Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 121905 times)

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #690 on: November 18, 2009, 02:03:07 AM »
HAPPY DAY!!!!

I saw my surgeon and my ankle is doing okay.  There are a few minor issues that are causing snapping like feelings, but the tendon is fine and everything will resolve itself with time.

I am boot free for the first time in 3 months.  I am so over joyed to be wearing 2 shoes.  Its the best feeling ever.

YAY!

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #691 on: November 18, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
Yes!!! Happy Day indeed!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #692 on: November 18, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Thats fantastic news that you have been given the all clear and your ankle more and less back to normal so just shows that surgery can help people out after hearing such negative stories about surgery. Its nice for you to be boot free again and was glad to take off my bandage today and have a shower for the 1st time since Monday morning. My skin itched under the bandage so felt great to remove it at lunch time today.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #693 on: November 19, 2009, 03:36:55 AM »
Nick,

I am so glad they found your problem and fixed it.  I think that surgery can provide great results.  My knees were completely fixed because of the surgeries Dr Teitge did for my knees.  My ankle surgery seems to be well on the way to success, but there is still a long road ahead of me.  At least for me, my skepticism of surgery comes when people jump into a surgery uniformed and without finding the most qualified surgeon.  I think many of us know what can happen with a poorly decided upon surgery.  A surgery performed by the right surgeon and for the right reason can yield wonderful results.

I am just realizing today how much work I have ahead of me.  My leg is so atrophied...even my quads, hamstrings, hips, and glutes.  Of course my lower leg muscles are shot.  I hit the gym an hour after getting home yesterday.  I was at the gym today as well.  My OS says I can rehab on my own.  I think I am certainly driven enough for it.  My trouble will be that I can push myself too much.  My OS gave me my list of don'ts and otherwise set me free to get stronger.

So this is what I did today:
1.) walked for 15 minutes on the treadmill at 2.8 MPH
2.) leg presses with both legs, and then indivdually
3.) balancing on my right leg
4.) stepping up a six in step
5.) dips from a four inch step
6.) stretching and ROM

I see improvement from yesterday to today.  I am encouraged.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #694 on: November 19, 2009, 11:30:26 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Glad to hear that your ankle is improving day by day and its important to be operated on by one of the top OS's in our region. I dont think Mr Green did my scope it was another OS but he was watching what he was doing in the theate and may have done some of the surgery himself and can ask him about it on the 29th December when I see him again.

Its good you already keeping on top of your PT and pushing yourself well done.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #695 on: November 19, 2009, 05:49:58 PM »
Brianne, way to go on starting the rehab. You are the Queen of overdoing it so just try and remember to keep that balance and not overdo it.

I think once I'm cleared to walk, I will do formal pt for as long as it takes for me to be comfortable walking, but then I will also rehab on my own too. I'm focused enough and regimented enough and I think with just direction from my doctor, I'll be fine too.

Good luck with the rehab and definitely keep us posted.
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #696 on: November 24, 2009, 08:27:11 PM »
Its been one week without the boot.  I am thrilled to be wearing two shoes once again.  There are definate improvements in the past week, but there are also new frustrations...so I guess they kind of cancel each other out in a way.

The improvements are in overall muscle.  I can see that my quads and calf muscles are beginning to come back.  Still a long way to go, but showing signs of improvement.

The new frustrations are stiffness and pain in my foot.  My ankle gets insanely stiff if I do not move it.  The stiffness is bad enough that i set my alarm and wake up at 2am so I can get to walk around and move my ankle around.  It helps if I do that.  The other frustration is that my foot muscles get insanely sore and painful if I walk too much.  It hurts to push off when I walk in both my toes and my arch.  My OS has assured me that this is just because those muscles have gotten a free ride for 3.5 months and now they have to do their share of the work.  Its getting better, slowly, but its improving.  If I wear fairly stiff soled shoes then it helps a lot.

I have changed my routine at the gym somewhat.  Walking is still so painful if I do more than 1/2 mile.  So I am focusing on upper body, doing the leg press, pilates twice a week and swimming 5 days a week.  I love being in the pool because I can finally get a decent cardio workout without worrying about the tendon being cranky.  After I swim a mile I walk back and forth quite a bit.  I do just regular walking, I walk on my toes, and I do side steps.  I stretch constantly as the ankle loses all ROM if its not move every minute of the day.

I am asking Santa for a new peroneal tendon for Christmas.  No seriously, things are going well, just slowly.  And we all know that I am not exactly the best at being paitent with my body.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #697 on: November 25, 2009, 10:50:48 PM »
H Brianne,

Must be nice to be walking once again with 2 shoes on rather then having to wear that robocop boot which must be annoying to wear for so many weeks. Its good your quads are starting to improve and if it helps your ankle getting up at 2am then carry on doing it and hope the foot muscles improve in time. My quad muscles are sore and swollen from my scope and it hurts when I am doing PT so should improve over the next week or two. Good you are keeping physically active by going swimming, pilates and the gym rather then being stuck at home bored.

Thanks for messages on facebook when I could not sleep because of my knee pain, the last 2 nights have been better but knee still painful and had to take pain meds at 3am and did not really get rid of the pain so kept on waking up alot. Noticed I have got bruising behind the knee while I was doing some PT, I suppose its normal after a scope bruising behind the knee.

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #698 on: November 30, 2009, 03:38:24 AM »
GREAT DAY!  I feel closer to normal today then I have at any day along this 4 month journey.  Its hard to believe that I injured my ankle four months ago.  The whole experience just seems so surreal, but I am just relieved that I can finally feel like I see an end to all the pain and frustration.

I went to the gym today and walked one mile on the treadmill at 3.5 miles per hour.  I did ab work (I nearly had a six pack before the injury...not so much any more).  I was able to do most of the ab work although my balance is horrible and I was falling on my face multiple times...but WHO CARES...I was able to do it!!!!   ;D   ;D   ;D  I then went to the pool and swam one mile in 28 minutes.  I do not know what good times are with swimming, but I was out of breath after that.  My ankle feels great and my foot has minimal pain today.

Actually the whole weekend has felt pretty good.  I went black friday shopping with no problems.  Did not buy much, but I am broke.  My friend Sharon and I have gone every year for 7 years and its a tradition.  Then I played Wii Bowling at my Church and was actually able to get into it.  I have never played a Wii before...but that was fun!

I am excited that my family (dad, two aunts, three cousins, plus husbands and children) is going on vacation to Key West for Christmas!  I hope to be able to do a lot when I am there (granted I will still be recovering somewhat).  No surfing while I am there! :)  I am taking my mountain bike and hope to get lots of use out of it.  Hey, I need to get that six pack back before I go on vacation! lol

I know there are still a lot of hard days ahead and that I am still early in my recovery.  But, I needed a day like today to help boost my spirits and make me feel like all of this will end some day soon.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #699 on: November 30, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Great to hear you are feeling a lot better after your ankle surgery and are able to do stuff at the gym again and go swimming. Good you have a holiday to look forward to with your family its nice to be able to meet up in one place.

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #700 on: December 02, 2009, 02:51:34 AM »
Really happy to read your posts on how far you have come that is really awesome that everything is working at this well

keep up the good work

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #701 on: December 11, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »
I am a bad girl.   ;D  I am the Queen of Overdoing it and the Queen is back in full swing.  ;D

The first two weeks without the boot were so frustrating.  I had constant pain in my foot and toes specifically.  Walking was the most painful thing ever.  Honestly, I was so frustrated that I wanted to give up on the whole thing.  I worked extra hard those two weeks doing Yoga, swimming, and walking in the pool.  I have been boot free for almost 4 weeks and the progress the second two weeks has been incredible.  There is almost no pain and I see improvement everyday.  I can rise up onto my toes again. (This is a big thing for anyone who has ever had a boot or cast on for an extended period of time.)  The only thing that is still slow in coming back in ROM, but its progressing.

So, to the overdoing it part.  Yesterday I did 35 minutes on the elliptical at the gym.  I also did an hour long Yoga/Pilates class.  Then, as if I had not already done too much...I lifted weights for a half hour.  Yes, I know its probably too much...but anyone that knows me at this point expects it from me.  My ankle is no more painful or swollen today, so all is well.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #702 on: December 12, 2009, 09:48:14 AM »
Hi Brianne,

There nothing wrong in over doing it as I would be the same if knee was not so swollen and painful and really missing the gym. If you enjoy going to the gym as I do and are not in too much pain then carry on doing it but stop if you are feeling too much pain.

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #703 on: January 05, 2010, 03:26:05 PM »
Well I am back from a great vacation to the Florida Keys.  I had a wonderful time and my ankle did just fine through everything.  I played a lot. :)  I did a ton of biking, but very hard core and rough biking...20-30 miles a day.  I played beach ball on the beach.  I went on an all day deep sea fishing trip.  I went to the batting cages and hit quite a few fast pitch baseballs.  Ankle did fine through all of it.  My ankle was a tiny bit sore after the fishing trip, but it felt fine the next day.

I see my OS on January 19th and I fully expect him to release me to do whatever I want.  I hope to be able to run in a few weeks.  My cross country skis are sitting in my guest bedroom just begging to be used.  I am going to learn how to snow board at the end of January!!!  So I am happy to say that my ankle has recovered wonderfully. 

The only thing that is still lacking is my muscle strength.  Its coming back a lot, but I was in the best shape of my life when the injury happened and so it will take a bit of time to get back to that point.  Its been 5 months since the injury.  I hope to be back to full speed in another few months.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #704 on: January 05, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »
Sounds like you had an awesome vacation! So jealous of you being where it was nice and warm. MD has been freezing cold and snow off and on for the last 3 weeks. We aren't the vacationing type, but this weather has even me considering a trip somewhere warm next year, LOL.

Glad the recovery is going so well. After your scare, it's great to see that it didn't affect your recovery at all. Enjoy being fixed!
Mar '07 - plica excision