Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 114502 times)

brianne

Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Farrah,

I am in a pretty good amount of pain, but sleeping has never been an issue for me.  I have never had trouble falling asleep after any surgery. 

I have a house with a fully fenced in back yard.  My mom has a Westie and so I know that I like the breed.  I like smaller sized dogs better than big ones because they are easier to handle.  Benny is a great dog, but he gets bored and I know he would be happier with a playmate.  So, it gives me a good goal to work towards.

Brianne

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »
Brianne, it's too bad that you are in so much pain.  I didn't realize that.  Sorry.  Hopefully you will feel better soon.  I guess you are in more pain with this surgery since your left was so much worse than your right.  Sorry you have to go through that.  I am sure you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel though....I guess it probably looks like a peep hole at the moment...soon it will be a larger light.  I am envious of you almost being done fixing both of your knees. 

Puppies are so fun, but tons of work.  I also like smaller breeds.  I am a short person (5' 1/2" tall) so large dogs practice knock me over.  When I used to go to the dog park a lot, they would not pay attention to the people standing around.  So while the dogs are playing hey are running into people.  When they run into me, I almost fall down every time.  Sometimes it hurts.  They have caused my knees to hyper-extend sometimes.  Who knew that a dog park would be hazardous!   Anyway, keep thinking about puppies :)  Something to look forward to.  I wish I could get another one.  I have a jack russell and a wire haired dachshund.  Here are some pics from when they were puppies all the way through now.  See the link below.  The blonde one is Aury and the other is Marshall.  One of the images is of me....bad one!!  One is of when Marshall had is cast on from breaking his leg.  Like dog, like owner!  :) 

http://spsu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2003256&l=214ec&id=75400793

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

brianne

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 03:36:12 PM »
Day 5:

I could not fall asleep all last night.  Every time I would try to move it was a super sharp pain.  I could not get comfortable.  I had my leg propped up on two pillows and at some point during the night my leg twisted and came down off the pillows...that hurt so much.  Its interesting because darvocet has always managed my PO pain and this time its not doing a thing for the pain, but instead making me so dizzy that I can barely function.  Its frustrating.  This surgery has been the worst of all my surgeries.  All of my pain is in the MPFL area, I do not even notice the TTT area.  I would have thought that a TTT was more painful, but so far that has not been the case.  I am going to ask my PT to talk to my OS about something different for pain.  I am usually off all strong pain meds by this point after surgery, but this one has just been so much more painful. 

I am sick of surgery.  This is my fourth major surgery in 16 months.  Its crazy and I am probably crazy for putting myself through so many surgeries so close together.  But, its almost over and I will be able to enjoy my summer this year.   I also think that my infection so close to my second surgery was a huge emotional stress and I did not realize how much it would be. 

Brianne

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 03:51:36 PM »
Brianne - may you never need another surgery again!!

Im so sorry to hear you have so much pain - guess that left side is screaming aloud now that its realised it has to do what its told from now on. Its just havin a temper tantrum.

Given that your pain tolerance must be incredibly high also I know if you say youre hurting - you must be HURTING!!!

Definitely enquire about more pain meds. This is only a temporary thing, you will sail past this bit - but you need to get the pain meds to help you sail.

I shall up the quantity and quality of the good vibes coming from me and try to aim them directly at the source of your pain to give you some relief. I found a prayer beside my car (im not remotely religious) and curious i picked it up - it as called 'prayer for freedom from curses' - what a coincidence I thought, Id only just been moaning about my knee - and its been feeling much better since so I shall read it aloud this evening and put your name into it and we'll see can we get this curse of pain to leave you - Ill be home in 2 hours or so - Ill do it immediately (so speaks the heathen - but hey if it might work theres no harm in trying eh??)
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

brianne

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 11:09:51 PM »
Tanya,

Thanks for the encouraging words.  It really helps to know that I have so many people supporting me through all of this.

I went to PT today and she agreed that I am incredibly swollen.  I did get something stronger for pain, but all pain meds seem to make me dizzy, so its kind of a lesser of two evils situation for me.  My Pt did think that much of my pain is being caused by my swelling.  So right now the goal is to get the swelling down and hopefully that will get rid of much of my pain.  I certainly hope so.  I am elevating it as much as I can and icing every hour for 15 minutes.  Since much of my swelling is in my lower leg then I have an additional ace bandage wrapped around my lower leg to help push some of the swelling out. 

The good news from PT today is that I got 93 degrees ROM with very little effort.  But I get ROM easy, so that is not a surprise to me. 

To encourage myself I went ahead and ordered my new hiking boots for this summer when I am going to be hiking all over Lake Superior.  I figure I can put them in front of me and use them as inspiration to push through all of this.

http://www.asolo.com/photo/OM3603_356.jpg

Brianne

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »
Hi Brianne, I just wanted to offer you a little feeling that you are not alone. I had my LR reconstruction on the day after yours. Im out of town staying at a hotel and feel like crap too. I started PT today. I got about the same ROM as you...but with great effort. They said if I didnt get to at least 90 by day 5 they would do a MUA...no way. I have to keep 90 through tomorrow.  It is so hard when you want your knee to bend but it just cant. My husband came with me for support to PT. he was watchiing me try to bend it. Im sure it must be tempting to just want to reach out and BEND IT.  Anyway, Im on Darvocet too l ike you. Im needing it every 4 hours. With my last surgery I was off pain meds by now...and thsi time Im watching the clock until I can have it again.  I feel good for about 30 minutes, then swirly dizzy...then tired and sleep...then I wake up groggy...then pain....then the cycle starts again. It sucks.  I just cant wait until these initial weeks pass and I can get to working on real stuff. My back is killing me too from having to sit with my leg in the air in an immobilizer. I dont remember if you aer in one too?   Anyway. If you are lonely or bored. Im stuck here on line hunting for relief and entertainment too.....  Laura
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline sailchic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 01:17:15 AM »
oooohhh those boots look great.  I have a pair of asolo low sided trail shoes and absolutely love them!  Comfortable enough that I've been wearing them every day it's snowed this winter.  Great traction.  They've saved my knees more than once.

So are you hiking with a group?  Planned trip?  I'm hoping to do a few trips up in Vermont this summer.  My uncle moved up there last year and aparently his house is basically right in the middle of the presidential range.  He offered me and a few friends the back yard... my kind of camping... the kind where a shower and bathroom are within easy walking distance ;-)

If you're looking for ways to distract yourself online from the fact that you're leg is on strike, I'll fess up and share the fact that I recently got hooked on internet poker. (I know, totally embarassing)  My bf plays for real money online (like 2 cents a hand) and he talked about it so much that I tried it.  They have these practice rooms where you can play with fake money and it's actually pretty fun.  Particularly because you can play multiple hands at once.  Its my secret goal to play through all this crap and end up a poker shark in the end :)  I'll make my knees pay me for something damn it!

I'm sorry this go round is tough.  If the swelling stays bad you could always ask your doc for a few days of worth of celebrex? 

Stay warm!  It's cold here and I heard it's like a million times worse where you are!

Liz
11/02 L LR, Medial Reefing,
9/05 L TTT, Medial Reefing
9/06 L unscrewed, LR repair
12/07 L TTT revision
12/08 L unscrewed
12/09 R TTT
5/10 R unscrewed

9/11 L MPFL & LPFL repair, VMO adv. -- "global tightening"

EDS Classical Type

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Sorry to hear you are in a lot of pain and really struggling. It can only get better.

The operations are now over and can focus on your rehab.

Like you I've had a lot of operations over the last couple of years. I actually counted the other day that I've had 5 operations in a little over 2 years. It's quite a scary thought and don't realise how stressful it can be.

I hope you start feeling better soon and the pain meds start to kick in.

Keep your chin up !!  :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

brianne

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
Day 6:

I am still in tons of pain and the swelling is not going down.  Its frustrating.  I knew this surgery was going to be worse, but I am just so sick of surgery.  I did not realize that I would be and so this has kind of caught me by surprise.

I do not have much else to say today.  I am kind of bummed, but not all that much because of my knee.  A good family friend is dying.  She was awaiting a liver transplant but her body has detiorated too much and so her Dr's say she is too far gone to attempt a transplant.  She is going home and will be on Hospice.

But, I keep reminding myself that the light at the end of this tunnel is that I will have two functioning knees and will be able to do a lot of things I have been unable to do.  Its just that the light right now is not so easy to see.  It will get better.  It always does.  :)

Brianne

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
  • suffering with my knee for 8 years. i'm only 20!!!
    • RoboLove Clothing
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 09:35:21 PM »
Hi Brianne,

I'm so sorry to hear about your family friend. It's terrible to lose someone. I lost my cousin just over a week before my surgery and the funeral ended up being on the day of my surgery so i couldn't even go. It felt like everything was against me and I am also experiencing a lot of pain.

The thing getting me through it is the thought of having a summer where i can go out with my friends and walk along the beach for hours :)

It seems bad now but it will get better. I hope you feel better soon.

Gemma  x
1995 - first trip to the doctor with 'growing pains'
1998 - xrays show left patella is out of place
1999 - first dislocation
1999-2006 - Physio therapy every week
Jan2007 - Traumatic dislocation
feb 2007 - OS suggests surgery
Jan 2008 - date for surgery 30th jan

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 09:47:52 PM »
Hey Brianne,
Cheer up, "honey". I think you've had too many cold dreary days and are in need of some sunshine. So I'm sending some your way.

;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 10:34:50 PM »
Brianne...if it makes you feel better...I am 5 or 6 days out now too. I feel the same way. I had no idea it would be so bad this time. My knee and ankle are swollen and my back is killing me...even the ice machine hurts. It is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel...I just watch the clock and know that soon the dreaded night time will be here....and that is the worst. YUCK.  You are not abnormal. This part is the pits. I wish I could remember how long it took to turn the corner...but I cant remember........sgh.  I know that doesnt help you...but you are not alone.   Im sorry about your family friend too. That is very sad. 
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 01:22:38 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend.  That is hard.  You will be in my prayers.
How is your pain today?  Gotten any better? Maybe you should ask your OS for something different to help with the pain.  Hope you will get some rest tonight!
melissa
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 02:04:13 AM »
Brianne,

I am so sorry about what you are going through.  Like you posted after one of my painful weeks...keep your chin up and it will all get better.  Sorry about your friend.  I really want to say something so positive and inspiring, but I am horrible at that.  Just know that I am thinking about you and I understand your emotions about your friend.  It makes me want to cry b/c I think back to when my good friend died in a horrific car accident a little over a year ago.  Jan 14th was 1 year.  I don't mean to compare, but I am so sorry about everything.  Losing a friend is bad enough, but to see one go through what yours is, that is very very difficult.  Keep taking care of yourself!!!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 09:05:04 AM »
Hey Brianne,
so sorry to hear about your family friend. Its so sad. I guess we are lucky its only knees that bother us.

There is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel, youre gonna be tap dancing in no time - just gotta get through this horrible part first!!!

Ive been saying that prayer I found for you - I hope it works soon.
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

support