Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 113046 times)

brianne

Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:30:56 AM »
Well, its official, I have two knees that will no longer be able to do what they want.  They will have to behave for me.   ;D

So, the fun really started yesterday because I had to figure out how to get to Detroit in a blizzard with my mom stuck in Northern Michigan.  Gosh I love winter!   :P  So a friend of my mom agreed to drive me to D-town last night.  It was fun, we drove 30-40 mph the whole way and it took 6 hours instead of 3.  But we made it at 1am. 

I woke up this morning and headed to the hospital.   My mom was enroute but travel was slowed because of black ice.  My ride could not stay and so I flew solo for this one.  My mom was hoping to make it before I went in, but she encountered some closed highway due to a major accident.

In the pre-op I was turned into a human pincushion.  they could not find a vein to start the IV.  It took 5 tries and they had to use a vein on my right hand as the tried all the veins on my left with no luck.  I had a spinal like I did last time.  I much prefer it.  They gave me sedtion so I was out of it in the surgery.  General makes me sick, but I have not been at all sick with this one.  Plus it helps with pain right out of surgery.  So, my mom was still 30 miles away when I went into surgery.  Bummer, but I am used to the whole surgery routine so I was fine without her.  I talked to my OS before surgery and he told me what he was planning on doing.  I told him that he fixed my right knee so he could do whatever he wanted to my left knee just as long as it was fixed.

I woke up just as they were taking me out of the OR.  I felt no pain, it was weird...I was like, did you do the surgery.  Haha.  My MPFL was completely shredded (ya think, with as many dislocations as I have?) and my TTT needed to be revised due to patella alta.  But once it was all done the patella was in the right spot and it looked good.  My OS said that in a few months I will be a very happy person.  I told him that he will be my hero if he is right.  :)  My mom finally got to come back into recovery.  She said that my OS told her that he fixed it all and that he was the coolest OS in the country because he fixed it. 

I made it to my room by 5pm.  Between the spinal and a femoral nerve block, I am feeling great.  I have almost no pain.  I am in a CPM which is set from 0 to 80 right now.  They will turn it up to 90 tomorrow.

That is all for now.

Brianne

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:56:58 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Glad to hear that your surgeries are over now.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »
Hi Brianne,
Thats wonderful, Im so happy for you!! So now all you have to look forward to is 2 GOOD knees!!!! wow!!
Sorry to hear about all the blizzard conditions and closed highways etc but hey - you made it!!!

Dr T will also be MY hero so you can let him know he is being worshipped from afar also :)

I hope you have a speedy recovery, perhaps now you can put some serious thought into your book, as you wont have to spend any time worrying about your knees anymore!!

My right knee awaits a postcard from both your good knees - but of course I expect they wont be mailing anyone til theyve had a little recovery time!!

Looking forward to following this thread!
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

brianne

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »
kjwilkin,

Thanks for the well wishes again.  Not too much longer til your OS appointment, I wish you the best of luck.

Tanya,

Expect a postcard from my knees in about six weeks.  Haha, they should both be used to behaving by then.  I certainly hope so!

So I am just waiting for the epidural to wear off so I can use my right leg to get around.  After that I am going to prove that I can move around and then I am out of here.  Yay.

So there is always much debate about post-op protocols and how they vary so much.  My post-op protocol is even different with my left then my right.  I was WBAT with my right and encouraged to get off crutches as soon as I could.  This time I am toe-touch for at least 2 weeks and possibly more than that.  I'll see my local OS at 2 weeks PO and he will decide if I can put more weight on it.  I asked my OS why the different weight bearing protocol and he told me that my right knee was in better shape then my left and so my left needs more time to heal up.

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
Morning Brianne,
Has that epidural worn off or are you still enjoying the intimacies of a bedpan? ;)
I was looking at your posts. If your surgery was at 9 and you didn't get back to your room til 5, that's a LONG time. How long was your surgery or were you just partying most of the time?
 ;D ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »
Hi Brianne,
so now its official - 2 good knees!!!! well done to you and to Dr T!!

So I hope youre being treated well in hospital and not partying toooo much!!
xx
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

brianne

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
Cat,

The surgery was at 10:30 am and it took 3.5 hours.  I was in recovery a little after 2pm.  They kept me there for about two hours.  I made it to my room by about 4:30 or shortly after.  No partying for me this time.  But I was pretty wasted in the recovery room and saying some funny things.  I leave the MIOSH in one hour.

Brianne

Tanya,

Haha, its no partying for me.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 04:20:27 PM »
Plenty of time for partying when you get home - sure you will be dancing rings around everyone you know in a few weeks time!!

So glad to hear youre heading home, bit of pampering for a few days, telling your body you do love it really but bad knees need to be disciplined - and then the real road to recovery begins - all roads prior to this were just detours - this one takes you to your destination!!!

whooo hooo!!!

take care of you over the weekend, i hope you are pain free and comfy.
xx
tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »
hey chicka,

i am glad that surgery went well and you are on your way home or home. just think in a couple of months you well be able to do what ever you want to and your knees will have to listen. i think we should build that statue of Dr. T.  talk to you soon

margaret
"ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" ~SPAMALOT

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 06:15:02 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Must be disappointing about not being able to weight bear yet, but that will come with time. You are right, not long till my OS appointment. It's 1 week and 4 days. I see my sports physician on Monday for a debrief before I see my OS.

No partying for you this weekend. I'm certainly not doing any partying this weekend after I dislocated my kneecap in bed on Thursday night. Still very sore. I'm going to try and go to the gym tomorrow.

Let's hope this is the last of your operations and you have a speedy recovery !!!  ;)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

brianne

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 04:27:13 PM »
Day Two:

OUCH!  This one has been so much more painful than my other surgeries.  With my right op in december I was able to control pain with just ipufren by the second day.  This time I am taking two darvocets every 4 hours and it is not even touching the pain.  It hurts to even move an inch.  My entire leg is so swollen this time, its much more swollen then it has ever been.  This just goes to show that it really does vary from leg to leg.  I am glad that I had my right knee first if the left was going to be so painful, because I would have tried to talk myself out of it for sure if it had been the left first.

Otherwise I am just laying around for now.  I am at my mom's until Monday.  Then I will be on my own.

Brianne

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
  • "laugh til you cry, cry til you laugh..."
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »
Hi Brianne,
Take it easy and let your Mom take care of you as long as possible.  Conrats on making it through the surgery despite all the obstacles.
Happy Healing-
Carol

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 09:06:28 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Sorry to hear you're in a lot of pain.

Take it easy and let your Mum really look after you all.

All the best for a speedy recovery !  ;)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

brianne

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »
Day 3:

I think its the rule whenever I have a left TTT done that it has to be snowy and super cold.  The high here today is 4 degrees.  My first left TTT was done on a Thursday and we had a major blizzard and cold front that first weekend.  Oh well, not like I am going much of anywhere.  It has been a very bad winter here and I have spent most of it recovering from knee surgery.  I guess its better to do it in the winter then in the summer when I would really want to be active.

So I slept well last night, but sleeping has never been an issue for me.  I still have a lot of numbness in my lower leg.  I am not sure if that is from the swelling or left over from the spinal/femoral nerve block.  Every now and then that area starts to feel warm and it also gets itchy and tingles.  I hope that means the nerves are waking up.  The pain is still pretty bad.  I find that most of the pain is felt in the MPFL recon area, I really do not even notice the TTT site pain all that much.  This is interesting because when I had the solo TTT's they were plenty painful. 

I have my first PT session tomorrow.  I am really not doing that much in the first few weeks.  I cannot do a SLR for 6 weeks as my OS wants the osteotomy site to heal and a SLR puts stress on the patellar tendon which will put stress on the osteotomy site.  So the first 6 weeks are mostly ROM, a few gentle quad exercises, and that is about it.  However, I am no where near done with the rehab on my right knee and so it will continue in a modified format while my left knee heals.

My first PO appointment will be Feb 18th.  All my PO appointments will be done with my local OS.  He will expect 90 ROM when I see him.  That has never been a problem, so I am not worried at all about that.

So, thats all for now.

Oh yeah, and I have decided that when I am all healed from these knee surgeries I am going to get another dog.  I have a 1 year old Cairn Terrier named Benny and I think he would be happier with a playmate.  I want a female West Highland White Terrier.  But, I cannot worry about a new puppy until after I am back on my feet.  But it gives me something to look forward to!

Brianne

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 05:47:36 PM »
Brianne, I am glad you are healing okay.  It sounds like you are not in too much pain now.  That is great that you can get a full night's sleep.  I am almost 5 weeks PO and still can't seem to get a full night's sleep. 

Good luck with PT tomorrow. 

The goal of getting a new puppy sounds great!!!  That would be so fun.  Just don't get a jack russell if you live in an apartment!  Our's has been going crazy since it has been cold outside so he has been caged up a lot.  I can't exactly jump off the couch to discipline him when he is barking at the tv or his sister (other dog).   Anyway, good luck with everything. 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

support