dallas.....she will stay with me on "laura watch" until we get to go home. I really really hope to go home mid week next week if all is ok.

My sutures, although tons of them(23)....and spread out over about 10 inches...they look like they are healing up really well. No oozing or anything. Barely pink at all so I hope this scar isnt terrible.

The PT moved my patella around only slightly today. She says it is mobile..but I guess I dont get to move it that much b.c of the VMO advancement and the ITband/ Patellar tendon grafts. I have three things that are newly grafted to my patella........gzzz...no wonder the patella area is red and hot. Poor little guy.

Ok. thats all for this segment. 
Hope everyone is doing well!  Thanks for all the support.   Cheers to all the other crying in pain knee people.   Farrah..I really hope your appointment goes well. I know it is in an hour...good luck!

oh, Tanya...yes...I got my future protocol for my knee today...so I can take it home to my PT at home....I saw the words "single leg hop" on there...and jump rope.....my husband started laughing...he said I didnt do that before surgery??? ha ha ha
LR 11/2006

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »
Just came back from shopping and a new hair cut.  ( stacked bob)  My left knee is barking.  Tomorrow off to see the OS for cortizone shot and xrays.  I hope my righty knee the one that is totally bling is ok.  I expect a good report card but there is always that what if.   I am prepared for him to tell me once again I should get my left knee scoped.  Frankly I am still not ready for another procedure.  I feel as if I am on borrowed time with this knee as it is. Maybe this newest round of xrays will provide some path.

It is really nice to see your family make this great effort to travel about the country to be with you during your recovery and rehab.   One day you willl have to post the gorey photos .

I hope you mom is prepared for your ice fetish.

Offline riderdown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »
Oh man! Sorry you had one of those days yesterday, and then to have hubby leave on Vday too! WAMMO! HUGS to you today!!
I can totally understand too, as I was a quivering puddle more than once, and I still cry much easier than I ever had in my whole life! What the heck?! LOL... I have never been a crier, but boy I am one now... geeze. I feel for ya girl! Hang in there.

I hear ya about the chiro too. I use Dr Wood on william cannon, and he is great. Who is your chiro?
Strange bruising is odd huh? I had bruising all the way down my shin. There is just no where for the blood to go but down. I sure hope you don't have an infection, but at least they've got you on antibiotics and it will take care of it if you have one.

Ok, the DRY sauna thing. Check with your PT/OS of course, but the dry heat was good for me and really helped. I would lie down and bring my knees up to my chest (no worries~my leg would stick up and out on the operated side) And just kinda hold the calf of the bad leg and let it bend until it hurt. I would support it and just lay there letting gravity do the work to bring the heels down. I got a whole lot more bend in the dry sauna than when just at home. I would use my good leg to help me straighten it up above my head, and then slowly bring it down and hold it until after about a week I didn't need to hold it anymore.  I can almost touch my butt now. It took about a month to get it all this way, but it was super easy, and I didn't have much pain and I didn't have to "try" to push it there. Worked well for me.
Hope you can do this kind of thing, as it was so easy. NOt sure with the surgery you just had if it would be ok.

Man! Sounds like one heck of a scar! Take a pic and show it off!

Order some room service and something sweet for Valentine's day and rest up. I know if my mom were coming I would need all the rest I could get!

Hugs and good vibes.
Steph

Every person is the creation of herself, the image of her own thinking and believing.

Oct '07:complete rupture of ACL, grade 3 MCL, and damage to Meniscus, deep bone bruising of the femur and tibia. Probable Labrum/Accetabular damage in Hip

support