Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 120728 times)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »
Hi Brianne,
whats this???? the 'my knees do not dislocate' dance????. Ive forgotten the steps to that one :) Perhaps you could film it and put it on YouTube for us all in a few months time? Is this a sign you will be playing out the Riverdance outcome?????

I can only imagine that PT is gonna be mega awkward for you for a while but you know at least you wont compensate cos both sides need the work so thats a big plus - sometimes I think my left leg just takes over and my brain forgets Ive a right let at all - perhaps I should wear a marble in my left shoe to stop me walking on it!!!

Im still struggling away with the PT, I guess the years of disuse take a long time to get over. My biggest problem now is getting my brain to talk to my leg, when that eventually comes round walking should be much easier.
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2008, 02:37:18 PM »
Hi Tanya!  That is crazy that you have to hold up your "good" leg to work your "bad leg". OUCH.  Well......that one leg will get stronger helping the new one heal for sure. Your arms are going to be SO strong...at least thats a bonus!  :-)  The one thing I can say about where you are in therapy.....at least they cant ignore you when you need so much help!  I always want the full attention of my PT and it is not always possible. 

I cant wait to get to do the total gym. My PT yesterday said...normally she would test the leg on the TG at the first appt but since I cant do anything....we just talked about the plan of care after I did my few exercises.  I have a total gym at home...whenever I get cleared I plan to have my husband bring it downstairs so I can start getting strong.  Funny.....I had thought that I could continue to work my good right leg after surgery....but...like you..I have no control of my bad leg so it just gets in the way. ha ha.....

Keep up the good work. 
Laura
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2008, 10:06:26 PM »
I get 100% attention while at PT.  I love it!  At my old place I was given exercises and sent off to do them and he would check on me once in a while.  At my new place, I have the PT or the assistant always with me unless I am on the bike or on the water treadmill or something like that.  So I have plenty of opportunities to complain about anything!  It all moves so fast.  I don't ever have an opportunity to just sit and wait.  I am always busy.  Brianne, I hope you are doing well today!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

brianne

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2008, 01:08:43 AM »
Tanya,

I am not sure how the "my knees don't dislocate anymore dance" goes.  I guess I will make it up on the spot.  hehe!

I agree that its nice to have a PT with 100% attention.  I think its important, not only for proper form, but also for encouragement because some of that stuff really hurts!

So I went back to work today for the first time since my surgery.  I had 95 e-mails to sort through.  It took like 25 minutes for all those e-mails to download.  I am very sore from going into work, but its nice to start working again. 

My nerves are refiring in over time today.  I am guessing thats still a good thing, but man does it hurt.  I got no sleep last night because of the nerve pain.  I am so tired today! 

I have PT tomorrow and if I did not over do it today then I will go back into work for a bit tomorrow.

Brianne

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2008, 08:39:34 AM »
Hi Brianne,

That's great you made it back to work today.

I am still trying to get my head around my upcoming surgery. It all seems soooo scary right now.

Last night I saw my sports physician and got really scared after what he said. I totally freaked out last night and went into a spin. I spoke to my psychologist today and said to not worry about it too much. I am going back to see my OS on the 12th of March to go through the surgery again so I understand what it all means. My knee surgeon will be furious that my sports physician has rattled me.

Today I got a call from my Orthotist rooms to say they have the referral from my OS. So, hopefully it won't be too long before I can get the new knee braces. I only saw my OS on Wednesday so that's pretty speedy that he's already done my referral.

Chat soon.  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2008, 09:19:05 AM »
Brianne,
you ARE Superwoman. Back to work already!!! Most of us cant even deal with one surgery without talking months and months off work and here you are, 4th TTT, and back already!!! I certainly hope your place of work appreciates your committment!!!

You so need a good physio - I generally like when they have a slight Nazi side to them too to push you hard. My current PT is a little lady and she is like steel wrapped in velvet, very polite, nice disposition, and then she practically flays you to get you doing stuff :) But she never pushes so hard thsat you think youre doing damage, she accepts limits but she pushes you up to the edge of the limit. She is no longer too interested in me cos she thinks now that Im just gonna stabilise and all will be well in the world.

Its good about your nerves, but yes, its sore. But it shouldnt last too long.

Kirsty - great to hear about the 12th march OS visit - give you a chance to have your mind put at ease by having questions answered.

Im having a sore day, I somehow grated something inside my knee yesterday (I was actually poking around with my finger seeing if anywhere was tender - typical, if i have a sore spot i just gotta keep pressing on it!!!), so Ive a small flare up, not affecting physio exercises though.

All prayers and good vibes to be directed at my brain to not need so much stimulus to fire the quads please :)
xx
tanya

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
  • suffering with my knee for 8 years. i'm only 20!!!
    • RoboLove Clothing
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2008, 01:17:57 PM »
Wow Brianne you're a trooper. I wish i could go to work, i'm going crazy here!!
1995 - first trip to the doctor with 'growing pains'
1998 - xrays show left patella is out of place
1999 - first dislocation
1999-2006 - Physio therapy every week
Jan2007 - Traumatic dislocation
feb 2007 - OS suggests surgery
Jan 2008 - date for surgery 30th jan

brianne

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2008, 10:28:44 PM »
The word for the day is OUCH.  I went into work for a few hours today to continue to play catch-up.  I also had PT today.  This morning my tibia was a little achy but not bad.  By PT it was a little more achy and so my PT and I took it easy on my left knee today.  By about 4pm I was having trouble putting much weight on my leg.  Now its 5:30pm and I cannot put any weight on my leg and my tibia feels like it is on fire and is throbbing so hard.  OUCH.  It even hurts to flex my foot forward.  The area that hurts on my shin is very swollen.  Hmmm  I have no clue what is causing this.  I plan on taking it easy this whole weekend...movies, couch, and lots of ice.  I do have to go into work for a few hours tomorrow, but otherwise...I am doing nothing all weekend.

Brianne

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2008, 11:33:58 PM »
OUCH.  so scary when new pain shows up. I was just telling my PT today how hard it is to judge bad pain vs good pain.  ALL pain scares me right now.......I hope the weekend of movies helps.  I go back to work Monday too....I will be on board with the post work complaints Im sure.

Hope you feel better!!
Laura
LR 11/2006

brianne

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2008, 03:07:42 AM »
Laura,

It is hard to judge good pain versus bad pain.  I am bad at this.  In my first two rehabs from TTT's I tore my hammys because I pushed too hard for ROM and my hammys were too tight so they tore.  I thought it was good pain. 

This pain in my shin is really intense.  I am hoping its just the combo of being back at work and needing to slow it down some.  I'll take it easy all weekend and see how I feel on Monday.  I do not see my PT again until Wednesday, but I will call my OS's office if it still hurts this bad on Monday.

Brianne

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2008, 03:57:17 AM »
Brianne, you are the pro, but my OS warned me that after my Fulkerson TTT that my shin would feel like someone hit me hard in the shin with a baseball bat....not sure if that helps :)   I am sorry you are feeling it though!!  Hopefully it will go away soon.  I have started to feel a little pain in my shin today, but I am sure it is just a fluke...no big deal.  The pain my knee cap is the worst!!  I just want it to go away already...I am at almost 7 weeks PO and was suppose to be off crutches about 3 weeks ago!!  UGH!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2008, 04:12:30 AM »
Yikes...you tore your own hamstrings???/ Man..you are tough. No way I could push through that.....  I didnt know I was a wimp until this surgery....but, guess I am!  :-)   Shin pain must be the worst.  Are you very swollen?  Ouch...Im sorry......hang in there!!! ice ice ice...
LR 11/2006

Offline sailchic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
Ok, so this is not a particularly helpful reply as my experience with extra shin pain hasn't worked out so well.... but this time around I had a huge amount of shin pain for the first two weeks post op.  I was popping pain pills like there was no tomorrow.  But I literally hit day like 13 or 14 post op and just turned a corner.  All of a sudden it moved from being really sharp  to more of a dull ache that might have periods of being bad.  Maybe it's just due to us having revisions rather than 1st go around TTT's?  I definetly didn't have that type of pain the first time around. 

I'd definetly bring it up at your post op appointment (not like you wouldn't anyway) but mine kind of blew me off saying "well yes, it's going to hurt" even when I knew it hurt differently than in the past.  You're the best expert on you :)

Now go rent a bunch of movies and relax!  :)

Liz
11/02 L LR, Medial Reefing,
9/05 L TTT, Medial Reefing
9/06 L unscrewed, LR repair
12/07 L TTT revision
12/08 L unscrewed
12/09 R TTT
5/10 R unscrewed

9/11 L MPFL & LPFL repair, VMO adv. -- "global tightening"

EDS Classical Type

brianne

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
Liz,

I had a little bit of shin pain and so I mentioned it at my PO appointment last Monday.  My OS did think that a lot of the pain had to do with this being a revision.  But now its getting so much worse.  It would not surprise me if it was still just from the fact that this is the second time my tibia has been cut.  We'll see what happens.  I plan on being lazy today and I am hoping that will help.  How is your recovery going?  How long do you have to use the bone growth stimulator?

Laura,

Yes, I tore my own hamstrings.  My PT said that she had never seen anything like that before.  I do push myself really hard...too hard sometimes!  My right hamstring was much worse than my left.  In fact I still have bouts of bruising and soreness from tearing it back in October 06.  I have been extra careful this second time around...making sure not to tear anything.  My PT would kill me if I did!

Farrah,

You will be off crutches soon.  Its slow in the beginning, but as you build up strength you will be able to use the crutches less and less.  I found it helps to push it a little bit to help with strength.  But don't push it too much or you will be hurting.  My right TTT revision and MPFL recon was on December 17th and I still get sharp pains every now and then.  Its normal to an extent.

Kirsty,

I walked around like a zombie for the first few days when I learned that I was not only needing one knee fixed, but a TTT revision and MPFL recon on both knees.  Its hard to grasp the concept of more major surgery when you have had so many already.  But, think of the outcome!  That is what has kept me going!

Tanya,

Thats right...I is SUPERWOMEN!  Hehe!  Now that I am back at work I am having so many people ask me what happened to my leg.  I started telling people that one of my co-workers pushed me off the roof because I would not give him a cookie!  HAHA.

My PT kicks my butt.  However, she also knows that sometimes I need her to be the one to tell me to stop.  I will just keep going until it hurts too much if no one everstops me.  My PT has been the same PT through all of these surgeries and she is wonderful.  It helps a lot.

Brianne
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 04:43:26 PM by brianne »

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »
Start telling people you had breast augmentation and that's why you are on crutches with a big brace on your leg!!!!! 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

support