Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)  (Read 88406 times)

Offline WorkinWings

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Fixed my failed lateral release: back to flying!
    • Failed lateral release: medial subluxation of the patella
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)
« Reply #405 on: June 10, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »
Hi Laura!

Being the bottom-most post of pg2 of "Post-op diary" is unacceptable!

BUMP!!

So HOW ARE YOU??

Thanks sooooo much for your note on my "diary"  -- it was a real honor!   ;D

I'm (finally!) replying to it over there:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=41314.0

Please come say hello to us, here?

Hugs,

Angela  8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 10:14:50 PM by ClippedWings »
Feb'00: Twisting injury (w/"pop")
dx - bone bruise of lateral tibial plateau
Apr'00 to May'07: intermittent pain; NO instability
7/May/07: Lateral Release (which created instability)
17/Jan/08: dx - iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation s/p LR
16/Jan/09: Back to function!
[email protected]

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
  • suffering with my knee for 8 years. i'm only 20!!!
    • RoboLove Clothing
« Reply #406 on: June 15, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS LAURA,

I know we had talked before about how much you wanted a baba. I'm so pleased for you.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your knee. Is it still better than it was pre op? I think that as long as there is some improvement it is worth it.

xxx
1995 - first trip to the doctor with 'growing pains'
1998 - xrays show left patella is out of place
1999 - first dislocation
1999-2006 - Physio therapy every week
Jan2007 - Traumatic dislocation
feb 2007 - OS suggests surgery
Jan 2008 - date for surgery 30th jan

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #407 on: June 25, 2008, 01:55:48 AM »
Hello everyone!  I know I have become a ghost..a non poster......sigh. I DO log on and check up on peoples progress along the way but never can keep up.  I am almost 9 wks preg...and exahusted!!  I sleep in way too late....am so tired at work....doze through my lunch...work the afternoon..come home and crawl on the couch!  who knew it could be so exhausting to have something the size of a lima bean grow in you????   Anyway....seems to be getting slightly better.  Saw the heartbeat on sono...thats a good thing....get through 4 more weeks and the scary 1st trimester is done!

Anyway...back to the real issue...my knee. Of course my crappy crappy United healthcare... is crappy.  They will pay for MRIs, CT scans, 2 surgeries...but decide not to pay for my PT.  My doctor wrote a letter. my PT wrote a letter....etc.....and they say Im all better and stopped covering me. So...Im paying PT twiice a week out of pocket.....so expensive!  Funny thing....today I asked the office manager to pull out my file.  The insurance company makes you rate your progress every few weeks on a number scale...things like can you run, can you turn over, can you go up stairs, put on shoes...etc.....so.....we looked at my "score" and found today that my current "score" is 4 points LESS than I was PRE op!!!   So...gzzz....seems good to kick me out of PT when Im not even to my pre op level...which was crappy...which was WHY I had surgery?????   so frustrating!!

Anyway...the knee is getting better on its own very very slow timeline.  They increase things I do at PT all the time..but baby steps..and Im constantly amazed at how weak my leg still is.  There is NOOO way I could squat down and get back up without holding onto something...and no way I could run even a few steps......I still walk with a slight limp......my walking pain is zero.   my total gym squat pain is very little...my extension pain is small.....and the topical pain from where the surgery was done is still an odd tingly, numb, uncomfortable pain.   I wish I was stronger....but.....oh well...time will tell.......

So....thats the scoop.  I know everyone continues to plug along and I do follow all of your progresses.  I find I have more time to read them all and catch up then to post on everyones sites....so...just so you know....Im still watching all of my KG buddies progress and hoping for relief for all of you.  I hope one day to be a role model like some of the stars on here....but....Im not one of them yet!!

Take care everyone!!  When i get a good "baby" picture I will try to figure out how to post it on here!

Laura  ;D
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #408 on: June 25, 2008, 09:23:48 AM »
Hi laura,
PT can be agonisingly slow but it will be worth it in the end.
Can you go less and do more at home? Or do you get more out of going in? Im going once a week right now, but after next Monday Im down to every second week, then maybe every third week? We'll see. Im just plugging away with the home exercises. Its hard work :(
Im paying for my PT too - I could have taken free PT in the local hospital but I like my physiotherapist and am happy to pay her cos she is good.

Definitely show a baby pic!!! You sound in good form - even though youre tired. Everyone says the first 3 months are the most tiring. Do you have any restrictions on exercises due to pregnancy? Probably not yet.

Im doing ok, would like to have all this knee stuff behind me - long way to go I guess.....
xx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #409 on: June 25, 2008, 10:43:15 AM »
Hi Laura,  great to see you back here again.  So sorry to hear you're not getting paid for PT.  Healthcare is so maddening.  It's really nice to know your pain levels aren't bad.  The strength will come with time.  Keep taking those baby steps.  Meanwhile we'll be looking forward to pics of the new baby. 

07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #410 on: June 25, 2008, 11:14:59 AM »
Hey Laura, it will get better.  You sound very positive though!  Sorry you have to pay your PT out of pocket. I couldn't imagine having to do that.  I hope your pain is minimal!!!  Have a good one, Laura!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #411 on: June 25, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »
Hi Laura,

Great you are still making progress. Know how frustrating it can be though. What a pain you have to pay for your own PT. Do you really need to go twice a week ?

I don't think I'll be able to have a lot of physio until we have some more direction from my OS after the car accident I had last week. Posted an update on my diary.

Very exciting about having a baby, but I've heard it can be very draining and tiring too. Do take care.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #412 on: June 25, 2008, 10:47:10 PM »
Hi Laura,

Good to hear from you.

Thats awful news about them not paying for PT, its a shame you can't go down to their head office and show them your knee, I think these insurance people can sometimes lose sight of reality and people just become numbers! I'm cross for you so can understand how you must be feeling.

I'm glad its improving a bit though, keep going your doing really well.

Be great to see a baby piccy when you get one!  ;D

I had my long awaited appointment today, I put all the details on my thread, sorry its a bit of an essay.

Take care

Trace x
23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline WorkinWings

• Forum Faithful
  • Fixed my failed lateral release: back to flying!
    • Failed lateral release: medial subluxation of the patella
« Reply #413 on: July 18, 2008, 06:03:14 AM »
Middle of page four!  Pfff!

BUMP!

Hello Laura!  Sorry: it's late, so I'm just copying something I wrote in my thread that was addressed to you today (well, yesterday, July 17--cause that was before midnight...):

Where are you?!  I do believe today might mark that all important date for your pregnancy...  Isn't it the start of your second trimester, by now?   ;D ;D ;D  Hope you can honor us with a visit and good news soon!  Thinking of you always, and always wishing you are well, and in pregnancy-peace! ;)

Angela
Feb'00: Twisting injury (w/"pop")
dx - bone bruise of lateral tibial plateau
Apr'00 to May'07: intermittent pain; NO instability
7/May/07: Lateral Release (which created instability)
17/Jan/08: dx - iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation s/p LR
16/Jan/09: Back to function!
[email protected]

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #414 on: July 18, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »
Laura,

How are you doing ?

I hope the knee and pregnancy are going well. Would like to have a baby one day but am really scared about the impact of my loose ligaments on my body.

Love to hear all your news.  8)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »
Hi everyone!    Thanks for the notes!  Yes....I am about 13 and a half weeks along. Expecting a boy baby we found out after our genetic testing (because im old)....anyway...everything seems to be going along fine. I have been exhausted for the last few weeks/months but finally feel like I am crawling out of that.  Have gained too much weight already...yuck!.....Just got home from a week long cruise to the caribbean with my husbands family (17 people) where we told them we were pregnant......it was fun.  I did pretty well going up and down stairs and walking a lot and swimming.  I had a hard time wtih the fins when snorkeling b/c they require more strength than my knee has...but it felt pretty good.....it was definately sore on the way home yesterday.   I finally told my PT that I was pregnant and she says its ok as long as we modify the cardio stuff and watch the weight on my knee........anyway....the knee is ok.....it is still weak...it gives out when I do too much..I guess it gets tired.....still binds up and clicks some but that may be some new scar tissue in there.......I will be 6 months post op on Aug 6th.....I guess I thought I would be all better by now.....still fighting regret...etc...over the whole first knee surgery. I still cant squat and may never be able to kneel again....not even in the very soft sand it is so painful.....hope that in time my body will forget to hurt there!

Hope everyone is well. I am just catching up on this months posts from everyone to see how you all are doing. Hope everyone is moving along somewhat even if it is as slow as me.....snail pace......

:-)
Laura

oh....and...I did wear a pair of heels on two different nights on the cruise. Thats like a crazy thing. i had the death grip on my husband in case the knee gave out....but, was able to do it slowly! :-)
LR 11/2006

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #416 on: July 29, 2008, 02:58:34 AM »
Hi Laura, nice to hear from you again!  Congratulations on your baby boy!!!  That's wonderful news.  Congrats on wearing heals as well!  I am not foreseeing that in my future for a long time.  Well we have missed you around here.  I can't believe how far you have come already!  I am sure it's difficult to not worry about any surgery being a failure since your first one, but you will realize once you get stronger and continue PT a while longer that it will get better for you this time.  I hope it does anyway!  Well you are a very strong woman to go through knee recovery and a pregnancy at the same time.  You were definitely determined back in February to do that though.  I will not forget how you tried not taking any prescription meds just in case you get pregnant!!  Now that's determination :)  I hope the pregnancy isn't too hard on you.  Good luck and hope to hear from you again soon. 

Small update on me:  I am having a Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block tomorrow...if it is successful, then I have RSD/CRPS (Complex regional pain syndrome).  If it doesn't help it could be something else.  Meanwhile, my OS saw something in the bone scan that is of some concern and I have an MRI on Wednesday.  BTW, I have my OS's e-mail,his assistant's e-mail, and his PA's e-mail (the one I don't know very well).  I can just call his assistant anytime during the office hours and she will get to my OS with my question and about 95% of the time, I get a call back in the same day.  So my OS is concerned now since my pain has been so bad.  Well good luck with your pregnancy!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #417 on: July 29, 2008, 09:25:01 AM »
Hi Laura,
great to hear you are doing so well!!!!
heels!!!!! phewy!!!! well done!!!

so pleased to hear all is good with your pregnancy - congrats on it being a boy!!!
you sound like you are having a good life, im thrilled for you.

my knee is WAAAAY better since my scope, now Im just trying to rehab it after 3 years of not being able to walk properly on it. Progress is slow but steady.
xx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #418 on: July 29, 2008, 11:45:34 AM »
Hi Laura,

Really pleased to hear your pregnancy is still going well.

I was glad to hear you've just been on a holiday and even wore heels. I hope to one day !! I am hoping to go away in October for 2 weeks.

You are obviously continuing to make progress, which is good. I am making progress at a snail pace as the operation I had was bony vs soft tissue. So, takes so much longer to heal. Will be interested to see what my OS says in a couple of weeks.

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #419 on: July 29, 2008, 05:45:07 PM »
Thanks everyone.   Dont get me wrong...Im still at a snail pace too.  The heels....ha ha...well, on cruise ships they have those "formal night" dinner things...so I had to wear a dress..and my flats were ugly..so I wore these small heels with straps in the back and had a death grip on my husband. I fussed at him everytime he walked off without me and just stood there until he came back....once false move and my knee will give out and I would be on the floor! haha.....so we got to the dinner table and of course I needed to pee....I said...great...now I have to go to the bathroom.......he gave me the look like you are kidding...so I just waited...haha.....

I have a slow progress too....finally the PT bumped up the exercises at the PT visit to stuff that was actually hard.  They always make me stop exercises when they hurt....so...I hve developed a sense of not always telling when it hurts mildly b/c I will never get better if I cant  get some muscles back......they say they have to modify my routine b/c Im pregnant....so that sucks.....but...I will just try to do what I can as long as they let me.  Still paying out of pocket about 130 dollars per WEEK...that is killing me....not sure how much longer I want to put up with that fee....maybe until I get about 5 months along and exercise is more uncomfortable...will just have to see how it goes.....

anyway....I hope that I keep cruising along and that this knee holds out for the weight that Im going to carry.......maybe it will make it stronger...like lifting weights every day! ha ha ha....

Thanks for the nice notes!
Take care!!!

Laura
LR 11/2006