Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 121957 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #705 on: January 07, 2010, 09:42:27 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Glad your ankle surgery has be a success and can do physical activities again and could enjoy your Holiday in the warmth. We having arctic weather condition in the UK at the moment and set to stay all week.

Nick  {2009}
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #706 on: January 12, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »
I'm a bad girl.  But we already knew that.  I ran at the gym last night...only a half mile...but I am not technically "supposed" to run yet.  My OS said I could rehab on my own, but he apparently did not realize that I get into all sorts of trouble when left on my own.

Ankle feels great.  I am going to run again tonight.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #707 on: January 12, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Its good you are able to run again and no you could not for a long time until you had your knee surgeries. I also going to do all I can to be able to run again and hope my scope is a success and can run in a few months time and would go through another surgery until i can finally run but do not think it will come to that and my scope I had done 8 weeks ago helps me to run again.

I intend to do the London Marathon one year and my knee will not stop me from doing it. Pleased your ankle still feels ok and surgery worked for you.

Nick   :) {2010} :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:29:46 PM by Clarkey »
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #708 on: January 12, 2010, 07:06:37 PM »
Nick,

I have no ambitions of ever doing a Marathon.  Although I love running and being active, running 26 miles is just insane.  Running distances that far is hard on even good joints.  I am really getting more into the idea of competing in triathalons.  It allows me to be real active, but its less running as there is also swimming and biking.

My advice, don't try to run the London Marathon.  I would recommend that to someone who has never had bad knees.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #709 on: January 14, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »
Hi Brianne,

I have to agree with your about running a marathon, 26 miles is far too much if you have knee problems like we both do. My Physio advised me not to do too much running with my maltracking as I would only make my knees worse. I had no knee pain when I was runing before my fall back in October 2007 but always get pain on and off in my left knee that maltracks more then my right.

Its a good idea to do what you will be doing, competing in triathalons but I am a weak swimmer but a good biker and runner if I can ever run again?

Nick :) {2010} :)

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #710 on: January 22, 2010, 07:52:56 PM »
I have seen my OS about my ankle for the last time.  I am four months post-op and I have been fully cleared to do whatever I want.  I have zero activity restrictions.  I have resumed running and I am going snowboarding Jan 29-31.  Functionally, my ankle feels wonderful.  There is a little bit of stiffness when I first wake up in the morning, but that resolves itself quickly.  Myy calf muscles are still somewhat atrophied, but they are coming back. 

Many of my friends have asked me how having ankle surgery affected my knees.  There are concerns for the knees due to walking boots, changes in gait, and added stress for carrying the load for a bum ankle.  When my ankle injury occured I was very scared that my knees would go downhill following the injury.  In fact, when the injury first occured my local OS was very reluctant to put me in a walking boot because he was concerned about the stress that would put on my knees.  About four week after my injury my knees were feeling a bit cranky and I was scared that they were not going to hold up to the stress.  Luckily, after that point they settled down and my knees were uneventful the rest of the time I was in the boot. (14 weeks total)

Now my quads lost a bit of muscle...probably due to my overall inactivity.  The quads came back in no time at all once I was able to work on them at the gym.  My right VMO was particularly atrophied after the ankle injury, but has fully bounced back.  I am up to running 2 miles a night at the gym and my knees are fairing well.  My patellar tendons were a little angry the first time I ran after a 5 month running hiatus, but have settled back down.

Overall, everything seems to be well in my legs.  My knees do not seem to be affected by the ankle injury.  My ankle has fully recovered. 

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #711 on: January 23, 2010, 10:42:23 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Great news about your ankle surgery being a success and can now go back to physical activities you enjoy doing which is a great start to the New Year for you. You will soon build up your quads at the gym and may feel the odd pain in your knee an ankle while running which is normal after so many surgerys.

I hope to be more physically active again and start to jog again as it something I enjoy doing and missing it a lot and hope my surgery was a success and can run again in a few months time.

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #712 on: February 05, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »
Great to catch up on your post and see that you are doing AWESOME  what a great post to read keep up the good work and good luck

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #713 on: February 18, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
I am so pleased that my progress has been positive.  I am coming up on 5 months since my ankle surgery and things are fantastic.  I have spent the past month trying to get back up to speed with running and general conditioning.  I am set to launch "official" training for running and triathalons on March 1st.  I ran a mile in 7 minutes and 20 seconds last night at the gym, which is a good time for me at this stage in the game.  Here is my tentative race schedule for 2010:

May 1- 5k run
May 15- 5K run
June 3- 10K run
June 2010- Olympic Distance triathalon
July 3rd- half Olympic triathalon
August 2010- Olympic Distance Triathalon
September 25- 5K run

I want to do longer distances but coming off of ankle surgery and really knee surgery (its been two years since my knee surgery) I want to take it somewhat slow.  If 2010 goes well I will try for some longer distances in 2011.

As for the snowboarding, the snow has been lousy the past few weeks and so I have not been out.  I am dying to go again...so I hope for one last blast of winter in the next week or so.  After that, its time for Spring!

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #714 on: February 20, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Have got a good schedule during the Spring and Summer months and glad you are able to run again and ankle and knee are doing ok. I am not giving up just yet on not being able to run again as I intend to do all I can to be able to run again some day. Hope you have a good weekend.

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #715 on: June 23, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »
you sound awesome I am so glad it is all going so well for you forever greatful for your help with kate she will hit the one year since surgery this week and hard to believe it went this fast.  last year this time i was a wreck

all my best and continue to post on all your accomplishments how was the TRI i would like to try one did a half marathon in march but at 49 a tri may be to much not much of a swimmer

keep up the good work.

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #716 on: June 25, 2010, 03:33:23 AM »
Suzanne,

Thanks for the message.  Wow, its hard to believe that Kate had her surgery a year ago.  I am happy to hear that things are going really well for her.  Is she back to playing basketball full speed?

As for me, its going well.  I am holding off on the triathalons and 1/2 marathons until 2011.  I just feel that I need to give my ankle and my knees as well more time to build back up strength and to get used to the pounding.  I increased my milage pretty steadily all spring until I hit about 7-8 mile runs.  At that point my ankle started to get a bit cranky and so I backed off to no more than 6 mile runs.  That seems to be a good amount for now.  I'll work at increasing my milage in the fall.

My life is very busy these days.  My dream since I was in High School has been to go to Medical School and become a Doctor.  I have a Bachelors in English and I have been doing pre-med requirements on and off for 4 years.  I have finally made the decision to go for it and finish my pre-med requirements.  I am moving to Texas in 7 weeks and will be starting class in 9 weeks.  I'm very excited, and a little nervous.  I don't know what I want to specialize in just yet.  I am considering either Sports Medicine as that is an obvious with my experiences.  I am also considering something nutrition related as I also have Celiac Disease.  I figure I have a lot of time to decide.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #717 on: June 25, 2010, 03:40:32 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Nice to hear about a success story on KG for a change rather then negative postings about surgery thats gone wrong or not helped solve the knee problem. Its best to build up slowly and hold back doing triathalons and 1/2 marathons until next year, is a sensible thing to do.

Its always nice to fulfill a dream and would be great to work in medicine if its something you always wanted to do .You are use to studying with your Bachelors in English and should find the course you are going to be doing no problem, good luck in whatever you decide to choose.

Offline Ruth M.

• Regular Poster
« Reply #718 on: June 30, 2010, 03:49:35 AM »
Brianne - I am just lurking around on kg this evening and came across this post - go for it! Always remember that gentle OS in Michigan that never gives up and be a doc (whatever field you chose) just like him. I saw him today and we have a date for a revision on 7/29 (exact anniversary of the first one). I always leave the office feeling like things are under control and he has a plan - he is amazing. don't let anyone stand in your way of going after your dreams.

Ruth

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #719 on: June 30, 2010, 04:01:56 AM »
Ruth,

Good luck with your surgery on July 29th.  Yes, you are right...Dr T always has a plan and you leave his office feeling confident and at ease with the situation.

I will forever be grateful for Dr T.  He has given me more than he could ever realize.  My dream was to run again and so many OS's said that it was impossible and that I should give up on running and take up knitting.  He told me it was possible and that I could do everything I wanted to do. 

More than that gift Dr T gave me, he showed me what a real Doctor should be.  He is so humble, gentle, kind, creative, and intelligent.  He never gives up on a patient.  He is a rare talent in the field of medicine.  He is exactly the kind of Doctor I aspire to be.

41 more days until I move to Texas and 52 more days until I start classes.  Excited, nervous, anxious, scared, pumped...all at the same time.  Its going to be a hard and long journey, but in life its as much about the journey as it is the destination.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

support