Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 117059 times)

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #675 on: October 24, 2009, 04:53:33 AM »
Some pain today.  I have pretty sharp and substaintial pain in the outside of my foot.  There is very little to no pain in my ankle.  Whenever I flex my toes or specifically move my little toe I have extremely sharp pain in the outside of my foot about halfway between my toes and heels.  This came up out of nowhere today.  Hopefully it will settle down.  It could be because I am overdoing it, but it does not feel like that kind of pain.   I am taking it very easy this weekend.  Again, I have no pain in my ankle. 
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #676 on: October 24, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Sorry you getting pain in the foot and have to agree with you that you may be overdoing it just a little. Take it easy during the weekend and relax and chill out as you are going to do and your foot should become less sore.

Nick  :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #677 on: October 25, 2009, 10:04:35 PM »
Hey Brianne, I'm finally getting around to posting on other's people's threads. Sorry to hear you were having some pain yesterday, hopefully it is better today and taking it easy like you said you were planning to. It's so frustrating when new pains come up, but thankfully most of them are just residual or referred pain or the result of us altering our gait somehow and they clear up with time. I hope the same for your foot.

Otherwise, glad things are going better for you both with your physical/medical life and your personal life. Healing and recovery is definitely a lot easier when other things fall into place.

Well take care and best wishes.

I'm on the cryo-cuff with nothing but air under my knee and hating every minute of it :-(
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #678 on: October 26, 2009, 01:58:41 AM »
Crankerchick,

Glad to hear you are doing relatively well.  I would hate elevating the way you have to elevate.  If I were a paitient of Dr Sanders, I would give him crap about that.  I hope your flight to Atlanta goes relatively well and that you do not have too much pain.

I think my aircast boot is irratating my foot and ankle.  I have an aircast boot that I wore before surgery which is a size small.  I had to get a different one after surgery because the aircast boot was not big enough to accomodate the swelling and bandages.  So I also have a Donjoy MaxTrax which is a medium.  Well now that the swelling is 95% gone and I do not have any bandages, the Donjoy is way too big.  So I went back to wearing the Aircast and it seems that as soon as I went back to the aircast boot my pain got a lot worse.  I ended up wrapping my ankle in an ace today to 'bulk' it up and wore the Donjoy and the pain seems to have settled down a lot.  I have 23 more days wearing a boot so this could get frustrating.

This is the Aircast: http://www.aircast.com/index.asp/fuseaction/products.detail/cat/2/id/76

This is the Donjoy: http://www.donjoy.com/index.asp/fuseaction/products.detail/cat/6/id/164

Here is a picture for everyone's enjoyment.  My Westie, Sally, thinks that she is supposed to protect my ankle.  She lays next to my ankle all the time.  She might be the cutest dog ever... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3372598&l=e87289762a&id=513106360

Or at least Sally is one of the two cutest dogs ever.  This is my Cairn Terrier Benny.  I love Benny so much.  He is the best dog ever.  http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3283656&l=5bba747384&id=513106360

Having my dogs has helped me get through all of the emotions of the past month.  I do not know what I would do without them.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #679 on: October 29, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Looked at your links and look like a part of RoboCop the aircast boot you have to wear and those white dressed men in Star Wars with white masks.

Nick :) {2009} :)
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #680 on: October 31, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »
Nick,

Yeah, the Aircast one looks like robocop or something.  I got it wet last night so now its drying.

The pain in my foot is gone and I still do not have pain in my ankle.  Things feel really good for the most part.  I just cannot wait until I see my OS next so that I can get out of the boot altogether.  Monday is 6 weeks since surgery.  Its been a pretty radical 6 weeks with a lot of big changes in my life. 

I see my OS on November 17th, so just over two weeks away.  My college roommate lives near my OS's office and so I am going to go over the day before and then spend the day with her before my appointment.  I am excited about that because she and I were always very close and now that we are on separate sides of the state we hardly get to see each other.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #681 on: October 31, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »
Hi Brianne,

So you killed off your robocop Aircast lol and bet you gald you done it, 6 weeks its been already time seems to be flying by. You see your OS 1 day after my scope or on the same day if you go and see him on the 16th November.

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #682 on: November 07, 2009, 02:19:35 PM »
Nick,

The Robocop Aircast has come back to life.  It will never be killed off, once it dried it good again.

Just 9 more days until my post-op appointment.  I am so ready for this.  I babysit for a doctor from my Church and I told her last week that I was going to get a pedicure as soon as I did not have to wear this walking boot.  She is so sweet because she got me a gift certificate for a pedicure.  I am excited about it! My appointment is the 17th and I am going to call and get a pedicure on the 18th.

Ankle surgery is hard.  Honestly, I think that this surgery has been harder than my knee surgeries.  Just comparing where I was at 7 weeks post-op from my knee surgeries and where I am at 7 weeks post-op from my ankle surgery...I was much farther after my knee surgeries.  In comparison:

* By 7 weeks after all of my knee surgeries the swelling was virtually gone.  My ankle still gets incredibly swollen.  For my ankle it comes and goes, but swelling is still very common.
* I had more bruising intially with my knee surgeries, but the bruising has lasted longer with my ankle.
* By 7 weeks with all my knee surgeries I had full ROM.  I am not even allowed to fully move my ankle yet.  I can flex and point my toes.  My ankle stiffens up really fast, but it also gets moving pretty fast. 
* By 2 months after my knee surgeries I felt good, walking was no problem.  I will be 2 months from my ankle surgery in 2 weeks and I know I will be now where near that point.

Granted this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison because knees and ankles are different joints, the surgeries had different purposes, and they were done by different surgeons.  I honestly thought that my knee surgeries were as bad as I could experience and did not expect my ankle surgery to be so difficult.  By 2 months after my knee surgeries I felt pretty good and felt like I was nearing the end of the road for the rehab.  At 2 months post-op from my ankle surgery I will feel like I am really only just beginning.

My OS does not require Physical Therapy.  He likes to leave it up to the paitent and the particular surgery.  I always did PT after my knee surgeries and so the idea of mot doing PT after my ankle surgery seems foreign to me.  I trust that my OS knows what he is talking about.  I will see what he thinks when I see him on the 17th.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #683 on: November 10, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Its now only a week till your post up and fallen a day after my scope on my right knee Monday 16th November and can look forward to your pedicure the same week, which you deserve after what you been through.

Its sounds like hard work getting your ankle back to normal with all the pain youhave been getting after your surgery. The swelling may take some time to go down along with the bruising but should improve in time.

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #684 on: November 11, 2009, 11:55:41 PM »
Something interesting I noticed today.  My femurs are twisted something like 35 degrees.  I have never been and never will be derotated, but in wearing the walking boot I have noticed just how obvious the rotation can be.  When I point my toes forward and then bend my knee, my knee points inward about 0-40 degrees.  To get my knee to point straight when I bend it I have to point my toes out about 30-40 degrees.  Having the boot on makes it really obvious...more so than its ever been.

Anyhow, just something interesting I noticed today.  It is amazing how everything is connected in the body.  What happens in my ankles in not separate from my knees.

Less than a week until I see my OS...very excited.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #685 on: November 12, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Good its now less then a week till you see your OS again and bet it cant come soon enough a day after my knee surgery. The body is amazing and how it works and lucky we have doctors that can fix us up when things go wrong with our bodies.

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #686 on: November 15, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »
Two more days until I see my OS.  I have to say that I am freaing out about this appointment.  If anyone is a believer in prayer, I would appreciate them at this time.

Many of you remember I posted about something happening to me 4 days post-op.  Thhe pain was greatly increased for about 1-2 weeks after that.  What happened on that night was that I was physically assulted by a member of my immediate family.  This person knocked me over and was wrestling me on the floor.  I got hit, kicked, and bit a few times.  My OS and I thought that everything was okay, but in the past two weeks the pain has been increasing and the snapping is back in my tendon.  In talking to my OS on the phone he said it sounds like there is a possibility that the tendon got retorn when I was attacked.

If it is true that my tendon is retorn then I would have to have the surgery repeated to repair the tendon again.  I am trying not to worry about it too much until I know what is going on for sure.  Whatever it is, its beyond my control and I just have to accept whatever that means.

Please pray that my tendon is okay and that surgery does not need to be repeated.  I have had more than my share of surgery and given the circumstances of this...it would just be such a blow for my original ankle surgery to have failed because someone who knew better came over to my house and attacked me.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #687 on: November 15, 2009, 07:48:25 PM »
Wow Brianne, I'm really sorry to hear that. I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers. Best wishes for good news at your visit to the OS. You are right, it would suck to have something out of your control cause your surgery to fail, but you are right, you can't think about that, just have to be positive. You will endure through whatever comes--you've got the spirit!

I hope you were able to file charges against the family member! You are better than me, because I probably would have set my older brother on them. Actually I probably wouldn't have even had to sick him on the person, he would take the initiative himself, LOL.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline ORNURSE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #688 on: November 16, 2009, 09:20:49 AM »
Brianne,
I am so sorry you had to go through that.  My prayers are with you.
Good luck at the OS.  I wasn't going to come back on here until after my surgery to post, just trying to keep my nerves down but I will come back and check on you after your os visit on Tuesday.

Kim
Oct 2005 Left knee arthroscopy/LR
Nove 19, 2009 Left knee arthroscopy-LR and partial lateral meniscectomy.  TTT-Fulkerson

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #689 on: November 16, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »
Latise,

Thanks for the message of support.  I sent you a PM with more details.  I hope everything is going well for you in your recovery.

Kim,

Good luck with your surgery.

I feel pretty good about everything today.  I can tell that there is something going on in my ankle, just what I do not know.  I feel at peace that I can handle whatever it is.  I certainly pray that I do not need more surgery, but if it does happen it won't be the end of the world.  I will get through it just like I have gotten through all my other surgeries.

Its been a hard fall, a lot of learning, a lot of tears, and a lot of frustration.  But, its been a good growing process and I feel that I will be a better and stronger person because of all of this.

As for the family member that was involved...thats the real sad part here.  I miss that person, but I am glad to have some peace and quiet as they are not allowed to contact me.  Its a really hard situation all the way around.  Even though I am not mentioning who that person is in my family...please pray for them.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

support