Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 121969 times)

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #660 on: October 14, 2009, 01:55:36 AM »
Congrats , how is the pain going you didnt mention any so I hope it is all gone

good luck

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #661 on: October 14, 2009, 06:06:02 PM »
The tendon pain is pretty much gone.  They did have to really work and dig to get the stitches out yesterday.  The incision is not happy about that and has been bleeding on and off today. (Nothing major, just a tiny bit here and there.)  Overall the incision looks like crap and will not heal to be a nice looking incision.  Its not red and there is no discharge, so I know its okay from infection and such, but its just pulled apart in a few places where the stiches did not want to come out.  My OS said to keep it covered until it looks a little better healed.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #662 on: October 14, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »
Yikes stiches removal. I was thinking about this yesterday. My local GP says he can take them out, so that was a relief (over finding a ortho to do it, especially after having gotten an opinion from them and then having surgery with someone different). I'm getting a little worried now about letting my GP do it though. Maybe I need an ortho? In the back of my mind, I haven't ruled out flying back out to TX to have my OS remove them.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #663 on: October 14, 2009, 08:32:07 PM »
Most OS's seem to use dissolvable stitches.  My OS used regular stitches that my skin so nicely grew around.

Any decent OS should realize that the decision to have surgery done by one doc over another is nothing more than doing what is best for you.  My local OS was amazingly helpful when I had surgery by Dr Teitge.  Whatever the case, stitches are not hard to remove, sometimes a bit painful, but not hard.  My opinion would be to save the plane ticket and get a local OS or your GP to take them out.  (important to note: all of my knee surgery stitches were removed by a nurse.)
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #664 on: October 14, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »
Cool, thanks for the vote of confidence. I've never actually had stitches before in my life, so I know its just another "fear of the unknown" getting to me. I really would like to save the $$$ on the plane ticket, that is for sure. My OS said I would need to have the sutures removed at 4 weeks and that I could use a local doc. So I asked my GP at my pre-op about a referral to someone I hadn't seen already, and he said he could take them out no problem. I don't know why I would think I need an OS to do it; I guess I'm just afraid of it hurting, LOL and there is some comfort in feeling like a surgeon is doing it. Haha, all that and I probably would go to an OS and his nurse would remove them (and probably remove them with less pain too)!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #665 on: October 14, 2009, 11:01:39 PM »
Stitch removal is pretty painless for the most part.  Even yesterday, compared to all the other pain my ankle has been through...the stitches were minor.  And yes, I have found that in general a nurse does a better job of removing stitches.  With one of my post-ops there was a blizzard the morning of my appointment.  I expected my OS's office to be closed, but it was not.  It was just open to see a minimum number of paitents such as post-op people.  It was just my OS and one nurse in the office that day and so he removed the stitches that time...and it hurt like no other.  He even said, I guess this is something my nurses are better at than me. lol

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #666 on: October 15, 2009, 07:16:48 PM »
Hi Branne,

It most feel better once the stitches have been removed and would have thought it would be the nurses job to remove them rather then your OS when she was also in his office.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #667 on: October 16, 2009, 05:19:16 AM »
I feel on top of the world tonight.  I went to Yoga for the first time since July.  Granted I wore my lovely boot and I had to make some creative modifications...but I did the entire class. My instructor is so sweet and she modified a lot of it for the class tonight so that I could do it easier.  At the end of the class everyone in the class clapped because they were impressed that I did so well.  And now a few hours later I am happy to report that the ankle feels fabulous. 

I lifted upper body last night and did yoga tonight.  Small steps but it feels wonderful to be back into working out.  For those of you who are newer, I live to workout.  Not doing anything for 2.5 months was tourture.  I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

And yes, I am the Queen of Overdoing It. 

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #668 on: October 16, 2009, 11:57:03 AM »
great post glad things are improving so nicely for you.

keep up the good work

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #669 on: October 17, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Pleased things are looking up for you and can do things again that you enjoy such as yoga, its great the your ankle is feeling alot better now. I also known to overdo it at the gym but cant help the way I am.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #670 on: October 18, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
I own two small terriers, a Cairn and a Westie.  They are such trouble makers and they have been especially bored the past two months.   Well today my Cairn dug his way out of the yard and my Westie came to let me know that he got out of the yard.  I live on a busy road so absolute panic set in and I took off to go find him.  I put treats in my pocket and took his favorite toy.  I ran down the road screaming his name.  Yes, running was a bad idea, but adreneline kicked in and all that. Luckily when I went into my neighbors yard he came running up to me.  I grabbed him and walked home quite shaken up, but relieved that he was okay. 

I do not intend to do any more running for quite some time. 
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #671 on: October 19, 2009, 03:17:48 AM »
hope your ankle is okay after the running.

keep up the good work on your recovery, thanks for the tips for kate

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #672 on: October 20, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
The Queen of Overdoing it is in FULL SWING!  My ankle feels so wonderful, it really does not hurt at all and the swelling is all gone.  I have to keep reminding myself that I had surgery one month ago.  The pain from this surgery was far more intense in the beginning that my knee surgeries were, and I had a set back four days after surgery, but ever since two weeks after surgery, everything has felt magnificent.  I am sure there are painful days ahead as I start to work on more ROM (I am only doing dorsi and plantar flexion right now...not inversion or eversion yet) and as I learn to walk without a boot.  But for now, everything feels fantastic.

This is what I did yesterday:
* My neighborhood is a .5 mile loop.  I walked my dogs the around the neighborhood three times yesterday. (not all at once...but once in the morning, once at noon, and once before dinner)
* I went to the gym and lifted upper body and did some light ab work
* I walked a half mile around the track.

I feel great.  Everything looks good, no swelling and just the tiniest bit of bruising at the bottom of my ankle.  I ran into my local OS again and he is very impressed on how things are going. (although he already knew things were going well because I am friends with one of his daughters.)  I am going to do Yoga tonight at the gym.

I see my OS on November 17th.  Thats when I ditch the boot and real fun begins. :)

SCARY THING HAPPENED LAST NIGHT!  There was a domestic dispute a half mile from my house and someone ended up getting shot and killed.  Scary.  Stupid.  I guess the reality is that the world is a dangerous place. 

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #673 on: October 20, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Its good that you are able to do more activities again a month after your ankle surgery and there is nothing wrong in keeping active as it can only do good excercise rather then doing nothing which can slow down the recovery, best to keep active as you are doing.

Be nice when you see your OS next month and no longer have to keep wearing your annoying boot. I can imagine it was scary when someone in your neighbourhood gets shot and killed.

I think the law in the states should be changed and cant own your own gun without a licence. In the UK you need a licence to own a gun, even a stun gun and mace spray is illegal, which are all under the firearms act.

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #674 on: October 22, 2009, 01:15:35 PM »
Great News on the ankle you sound on the mend happy to hear

keep up the good work. we are slow but steady with kate

support