Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Austinknee's LR reconstruction / Extensor Mechanism Repair (Feb 8th)  (Read 82970 times)

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
A summary for those of you who haven't heard my story on any other posts.  I am a 36 year old woman who used to be quite active.  In 2005 I did about 5 triathlons, rode in a centrury (100mile) bike ride, did a bike tour in Italy, and ran a half marathon.  My knee decided it didn't like it and I began having anterior knee pain pretty chronically.  By 2/06 I could barely walk after a race I ran.  A few weeks later I had a cortisone injection that didnt help.  I was told to stop all exercise which I did.  A few months later with no healing in sight, I begain formal physical therapy.   After several months of that....I was offered a Lateral Retinacular Release.  I was told I would be up and running again in 6 weeks.  I had that surgery 11/06 and have never recovered.   I had a lateral release, some chondromalacia shaving and a tiny trim of my meniscus.   Afterward, I regained my full ROM in about 5 days. I was off my crutches in 3 days and back to work on the 5th day.  I began PT as ordered.  Within a few weeks, I noticed that I had some sharp stabbing pains in my calf during any of my exercises. Like someone was sticking my leg in a light socket. It hurt really bad.  ONLY when I did quad exercises...even if it was just a seated quad set.  I had trouble getting my VMO to wake up right away.  I was walking like frankenstein (so said the PT).  I started to notice this odd divot puckering in at the lower lateral incision site from my arthroscopic surgery.   ALL OF THESE THINGS I WAS REPORTING TO MY DOCTOR.  I went on and on for several months like that......finally...by the grace of God....my PT went out of town.  A NEW PT was filling in for her. This PT looked at my leg and said that I should get a second opinion. Something was wrong....I knew this..but couldnt get the OS to listen.

So. To make the rest of this story shorter....I spent all of 2007 in search of someone who knew what to do with me.  I had so many xrays, 2 MRIS on my knee, one MRI of my back, one MRI of my hip, a CT scan on both legs and a nerve conduction/ EMG study.   I saw EIGHT doctors. (dallas, san antonio, and 5 in Austin) and today one in Georgia.   I would say that of the 8....probably 5 had no idea what to do with me.  I wont even go into that whole story....but what a process. 

Eventually, one doctor I did trust found some literature for me.  He told me about a surgery that he thought would work to fix my leg.  He says I have " Iatrogenic medial subluxation of the patella"  "Iatrogenic" means caused by a doctor.    Anyway....he wanted to fix me. I saw him about 4-5 times in consult...thinking about it.....but he had only done it twice. I had confidence in him...but twice is just not enough.  So.....I went out on a limb and contacted the original doctor in Georgia that did the research on my knee problem.  He spoke to me on the phone 3-4 times in great detail and I decided to come here to let him evaluate me....and if It was a good fit, to do the surgery.

So...here I am....and I am scheduled tomorrow morning at the Hughston Sports Med Hospital in Georgia.  They are going to re-construct my lateral retinaculum, do a VMO advancement, try to see what the nerve is that is trapped (peroneal nerve) and removed extensive adhesions that I have all inside my knee.  The big divot is my old LR attached to the fat pad!   If I can figure out how to post some pictures I will put a pre op picture of my knee up..it is pretty odd.  He gives me good hopes for more stability. Says I might not ever kneel or squat comfortably but that I should be much better and get some of my athletc life back.  I will be in the hospital for three days....then do intensive PT in Georgia for two weeks and then I fly home to continue in Austin.  He says it will be a hard recovery and to expect pain..and my knee to look bigger than my thigh tomorrow. (yikes) Im going to have a really big incision on the side of my knee..but I dont really care.

Ok. Well....thats pretty much it for now.  I dont know if they have wireless or anything in the hospital so I wll post the details whenever I get them.  :-)  Thanks so much to all of you that have already given me so much suport and SOO much helpful information on this out of town surgery.   Im going to go take my last really really really long shower!!!   

:-)
Laura
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:37:55 AM by austinknee »
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
Re: Austinknee's LR reconstruction in Georgia!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:08:35 AM »
Laura,

Pflugerville here. I am thinking of you and wishing you the best. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hugs Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

fawn2388

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:13:13 AM »
Good luck.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 07:53:20 AM »
Hi there,

Good luck for your surgery. I'll be thinking of you.

Look forward to hearing how you go.  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 09:17:53 AM »
Good Luck!!!!!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »
Laura,
It sounds like your'e in great hands. Good luck and keep us posted. We love to hear success stories.
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 01:37:18 PM »
GOOD LUCK, LAURA!!! :D
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline riderdown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:28:14 PM »
Thinking of you BIGTIME  today!
Lots of healing vibes, well wishes and prayers headed your way!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Every person is the creation of herself, the image of her own thinking and believing.

Oct '07:complete rupture of ACL, grade 3 MCL, and damage to Meniscus, deep bone bruising of the femur and tibia. Probable Labrum/Accetabular damage in Hip

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 08:30:39 PM »
Laura

Good luck today. You'll be in good hands with Dr Flandry. We'll be waiting to hear how it all went .

Best Wishes

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 02:28:18 AM »
Laura....been thinking of you all day!!!!  Hope you're doing great!

:'( I got a shot in my knee today   :'(

Kat
Tore ACL March 1992
Fixed ACL Patellar Graft March 2005 (That's right 13 years later)
TKR Sept 08

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »
Ok. I think I can keep my eyes open to post my story.  Yesterday I came to the hospital at 700. My case got delayed so I didnt go into surgery until after noon. That was a hard wait!  My surgery took 1 and half hours and I got to my room at 330.

In recovery I was in a lot of pain. Im not a cryer....and I was sobbing I was in so much pain.  I heard the recovery room nurse saying something about how the Anesth. that day was bringing everyone into recovery in pain. I guess she didnt give me enough stuff?  They got anesthesia to come give me a femoral nerve block and they pushed lots of IV meds.  One really really cool thing that they did in the surgery and after was plug this warming air hose up to my hospital gown. The gown was a thick paper and it had an opening in it...sorta like the size of a vaccuum hose...it kept me so warm it was nice.

After recovery I came into my room and basically slept on and off all afternoon.  Dr. Flandry came by in the evening at some point adn I only vaguely remember it. I said something funny that made him really laugh...but I have no idea what I said.   

Good news was that besides the defect and scarring, my knee looked really good. The meniscus and the catilage. He said they were in good shape. Im so happy b/c I was worried that all the bumping and grinding I was having have been chewing up the cartiilage.

He said that my lateral retinacular capsule had about 2 cellular layers of skin and thats ALL that was holding my knee cap to the lateral side.   He said that I was a perfect candidate for repair and that I should have never had the LR done on me.  They used part of my IT band and 1/4th of my patellar tendon to recreate a lateral retinaclum. They also pulled whatever was left of the knee capsule over to close the defect  in myknee.  They said I had extensive scarring from the site of the LR down to the fat pad. They had to cut that out and also I lost a fair amount of my fat pad.  Im not happy about that...but haven't read up on that yet.  All and all he said it was a good case and he expets me to do very well.  He took a lot of pictures of my knee as an example to teach.  I cant wait to see them.

So, the rest of the guts and glory of recovery.  I had to use a bed pan all day yesterday. Who knew urinating could be so hard. Getting on the thing was hard...then I just sat there...couldn't go...took forever for my brain to go.  Finally I could go. Trying to balance on one foot, pee AND not get my full leg brace wet was hard.   All night long my husband was having to help get me on and off that thing.     I started throwiing up at about 900 last night. Threw up a few times. Nothing worse than liquid coming out your nose and mouth. BLA.  again, my poor husband.  They were giving me nausea and itching meds as injections in my butt. Why they heck they didnt use my IV site, I have no idea.   My night nurse wasn't that nice.  As a matter of fact....last night she was giving me some pain medicine in my IV.  I had been sitting there on my bed pan waiting for her to help me off it.....sitting IN the urine. So, I asked her to help me...she did.....and, in the mean while she forgot to push in my medicine..and she left the room. This morning I was asking for more pain med and they said it wasn't time yet.  When the new nurse came in....we discovered that my syringe full of pain med from last night was plugged iinto the IV line just hanging there....she didnt push it in last night. DUH...no wonder the pain med didnt work!!!!  The day shift nurse is GREAT. 

I have a really cool ice pump, pressure pump thing on my leg. It is called a "game ready" machine. It is one of those circulating water cryo cuffs....and it is sequentially squeezing my leg to keep the fluid and swelling down and to prevent blood clot.

They started me on Lovenox injections and aspirin today to prevent a DVT. Also they gave me stool softeners, iron, multivitamin, vitamin C, nad ongoing IV antibiotics.

I start PT tomorrow.

Ok. Thats it.  Gosh,it is hard to type when you are on pan meds. My head is swirly and my eyes keep closing!   Thank you to everyone that emailed with good wshes.!    Also....thanks so much to everyone that gave me the tips before I came. The tips to bring baby wipes for bathroom, the tip that I might throw up, the lemon drop tip for nausea, and so many more I cant remember....but wonderful.

Im hoping the rest of the nght is non eventful. Will post tomorrow after I have the first PT.

:-) Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline riderdown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »
Great report!

I have no time now, but so glad to hear you are doing good! Sorry you hurt so much post op. Man I don't miss that. hang in there. We're thinkin about you!
Every person is the creation of herself, the image of her own thinking and believing.

Oct '07:complete rupture of ACL, grade 3 MCL, and damage to Meniscus, deep bone bruising of the femur and tibia. Probable Labrum/Accetabular damage in Hip

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 03:20:58 AM »
Awe...thank God.  I was worried, and so glad to hear that the surgery went well.  So sorry about the bedpan, and nausea.  What a bummer!  Cool to hear about the ventilated gown...very nice.  Keep us posted....it is so wonderful to hear the news when one of "US' gets to go forward!!!  God Bless.  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
Fixed ACL Patellar Graft March 2005 (That's right 13 years later)
TKR Sept 08

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 04:37:49 AM »
Thanks. I hope Im going forward. Im getting pretty pissy being in the hospital.  Im going to request to get out of here tomorrow. I dont think I need to be getting IM meds still....they hurt and Im sick of it. I want oral pain meds.....and I want my stupid IV out.  Im grumpy :-) ha ha......the bed that elevates up and down is the only good thing....and I guess the ice machine.   Im mad at the nurses they are not being very attentive.

No more nausea today. Ate all my meals fine. I have been up to the bathroom many times wiht touchdown only on my toe.  My leg feels like it weighs five hunderd pounds when I get up and my patella feels like it has a nail through it...but, it is day one so I am not surprised at all.  I just hope that Im not screwing something up.   My big goal...get through rehab without scar tissue, infection, etc....seems so easy...but so far off too.

:-) Thanks for the notes!  It sure is boring laying in bed all day long!

Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline NotEnough

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 05:06:25 AM »
Hey Laura,

Sounds like the surgery itself went pretty smoothly. I had my fat pad removed completely (I'm told) during my first surgery, but I have yet to really figure out what it means because the area just filled with swelling and scarring. Keep me posted on yours and how it feels differently as you progress.

I hope you get out of the hospital soon and can relax in a more comfortable setting before focusing on rehab.

Take care,
Sarah
4/07: LR
9/07: MUA, LOA, LR, MR
2/08: LOA, MR
11/08: LOA, Partial menisectomy, Chrondoplasty
6/09: Notchplasty, LOA