Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 113047 times)

brianne

Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2008, 01:42:22 AM »
Cat,

That video was so cute.  That dog was hilarious!  Thanks for the smile.

Tanya,

I am ready to file a complaint with this surgery myself.  I know that things went well and that the outcome will be good, but I am frustrated.  OUCH!!!!!  My first PO appointment is on Monday...but it is with my local OS so I guess I cannot complain to him.

Laura,

Yes, my infection was very odd.  I am just glad it cleared up quickly.

Okay, so does anyone know anything about this.  I have been having the electric shocks of pain from the nerves, which is painful.  But a few hours ago I was working on ROM, nothing pushing it, just doing gentle ROM to keep my leg from getting too stiff.  Well I started getting intense pains all the way down my tibia.  Now I have very intense pain just below the osteotomy site and there is definate swelling.  I think my tibia is going on strike because its been attacked with a bone saw too many times!  I just do not know.  I was spoiled with my first three TTT's because they went realtively easy.  (well there was the infection with #3, but that was 5 weeks later.)  I just feel like I cannot do anything with this one.

Brianne

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 02:33:29 AM »
Hmmm.... I have no idea on that one.......That might be worth a whole new post under TTT to see if anyone else has had that happen. YIKES.
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
Hi Brianne,

Keep up the good work. You are doing extremely well.

Let us know how your OS appointment goes on Monday. Mine is 2 days after that.

Good luck with your recovery !!  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »
Hi Brianne,
Sorry to hear you are having new pain. I have had so many different aches and pains that its difficult to know what causes what. I do get tibia pain occasionally even now but it generally just goes away by itself. Say it to your OS on Monday. Ill be very interested to hear how the appointment goes.

Im sure that its just because it was an extensive job to repair damage and get your alignment right that this surgery seems so difficult. It may also be a bit of your mind set - you have accepted now that this is the last surgery so you only have it to focus on - before your mind would be occupied with upcoming events to some degree!! One way or the other, this one is harder, but then thats it!!! NO MORE surgery!!

I hope youre feeling better soon, Ill let you know if I receive an answer to my complaint.

xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 04:43:56 PM »
Brianne....Just checking in to see how you are feeling...and to let you know I am thinking about you.

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

brianne

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »
Not too much new to report today.  Still having the tibia pain, but I think that is probably from the fact that my tibia has been cut twice in a years time.  The nerves are continuing to try to refire, which is actually sometimes more painful than the surgery area.  I am excited tomorrow about my post-op appointment and finding out how the surgery went.  All of my PO appointments for this surgery will be done locally as my OS will be out for 2 months. 

My right knee is holding up surprisingly well after the surgery.  It gets a little sore by the end of the day and I have a little bit of trouble standing up if I am on the floor because my right knee is still recovering.  But, it does not hurt and it is looking great.  I have full ROM in all directions and its never stiff.  On Wednesday in PT we are going to resume working on my right knee.  We took the past two weeks off to allow my left knee to heal.  We will be doing modified things that do not stress my left knee. 

The weather forecast for my area next week is freezing rain, ice, and lots of snow.  It looks like I will not be getting out at all.  I do not want to risk that anything happens because of the ice and snow.  I am so ready for this winter to be over. 

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »
yikes on the weather. I hear you on being careful....after reading what happened to fawn...Im going to be SO careful.  I feel like  can walk with my brace on without the crutches but Im not taking any chances on a fall.  That is good that you are feeling better.  Im praying that I dont get those nerve sensations back. I had them from day one after my first surgery and they never really went totally away..they faded...this surgery I had them for the first 3 days...but none in the calf since. Last night I had a tiny nerve pain pinging the top of the patella...but it went away when I put the brace back on. Who knows.

Glad to hear you have good local Post op...too bad your os is gone for so long...wow..two months!
LR 11/2006

brianne

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
OUCH!  That is the word for this morning.  Last night I got a nerve refiring sensation that was so painful it caused me to wake up screaming in pain.  The pain lasted about 10 minutes.  I seriously wanted to rip my leg off last night.  The nerve pain has been at times more painful then any of the surgery pain.  I am going to make sure I ask about it at my PO this afternoon.  I am excited about getting my stitches out and finding out more about the surgery today.

Let's hope this nerve pain goes away soon!

Laura,

My local OS did my original TTT's and he has been very supportive throughout this entire ordeal.  He referred me to my OS is Detroit.  I have been very lucky because I have a great local OS so I can do most of my PO stuff in town.  His office is literally just down the road from my house.  Sure makes it easy!  As for my OS is D-Town...he is having surgery so he will be out for awhile.  My left knee surgery wasn't supposed to be until March, but they had to move it up because of my OS's surgery.

Brianne

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »
Well. that is great........you know..I saw lots of OS in Texas. The doctor that found the procedure to fix my knee. He told me all about it and gave me the research study on the procedure. I was nervous..I continued to seek other opinions but kept going back to him.....kept up PT etc.  Finally.....I read his literature and found that this doctor in Georgia helped do the study.  I contacted this doctor in Georgia...but didnt hear back. I thought that he didnt do the surgery anymore...or just didnt want me to come......so I scheduled the surgery in Austin.  The Austin doctor had told me he had only done two of them before but he was confident he could fix me.   The DAY I scheduled the surgery in Austin, Dr. Flandry in Georgia called me back. He told me to NOT have it done in Austin if they hadn't done many b/c it is tricky to get an extensor mechanism reconstruction correct.  So.....I scheduled here.  I wrote a really nice note.....said how much I respected the doctors opinion in Austin, his time and thanked him for all he had done. I told him that I was having surgery here wth the man that did the research study and when  I came back to Austin I would like to still follow up with him..........so..you know what MY local OS did???  He had his nurse call me and say that I was not welcome to come back to their office after my surgery.  So....I had to find a NEW local OS the week before I came to Georgia.  My docs I work with pulled in a favor and I met the new OS.  He met me and said it is odd to meet someone the week before they go have surgery with someone else and plan to follow me up...but they agreed.    I am still SOO mad at the guy that dumped me.  Talk about an ego thing.    Sigh.....so, you are lucky that your doctor helped you get your surgery elsewhere and that he is man enough to follow you afterwards.  Im still stewing up a reply letter to my local doctor....the ass.   And...I REALLY liked him.  sigh.

Im really sorry you continue to have that nerve pain. I TOTALLY know what you are feeling. I had that after my last surgery too. No one seemed to understand it.  I hope that it is just still swelling for you and that it goes away.  Where is the nerve pain located?? Is it ON the knee or in the calf or shin or behnd the knee?  My current PT says that she thinks lots of my nerve pain is actually coming from my back.....interesting b/c when they worked on my back last week..she could push on a place that made my knee nerve hurt. OUCH.

Good luck today.
Laura
LR 11/2006

brianne

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2008, 03:51:05 PM »
Laura,

That OS sounds like a jerk.  You would think that he would be more interested in making sure that your knee gets fixed properly and put his huge ego aside.  Apparently not.  I would be so mad about that!  Its good that you got a good OS to fix your knee.  That is kind of why my OS sent my to the OS in D-Town.  He said he had done several successful MPFL recons and TTT revisions.  However, the OS in D-Town is much more experienced in dealing with Patella issues and my local OS said that he would feel more confident about it if someone with more experience did the surgery.  I totally respect him for that.  He has really been looking out for me through this whole thing.  Even though my OS in D-Town actually fixed my knee, I totally credit my local OS for making it happen because I would not have thought to go to the OS in D-Town if my local OS had not referred me.

My nerve pain is on my shin and then down into my ankle.  Its so intense at times.  Hmmm, I think I might call my chiropractor and see if she has any ideas about what could be causing it.

Brianne

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
Brianne
   i had that nerve deal too.  It lasted about a week to 10 days.  It hurt terrible bad!  Mine would jerk the leg which made it hurt more.  It slowly subsided but I still get a firing every so often and Iam at 4 wks PO today.  I hope it gets better for you.  That pain really sucks cause it come out of now where and you dont have a chance to even prepair mentally for it.
   Good luck with your OS today! I go tomorrow and hoping I will be released to PWB or FWB and get to start ROM  that would be great!
Melissa
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »
Good luck today Briann!  Thanks for your positive note on my diary! 
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2008, 08:10:47 PM »
Brianne...Mine used to do that too. Mine was more lateral on the shin. I would describe mine as being the middle third of the lateral part of my shin where the shin and calf connect on the side of the leg. It was a real zinger...seriously like I was getting electrocuted. Afterward it would feel bruised and itchy......it was so odd.  After this post op I had it again...but only a few days...I was SOOO afraid it would stick around...but so far so good....but then again...the PT manual therapist has been doing some work on my back...I have NO idea. I was SOOOO sure that when they did this surgery my peroneal nerve was entraped. That is the nerve that is in the region that I hurt...but, the doctor said my scars were no where near that nerve...so they did nothing about the nerve pain. I hope he is right.......crossing all fingers.

:-) hope it gets better for you too
I get to go home tomorrow. yipee.
Laura
LR 11/2006

brianne

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2008, 08:34:57 PM »
well I am back from my PO appointment.  I got through there in record time.  I was in and out including x-rays and all that fun in 25 minutes.  The weather is lousy today and they had a lot of cancellations.  I have never been out of there in less than 1 and a half hours.  It was a record today.  So I got the stitches out so I can put my leg in water...hmmm, I may have to go visit my dad soon because he has a hot tub. :)

Overall my OS was pleased.  He said that the x-rays look amazing, my patella looks to be in good position.  He was pleased with my 90 degrees ROM.  As for the tibia pain, he said that it is likely just aching because my tibia has been cut twice in a years time.  He said that should go away.  As for the numbness...he thinks that the numbness is caused by some surface nerves being cut during surgery.  He said that the medial side of the knee where my incision is has a very large number of surface nerves.  The fact that I have so much pain is a good sign because it means they are trying to fire.  It is possible that the area will remain numb forever, or for a very long time.  Although, my OS pointed out that if that is the only side effect I have after all these surgeries then I am doing pretty good.  So, I see my OS again on March 12th, he expects full ROM by then. 

As for now, and am just supposed to work on ROM and keep taking it easy to get the swelling down.

Brianne

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2008, 08:54:26 PM »
That is GREAT!!! Does it feel great to have your stitches out?? I get mine out tomorrow.  I cant WAIT.  Well...that is great news about the nerves etc.  I  know that my last doctor said I would need at least 18 months after my first surgery to say that the nerves would not come back...so that is a long time.  You just might get sensation back.  From my lateral release..I had lots of numbness for several months on the knee and at the incision. (different than the nerve pain).....One PT told me to rub it and lightly massage the skin...said it helps it wake up. I think it did help some.  I think I would take numb over pain anyday.....be careful shaving though!!! I shaved my knee a little last night (easy b/c it is big and round..haha) and it was odd b/c I couldnt really feel the razor!

Im at 90 too.  They told me to get to 110 degrees by 6 weeks post op....so we are on the same course..........

Does it feel better to have the stitches out? How many did you have?

Congrats on all of the good news!
LR 11/2006

support