Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 115640 times)

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #720 on: July 03, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »
What a postive post was so excited to read it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good luck in TEXAS and with all your surgeries you would be a great doctor so glad your following your dream.  Kate had a bad fall at team camp but doc said just brusiing and she can go back to play next week with a volleyball pad on the knee she landed directly on the screw which made all the tissue swell but he was pleased with how it held up she is back full time on the court and knee is great and her body I would say is Half way back we are starting her with a Personal Trainer and nutritionist on monday. She seems excited  9months took a big hit on her body but it is slowly bouncining back.

I think eventually we will take out that last screw and then hire plastic surgeon to redo the scar it spread very wide it is not a thin line like most peoples, But we are all in a good place she is looking at colleges and will be a senior this year

Have a great summer and move    I agree with waiting on the tri and half but make sure you post it is always so awesome to read of the success stories.

all my best and great success suzanne

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #721 on: April 13, 2011, 03:36:27 AM »
Wow, I have not been onto Knee Geeks in nearly a year.  Where does the time go???  I guess it is true that once the knee problems are settled then there is no need to visit a message board like this anymore.  I have been happily enjoying my pain free knees for over two years now.  There is NO ACTIVITY that is off limits to me physically anymore.  If I want to do something, I do it.

Almost a year ago I moved to Texas.  What an amazing adventure that has been.  Fast forward to today and so much has changed in my life over the past year, its hard to believe.  Although I moved to Dallas to pursue a career in medicine, my life had other plans.  I said all along that I was moving to Texas to pursue my dreams.  I just did not realize that I had already reached my dreams.  So now I am working as a tutor (while I wait for the Education System to improve down here.)  I have a degree in teaching that I am finally putting to use.  I love every minute of it.  I am also married now and living in the Houston area.  I did not meet my husband until after I moved to Texas, but we are both older and knew what we wanted.

The wild and crazy physical activities are a wonderful perk of the knee surgeries that I had.  They are proof that there is a light at the end of the very long and painful tunnel.  Dr Teitge truely gave me a wonderful gift.  However, the most important part of that gift is what he is allowing me to do pain free right now.  I am 5 months pregnant with my first child.  I can go through the pregnancy with total confidence that my knees will not be a bother for me.  Thats worth more than any race I could ever run.  The pregnancy is a total surprise, but my husband and I are both thrilled.  We find out the gender on May 2nd. 

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #722 on: April 14, 2011, 03:27:25 AM »
Great Post I havent been out here in 6 months and in the early days this was my lifeline to survival.

What a great post see ya on facebook!!!!!

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #723 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Really pleased for you that you are doing really well after having had knee problems for so many years and gives hope to other people out there that you can get your knee fixed and return to full physical activities again. I myself want to be able to go out jogging and after reading your post it may come true and will be able to run again some day.

It is great that you now love living in Texas and looks like a beautiful place when I have seen it on TV. You are right there is light at the end of the tunnel and I know it took a few years for you to come out of it.

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Hooligan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #724 on: July 10, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »
Brianne -
This was a great post to read! So inspirational.

I had a TTT on my left knee one year ago. Getting my strength back has been one heck of a struggle - I have gained so much muscle but have a long ways to go to even out all the imbalances.

Can you tell me this though - how did you get over the fear of reinjury? I am SO terrified, that it's holding me back in my rehab - getting in to the final range of extension in walking and in other exercises (to target the VMO) still freaks me out!

Again, thanks for the inspirational post!

Hooligan

May 1998 - LK scope, loose body and scar tissue removal
March 2008 - LK scope, plica removal, partial lateral release
July 2010 - LK  TTT (tibial tubercle transfer to correct patella alta)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #725 on: July 16, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
Hi Brianne,

I am now in the same situation as you are in and my right knee is more and less back to how it was before my fall and can run, jog, kneel and squat pain free. I wanted to know how long was it until you could jog longer distance as my physio and sports physician tell me no to jog too long distance. I can easily run 3 miles 3 times a week and feel I could jog further as I do not feel any pain in my right knee apart from the odd twinge of pain that I can accept as it goes away as quickly as it comes.

Did you gradually increase the miles while jogging over a period of months and did your knee flare up at all if you did too many miles at once that happened to me by running over 5 miles in one go. I not had a flare up for over 6 weeks now so think my knee ready to take on more miles.

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Cschwartz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #726 on: August 07, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »
Brianna, I too have had 5 surgeries on the left name, the most recently done about 5 weeks ago. I've been through a hellacious time. And truly need an os that has experience with the subluxed patellas. Do you mind sharing the surgeon that you said finally made you have a successful life with your knees? I feel like I've been to some of the best butt I'm clearly nowhere that I need to Be. In one surgery I had the mpfl reconstruction with hamstring and the tibial tubercle osteotomy and nothing has been really correct since then :(

Offline Cschwartz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #727 on: August 07, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »
[

Briannas surgeon sounds like one of the great ones! Can anyone tell me who she went to? I keep seeing  a Dr T but thats all?  I have had the big mpfl and tto surgery and so on... no success yet. !!

quote author=brianne link=topic=40953.msg348219#msg348219 date=1202663226]
Day 3:

I think its the rule whenever I have a left TTT done that it has to be snowy and super cold.  The high here today is 4 degrees.  My first left TTT was done on a Thursday and we had a major blizzard and cold front that first weekend.  Oh well, not like I am going much of anywhere.  It has been a very bad winter here and I have spent most of it recovering from knee surgery.  I guess its better to do it in the winter then in the summer when I would really want to be active.

So I slept well last night, but sleeping has never been an issue for me.  I still have a lot of numbness in my lower leg.  I am not sure if that is from the swelling or left over from the spinal/femoral nerve block.  Every now and then that area starts to feel warm and it also gets itchy and tingles.  I hope that means the nerves are waking up.  The pain is still pretty bad.  I find that most of the pain is felt in the MPFL recon area, I really do not even notice the TTT site pain all that much.  This is interesting because when I had the solo TTT's they were plenty painful. 

I have my first PT session tomorrow.  I am really not doing that much in the first few weeks.  I cannot do a SLR for 6 weeks as my OS wants the osteotomy site to heal and a SLR puts stress on the patellar tendon which will put stress on the osteotomy site.  So the first 6 weeks are mostly ROM, a few gentle quad exercises, and that is about it.  However, I am no where near done with the rehab on my right knee and so it will continue in a modified format while my left knee heals.

My first PO appointment will be Feb 18th.  All my PO appointments will be done with my local OS.  He will expect 90 ROM when I see him.  That has never been a problem, so I am not worried at all about that.

So, thats all for now.

Oh yeah, and I have decided that when I am all healed from these knee surgeries I am going to get another dog.  I have a 1 year old Cairn Terrier named Benny and I think he would be happier with a playmate.  I want a female West Highland White Terrier.  But, I cannot worry about a new puppy until after I am back on my feet.  But it gives me something to look forward to!

Brianne
[/quote]

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #728 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:45 PM »
On here, Dr T usually refers to a US surgeon called Dr Teitge , if you do a search on the forum. It is possible he has retired / ceased practising though based on the most recent postings

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/knee-surgeon/dr-robert-bob-allan-teitge
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:32:00 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Cschwartz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #729 on: August 07, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Thank u so much! ☺☺☺ but it sounds pretty sad if he has retired because it sure is hard to find a surgeon that seems to specialize in these patella dislocations and subluxing issues.. I have had two very well decorated orthopedic surgeons both primarily in sports medicine but I think I feel worse now than I did before I had all of this "fixed"   how are u doing "vickster"?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #730 on: August 07, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
Another surgeon who has been favourably reviewed is a Mark Sanders in Texas, but there have also been poor reports...he seems like an acquired taste or 'marmite' as we would say here in the UK. Use the search function

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/knee-surgeon/dr-mark-sanders

Another who gets consistently positive feedback on here for patella issues is Dr Arendt

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/knee-surgeon/dr-elizabeth-arendt

https://www.ortho.umn.edu/bio/orthopaedic-surgery/elizabeth-arendt

From your language, I'm assuming you are in the US, otherwise this is all a bit irrelevant!

I'm doing ok, thanks for asking
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:54:27 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Cschwartz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #731 on: August 07, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
Haha yes, Im in usa. Am I on a forum that is out of the country? Lol . I have read so many different forms and trying to get different perspectives of these humongous surgeries we've all went through and this one stood out to me because of the previous post from Brianna of her failed attempts of surgery and then finding this doctor that gave her life back and now running and in marathons.  Are you a fellow need dislocator as well? And have you went through all the big mpfl and TPO osteotomies or what? It's amazing what we put our bodies through just so that we can get back to having an active fulfilling life! 🙄🙄🙄

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #732 on: August 07, 2017, 06:56:36 PM »
Yes, the site owner is in the UK

No, no dislocations here. Just good old arthritis and degenerate meniscus. No major surgeries, just a couple of arthroscopies

Just saw your post in the recent list, you responded to a thread that's been dormant for about 6 years, so unlikely to get any response otherwise
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:59:39 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Cschwartz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #733 on: August 07, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »
I actually live the state of Tennessee, it sure would be nice if I could find someone within driving distance but it seems like all of the good ones are in bigger cities and metropolitan areas :/

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #734 on: August 07, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »
There are probably only a handful of true patella experts across the world, probably will need to travel. Plenty of planes flying around the US :)

Good luck
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

support