Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 120741 times)

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2008, 12:02:14 AM »
Hey Brianne,
The hot tub sounds wonderful. We've been having alot of snowy, cloudy, cold days here-( but probably not as much as you.) And a soak til the skin is pruney sounds very therapuetic.

Hope the nerve pain resolves soon. Even if the pain is a "good sign" doesn't mean it's fun in the wee hours of hte night. I'm glad I've never had that particular pleasure.

Take care, "honey"
 ;D ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

brianne

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2008, 02:34:29 AM »
Cat..."Honey",

yes, I will be visiting a hot tub real soon. :)  I cannot wait!

Yes, its not really helping at 3am that the painful nerve firing is normal.  But, I agree with my OS...if I walk out of all of this with this as my only side effect, then I am doing pretty good.

Brianne

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2008, 03:06:37 AM »
Brianne, I hope you are doing well tonight.  Your posts have seemed a little more upbeat even though you are still in pain.  Sorry to hear that!  I hope it goes away.  I am sure you are excited that your OS apt went so well!!  I hope you continue to recover well and the nerve pain goes away.  I agree about shaving over the numb parts!!  It is so weird!  I have numbness on the outside of my knee all along the the long incision.  I don't know if this is related, but my PT taught me to rub my scars today.  Not sure why, maybe someone can inform me on that.  It felt really weird doing it.  Anyway I hope you are doing well mentally and physically!! 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2008, 06:05:35 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Glad to hear that your local OS appointment went so well. That's great news. Do hope the pain settles down soon.

It's only 1 day till my OS appointment. Can't wait to hear what he has to say. I'll keep you posted.  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2008, 10:17:48 AM »
Hi Brianne - well well well, perhaps my complaint got sent to the 'upbeat' dept of affairs cos you certainly sound much better!!!! i will however write another one about the pain!!
sounds like you are doin great!!! when  are we gonna play the 'wheres my quads' game????
i had numb bits for years after my TTT - literally years. then one day i realised i wasnt numb anymore - surface nerves do knit back over time.

so I had the dreaded PT appointment yesterday. I didnt show much of a difference on the isokinetic test. but she was well happy with my level of control on the squats and lunges. then she just took the wind out of my sails completely by telling me that she figured now that im just on my way back to a good knee and that she reckons we will say goodbyee to each other this summer but that ive another 6 months very hard work, less hard work for a year and then exercises 3 times a week for life. i was like 'huh???' - she said when she first saw me she thought there was no hope, then she realised that i hadnt getting proper treatment and the last physio place hadnt shown me how to do the exercises properly and she'd never seen a leg so atrophied. now she says she has seen loads of legs as mine is today and they have all come back good with some work. most of my questions were dismissed (not in a bad way) with 'yeah thatll just come back in time' and the big thing i was wondering about why it felt easier to do a leg extension with resistance as opposed to with no resistance she said that at the moment i still need more stimulus to fire the quads on the right knee but that ive gotta start doing extensions with no weights and the neuromuscular connections will just rebuild themselves.
the whole thing felt like she was just going 'ok youre done....next...'
she wants me to see the OS in June for a review and other than that said that I dont need to pay her 100 euro every 4-6 weeks cos I have the techniques right on all the exercises so she isnt teaching me anything anymore and i really only need to come in if there is something specific i cant do or develop pain with or something.

i should be delighted! but i feel a bit deflated, i always feel like they discharge you before youre fully better!!!

so thats my news.
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

brianne

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2008, 02:46:17 AM »
Tanya,

I agree that they always discharge from physio too soon.  This time my OS and my PT and I all agree that I am going to stay in PT for a while to get both of my knees back to full strength.  My right knee, although doing amazing, is definately super weak.  I have also decided to meet with my mom's friend who is a personal trainer for a few sessions.  She is willing to give me a good rate.

I have come to realize that i will probably have to always work on keeping my knees strong.  I guess thats a small price to pay for good knees.

Good day today.  Pain was the least today that it has been in a long time.  My friend came over and we went to Subway and then chatted about shoes and purses.  those two topics always make me happy. :)

Kirsty,

Good luck tomorrow at your appointment!

Farrah,

Yes, shaving the numb areas is super weird.  Rubbing and massaging the scar is supposed to help break up scar tissue around the scar.  If you do not break up the scar tissue then it will be super tight and hard.

Brianne

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2008, 02:52:28 AM »
Brianne, I am happy that your pain is lower today!!  Hopefully it will just get better from here.  That's great that you can keep working on both knees in therapy at the same time.  I imagine sometimes it is difficult to work the better leg with the other being new from surgery.  Are you allowed FWB on your left??  I don't remember.  Anyway, I will keep massaging my scars. 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

brianne

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2008, 03:04:50 AM »
Farrah,

Yes, I hope the pain stays down.  It would be nice.  I was told WBAT at the hospital.  However, after my OS appointment he said he wanted me to use the crutches at least PWB until I see him again on March 12th.  So...I am not ready to FWB yet anyway, so I will keep using the crutches for a while.  Its kind of confusing having two separate OS's...but I trust them both and so I am not worried.

Brianne

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2008, 03:29:25 AM »
You are a pro at this!  You know who to take seriously or how to choose a happy medium between two requests.  I guess take the more conservative requests seriously.  Better safe than sorry :)  I hope you are feeling better about your friend!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2008, 07:02:17 AM »
Hi Brianne,

I just thought I'd let you know how I got on with my OS today.

He was in a good mood and very understanding about how I'm feeling frustrated with no progress. My knee surgeon has suggested I have a trocheaplasty, which is a deepening of the groove of my patella. He said it should address both my medial instability and lateral instability issues. As this was exacerbated  by my car accident he has to write to the insurance company to get approval. That will probably take a couple of weeks. Then, I can go ahead and book the surgery. I'm hoping I can have the surgery in April sometime after I've had a two week holiday in Japan.

My knee surgeon is also writing a referral for a more supportive knee brace. He is going to write a referral to my orthotist to get a hinged brace. Today I spoke with my orthotist and am going to get a Breg brace, probably a winter weight and a summer weight one.

Keep up the good work in rehab !!!  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2008, 09:23:16 AM »
Ah Brianne, youre pain is finally abating to some degree - is it my prayers or my letters of complaint i wonder????? hmmmmmm...better keep both up!!!
I think you are on your way now - this thread is going to turn into positive progress reports only!

I agree with the small price to pay for good knees scenario - exercises for life, but only 3 times a week - shucks thats nothing for the likes of us!!!

As for me - Im having a good knee day so Im going to wallow in it and enjoy!

Kirsty - YIPPEE!!!!!! lets use this thread to all wave goodbye to our instability!!! byyyeeeee....

Farah - how are you doing since your injury?
xx
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »
Tanya, I am doing well now. My pain still sucks, but I am getting through it.  I have posted a ton on my diary if you want more detail.  Thanks for asking!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »
I went over and had a look on your diary Farah - I will post to you over there.

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

brianne

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »
Farrah,

Sometimes conservative is not always best.  With my first TTT at my 6 weeks PO appointment I was still on crutches and in a brace and my OS told me to ditch both immediately and just walk.  I wanted to kill him at first because I hurt and was so weak, but with in a week I was walking really good.  Strength is the key to getting back walking.  Its hard because it hurts to walk, but not walking makes the leg weaker.  So, its a tricky balance.  But at this point I understand my body and I know whats okay pain and whats not.  This is my fourth TTT.

Kirsty,

YAY, you have a plan.  More surgery is never fun, but hopefully this will be the end of it once and for all.  Too bad you have to deal with all the insurance garbage.  Good luck with everything as you get ready for your surgery.

Tanya,

I have had two awesome days in a row.  I know there will be more hard ones to come, but it feels nice to feel back to semi-normal.  Yes, I shall soon be doing the "my knees don't dislocate anymore dance."  It will be nice!  I cannot wait.

I had PT today.  We are focusing on both knees, but that is tricky because my left is still healing.  So my PT and I did a lot of modified activities to work on strengthening for me right knee while protecting my left knee.  I used the total gym on my right leg only, but I had to hold my left leg out and my PT held on it so it would not get in the way.  I also did a lot of balance things on my right.  I started work on hip flexors and abductors.  Its so much fun!  :P

As for my left knee, its still mostly ROM.  I have until March 12 to have full ROM, that is what my OS expects.  I am not worried because ROM has never been hard for me.  I got to 105 degrees today after warming up and stretching my Hamstrings.  So I only have 30 more degrees to go.  However, the MPFL graft gets so stiff and so my OS wants to see if not stiff and the ROM to be full without having to warm up.  I am doing good, but I have a ways to go with the ROM if its Full without warming up first.  My OS is super obessed with ROM.

Brianne

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2008, 11:54:17 PM »
Brianne, good luck with your PT!  Sounds like it is hard work for your therapist too...having to hold your leg out :)  J/k!  At least your PT is taking the time to make sure you get what you need on both legs.  I can't wait to have my other one fixed!!!!  I have yet to talk to my OS about it since before surgery.  He probably thinks it is okay!!  BUT IT IS NOT!  I had to do an exercise today while standing, I had to balance and bend my left knee while pushing my right leg behind me while keeping it straight.  The theraband was connected to my left ankle while pushing my right leg back. During this motion, I bent my left knee while I pushed my right leg back behind me.  My left knee crunched and hurt.  I just left it alone.  I had to do something to get stronger.  I figured I could let my left one get worse while I make the right one better.  I can handle it.  Anyway, I am happy for you about having 2 good days!!  Good luck with all of it!! 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D