Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)  (Read 88412 times)

Offline WorkinWings

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Fixed my failed lateral release: back to flying!
    • Failed lateral release: medial subluxation of the patella
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair / MIA 4/12
« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2008, 01:54:02 AM »
Hi Laura,

It's been more than a month since you last posted. 

I really hope you are OK.

A.
Feb'00: Twisting injury (w/"pop")
dx - bone bruise of lateral tibial plateau
Apr'00 to May'07: intermittent pain; NO instability
7/May/07: Lateral Release (which created instability)
17/Jan/08: dx - iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation s/p LR
16/Jan/09: Back to function!
[email protected]

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)
« Reply #391 on: May 16, 2008, 09:26:22 AM »
Has anyone got an email address for Laura?
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »
We miss you ! Why have you gone MIA ?
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline riderdown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #393 on: May 20, 2008, 07:40:46 PM »
Hey Laura!

Hope all is well and you are doing ok.

I'm with ya on the labral tear. Brotz says there is noone here in Texas that I should let work on it. Who are you seeing for this? SUCKS!!! I am having problems with my exercises getting that all flared up too, but still making slow progress. Hope you are too! Check in!! :P
Every person is the creation of herself, the image of her own thinking and believing.

Oct '07:complete rupture of ACL, grade 3 MCL, and damage to Meniscus, deep bone bruising of the femur and tibia. Probable Labrum/Accetabular damage in Hip

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #394 on: May 21, 2008, 01:43:37 AM »
Hey Guys. I dont know where to start. Yes...I took a break from KG.  Sorry for those of you that are still scared and suffering every day.  I went to the doctor in Georgia and got a really really brief visit with the doctor in which he basically said keep at it and sort of negated all my concerns.  I still have the subluxing feeling every single night....it is annoying...and I hope it goes away with strength....if not...another surgery....another year...no time soon...no thanks.  The odd bump on my knee is still there......no one knows what it is...who knows.....   My strength is slowly improving at PT  and Im walking with only a tiny limp without my support stocking.  My insurance is still giving me a really hard time with coverng my therapy. I took two weeks off PT for a mental break......funny b/c I came back stronger than when I left....I only have one more week of coverage and then will have to start paying out of pocket...that is going to be pricey.

My dog just got her cast off on Monday...8 weeks.  She is limping and has huge pressure ulcers on the bottom of her foot and her ankles..she is bleeng all over the house and i have to keep these loose bandaids on them and a kids tube sock....she is still in her cone...we are ALL sick of that!   

Work has been over the top busy...my colleage went out on Maternity leave then HER replacement took three weeks off to go to Germany ARE YOU KIDDING....what a joke....so...have been slammed at work.

Finally....the good news.....Im pregnant. Barely....4 weeks.  I am of course very worried of miscarriage and all that normal stuff.....and I am exhausted and very sick and dizzy........oh well......its for a good cause..........no one in my family or work knows yet b/c in case I lose it....hope not. 

So....in the end....Im trying to just move on in life.....let the knee heal......focus on good things and try not to dwell on the thngs that might be wrong with my knee.....I started to feel obsessed and so depressed about my knee I had to just step back and ignore it all.

so......gosh...it will take me forever to catch up on everyones posts.  I know that several of you have surgeries coming up. I really really hope they go well........I know how frustrating it is....it is overwhelming and sucks the life out of you.   I will check in on everyones posts!

Thanks for all the nice notes.........sorry I worried everyone!    Felt good to just forget the knee for a bit.....unfortunately....I have to keep at the rehab....so I cant just keep my head in the hole forever!!

:-)
Laura ;D
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline WorkinWings

• Forum Faithful
  • Fixed my failed lateral release: back to flying!
    • Failed lateral release: medial subluxation of the patella
« Reply #395 on: May 21, 2008, 02:42:43 AM »
Oh, Laura!  Welcome back!!  I will sleep a little better tonight.  :)

So happy for the good news...  I guessed it first...  ;)  Fingers and toes crossed!!

I'm sorry you continue to have trouble.  Totally understand your need to take the break.  That's what I had hoped you were doing.

I know I need to do a bit of that as well, but with all that is going on with my knee, I instead am becoming more and more obsessed.  My head just keeps spinning non-stop.

OK.  Will keep this brief 'cause it'll surely be a bit overwhelming for you being back.  Let others welcome you back as well.  I know there's a huge line here waiting to do just that!

Many, many hugs,

Angela

PS- gotta go back and find your description of the bump--is that on top of your patella?  Could it be the ligament reconstruction (did they even do that on you?)--sometimes they fold the loose end over the patella and stitch it there...
Feb'00: Twisting injury (w/"pop")
dx - bone bruise of lateral tibial plateau
Apr'00 to May'07: intermittent pain; NO instability
7/May/07: Lateral Release (which created instability)
17/Jan/08: dx - iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation s/p LR
16/Jan/09: Back to function!
[email protected]

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #396 on: May 21, 2008, 03:04:57 AM »
Laura!  Congratulations on your pregnancy!  Keep taking care of yourself!  I know you were talking about wanting to get pregnant for the past several months!  Keep focusing on that excitement! 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #397 on: May 21, 2008, 09:18:04 AM »
Hi Laura,
Good to hear from you!

Before I go any further will you pm someone your email address so if you disappear we can at least make sure youre ok even if you dont want to discuss knee stuff?

CONGRATULATIONS on your news!!! Im thrilled for you - you mustbe delighted (and nervous!) - it will be fine Im sure, and dont they say all those pregnancy hormones are great for joints too!!!

Sorry to hear you still have knee issues - do you reckon its better than before surgery though? Walking with only a tiny limp is great, subluxing at night is not - wonder what that is? Maybe more strength will solve it.

Poor cone doggie!!!! Im sure she is sick of having an injury too!!! Aw well at least she is almost better!!

Im having my scope tomorrow morning, its mainly a diagnostic and he will blast off some bone spurs and fix torn meniscus while he is in there - he said that may even dramatically improve things for me. So we will see.

Glad you posted sweetie - was worried about you but kinda hoping you were just taking a break and practising getting pregnant!!!
xxx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

dileigh

« Reply #398 on: May 21, 2008, 11:23:04 PM »

Congratulations on being preggers!  We missed you around here.  So, is there doggy PT?

I was hoping you had found out about the bump because I have one at the top of my scar, mostly when my leg is bent. Hope you feel better

Diana

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #399 on: May 22, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »
Hi ya Laura,

Welcome back! Congratulations on the pregnacy I am so excited for you! A January baby will be cool a complete fresh start for you next year  :)

Totaly understand bout you needing to forget bout your knee for a while, its good to escape sometimes.

Sorry to hear that your still subluxing at night, but great bout walking better.

Hope your doing ok and haven't got too many pregnancy symptoms?

Take care

Trace
23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #400 on: May 22, 2008, 08:04:48 PM »
CONGRATS!!!   SO happy for you!  Put crackers on your bedside table and eat a few before getting out of bed!  That always helped me and I have had 5 pregnancies! last one was twins. 
  Sorry to hear you are still having inssues with you knee.  I am having surgery on my left knee now.  The PA calld said I will be having a lateral release beside the clean up iwth my torn cartilege.  Not looking forward to it at all!
   Hop you continue to improve.  How is you sister doing?
melissa
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #401 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:13 PM »
Welcome back Laura.  We missed you.  And a huge Congrats too!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #402 on: June 02, 2008, 01:08:40 AM »
Hi everyone...thanks for the congrats etc......we are very excited...but trying to be cautious in our excitement b/c we are early. We did see a sac the other day but was too early to see anything else.  At 5 wks 3 days now.....no symptoms other than crazy hungry and tired.

The knee is doing better every day but continues to remind me that it is boss. I will be cruising along walking at a good pace and then all the sudden it will sorta give out....havent fallen yet...hope not too....maybe it happens when my leg is tired...Im not sure.  I can go up and down stairs but very slowly...doesnt hurt just very limited strength.  Tried swimming at the pool.....it would occasonally do that patella popping thing that is really freaky....my PT is keeping an eye on it so we will hope and pray that strength will lock that patella into place.  I went and had my first massage in a long time today....ahhhh it felt soo good. She rubbed all over my knee and i LOVED it! 

I am amazed that I still have some swelling in the knee cap.  It is good to realize that though b/c that way I know the tightness and pain has a chance to go away when the swelling goes down. The knee looks normal...but if I push real hard it will leave a dent so I know that it is still swollen.

Other than that...nothing else exciting.   My sister is still seperated...going through counseling and seems to be doing ok so far......My doggie is out of the cast and the bandages...she walks pretty good but her leg still shakes...its a good thing I totally understand what she is going through b/c Im not letting her do any ball chasing or running yet.....dont want her to blow out her achilles again! She still has scabs on her leg but Im just letting them be..she is a dog..she will sort those out herself Im sure.

Ok.  Hope you all continue to heal as well, find answers to your surgery needs and have a happy day!

Laura ;D
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #403 on: June 02, 2008, 03:26:50 AM »
Laura, your support has been so great on everyone's threads!  You better not play that disappearing act again  ;D  Your attitude has completely turned around over the last month or so!  You seem so much more positive and seem to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel!  I can't wait to see that light too!!  I understand about holding off on your pregnancy excitement!  Hopefully you don't have anything to worry about, but you know best since you work with pregnant people for a living.  Have you told any family yet?  I am sure that would drive me nuts to keep it a secret like that.  If we got pregnant any time I would tell the world ASAP!  I know that wouldn't be good, but I wouldn't be able to help it! 

My knee shifts around like yours!  It pops and shifts all the time.  It also locks up painfully.  I am hoping it is all muscle weakness.  Once I told my PA about my knee locking up, he mentioned that strengthening my muscles will make grinding, popping, shifting, and locking all go away.  I didn't even tell him about the grinding and popping yet!  So I think most of that stuff will go away with stronger muscles...I HOPE!  It does irritate me b/c I have to be so careful with bending and straightening my leg all the time.  Anyway, it's time for me to go to bed so I can be awake at work this week!!  I have a couple OS calls to make tomorrow!  So that will be my motivation to get up out of bed at least!  My job has been stressful lately...just busy!  It's hard to focus throughout the day when my knee is always on my mind.  Well have a great week!!  Don't work too hard!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #404 on: June 02, 2008, 08:59:10 AM »
Hi Laura,

Congrats on your pregnancy. You must be so pleased.

Glad to hear your pooch is recovering and you are getting there as well.

I had my knee op the same day as Tanya's and pretty much so far so good. Last night it came out once, but went straight back in. Think my quads are just weak. Knee definitely feels better than before the surgery.

Keep up the good work !!  8)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty