Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision  (Read 112852 times)

brianne

Re: Brianne's Left MPFL reconstruction and TTT revision
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 08:58:19 PM »
Thank you everyone so much for the encouragement.  It really means a lot and really helps.

Today is still the same in terms of pain.  I do think that a lot of the swelling is going down.  This has brought way to a new and very annoying kind of pain.  My lower leg is numb and the suspected culprit is too much swelling that is compressing on the nerve.  As the swelling is going down I think that the nerve is trying to wake back up.  Every now and then I will get this horrible electric sensation throughout my entire lower leg.  It will wake me up if I am sleeping.  Its pretty intense.  I am assuming that this has to do with the nerve trying to fire again.

My friend is still hanging in there, but its only a matter of days.  I made it out to visit her earlier (which was quite the accomplishment right now) but I do not think she really reconized me or anyone.  She is pretty incoherent. 

So, thats all for now.  I hope everyone is doing well today.  Happy singles day!

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 09:43:10 PM »
Brianne...I had that nerve thing after my last surgery too....I had a LR and I had a TON of swelling afterward. My leg was HUGE ...shiney skin...pitting edema....my skin hurt to touch it like a bad bruise......then I started having that nerve pain. My would shoot down the outside of my calf.  It would happen every single time I did a quad set.  Like an electic shock. Mainly it affected the middle third of the outside of my calf.

anyway...hope it gets better for you. I know it was really frustrating for me.   They had me lay on the ground with my foot in the air and do foot pumps.....wrap it up tight wth a bandage...then I ended up with swirly circle bruises down my leg from where the ace wrap was.....so odd.

Im sorry about your friend. I lost my aunt to breast cancer. We went to see her in the end too and I know that she didnt really know we were there. It is hard. You just have to be there for her family too. Be there to feel her spirit.... if you can tell her how you feel so you never regret it even if you dont think she can hear you....then just remember her the way she was when she was well.  It is never easy....I think it never should be.....
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

brianne

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 02:49:37 AM »
Laura,

Yeah, I have the pitting edema.  My numbness is from the middle of my knee down to my ankle, with the numbness mostly on the inside portion of my calf.  I get the electric shocks whenever and when they come its so painful.  If I am sleeping and I get an electric like sensation I usually wake up in pain.  I keep my leg super elevated for most of the day.  I keep it wrapped with an ace bandage all day. 

My friend Ann is not the first person I have lost.  Actually, I lost my sister when I was 20 and I think that watching Ann die kind of brings up the emotions of losing Nicole.   Thanks for the encouragement.  And it never is easy...

Brianne

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
  • "laugh til you cry, cry til you laugh..."
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 02:57:43 AM »
Hi Brianne
It is the pits  that this recovery is so tough, after all you have been through you are owed a freebie. 
I am also sorry for what you are going through with losing your friend.  It sure is a lot to handle at one time.  Emotions are so close to the surface during surgery recovery in the base case so you are really getting  a tough load.  I have read many of your posts from your last surgery and always thought you to be very strong, optimistic and determined-I hope those qualities are able to help you through all this.
Carol

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 02:59:00 AM »
Brianne, I will be thinking about you.  I am so so so sorry you are going through such a hard time.  I have a friend of mine battling her 2nd round of breast cancer and it is very difficult for me to complain to her about anything knowing she is going through that.  So I will not complain to you about any of my knee stuff until you are feeling better with your sad and painful emotions.  I will only post positive thoughts after this post.  I will go to bed and cry now b/c I am going through so many emotions right now...I think it's the meds....all of my complaints will be on my diary if you want to feel more sad!  :)  J/K!  My last few posts have been a little more positive as I hope yours become that way soon.  I wish there was something that I could do for you.  I have never met you, but I feel like I know you!  Anybody going through knee surgery pain and watching a friend struggle through a terminal illness at the same time is a really strong person!  I know you are and I wish I was as strong as you.  You will get through all of this.  Just take care of yourself in the meantime!! 

Hey!  I think that was my best most inspiring post yet...at least the end of it!  Good luck Brianne!  I wish you the best! 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 03:41:52 AM »
Brianne...I know what you mean about the painful nerve. Mine would feel like I stuck my finger in the light socket. They would tell me if I could keep doing quad sets to just keep doing them.....I said...how many times can you stick your finger in the light socket before you cry uncle??  It HURTS.....Mine was the superficial peroneal nerve....Im not sure which yours is....yours is on the other side.....OUCH.  I hear you on the swelling. You know this surgery I took lots of alternative medicines along with the surgery. I took a medicine called Sinnecch   http://www.alpinepharm.com/   and also I took a combination medication called proinflazyme http://www.vitamins4you.biz/product-detail.asp?name=n3500&desc=PRO-INFLA-ZYME.  Both of these were recommended to me by my local pharmacist to help me not bruise and swell this time. I can say...I only have one tiny bruise and swelling only at the knee this time.  I am very happy about it.....you might see if any of these will work for you too.   

about your friend...I hear you...I lost my dad and step mother at age 15..the next year..the aunt of breast cancer....in college a good friend in a car accident..then my grandfather, then an uncle...then another friend in grad school..then my grandmother..then my uncle. In that order....from age 15-35.  Too many. None get easier.  Makes me appreciate people more. Made me decrease my work hours.  But...it doesnt take away the loss.....and knowing that that person is dying does not take away your knee pain....so dont feel bad about complaining about your pain. You dont have to be tough for us. :)

hang in there.
Laura
LR 11/2006

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 09:17:47 AM »
Hi Brianne,

Sorry to hear about your friend and pain levels. I lost my grandmother when she was quite young and also almost lost my brother to a brain tumour. Fortunately, my brother is ok now. I know how it feels to be in so much pain. It is mentally tough to deal with all of this at once. You are doing very well.

In the last week I have had over 50 or 60 subluxations and dislocations and have been in a lot of pain. Just felt screaming yesterday. My sports physician suggested I take anti-inflammatories solidly for a week and also take Panadeine 15 which is inbetween Panadol and Panadeine Forte as well as icing a couple of times a day.

My sports physician and knee physio are now wondering whether I may have torn the MPFL that I had reconstructured. How did you find out that it needed doing ? I will ask my OS on Wednesday. My OS appointment seemed ages away, but I have it in 5 days and will be just glad to know what I am dealing with. My friend saw him on Wednesday and said that my kneecap dislocates just looking at it. I think he was joking, but kind of serious.

Chin up, things can only get better. Thinking of you.  :D

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:09 AM »
Brianne,
I wish to make a complaint - if you would just direct me to the relevant office I will happily fill out the paperwork - the nature of my complaint is that YOU SHOULD NOT BE HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME!!!! Its not fair and I would like to shake whoever is in charge of these things and ask them to lay off and give you a break. Im unconcerned about having to fill out the paperwork in triplicate or waiting in a long queue - I really have to get it off my chest that I am NOT impressed with how things have gone for you with this most recent surgery. However I will be commending the fact that your last surgery was relatively easy by comparison cos if this was what it was like last time you wouldnt have gone for the next one. I will also note that you should not have had to fight an infection last time and that this electric shock nerve pain is quite simply not on.
However if the answer to all of this is that you have 2 good knees I will forever remain jealous and wish to be you :)
xxx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »
Hey Brianne,
Check this out. It's so cute and maybe will bring a little smile your way.

http://www.dailymotion.com/related/7348610/video/x31o8b_jean-dit-simon-says_animals

;D ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

brianne

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »
Thanks again everyone!  The encouragement means a lot.  I am sure it will all get better, but its just so frustrating right now.  My body has been through a lot the past 8 weeks...2 major surgeries and an infection in between.  I am sick of it all.  I am also sick of the fact that I am home, sick...as in out of work and yet my dumb co-workers keep calling me and telling people who call wanting to volunteer to call me.  I am out, I am using my 2008 vacation days on a knee surgery.  Last time I checked, being in horrible pain after surgery in the middle of the freaking winter does not count as a very good vacation.  I do not bother my co-workers when they go on vacation.  All I want is to not have to worry about my stupid job and not have people calling me every five minutes and then having them call me back five minutes after that because they want to know why I did not answer my phone.  GAHHHHHH!!!!!  I hate all of this.

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
How funny that they are doing that.  Yes, work doesn't understand.  My boss must have told me 8 times to call her when I got out of surgery.....over and over...she kept saying...call us so we know you are ok....I thought......1. Im not calling YOU when I get out of surgery. 2. Im not calling ANYONE when I get out of surgery......3.  My husband will call when he feels like it.

I have selectively emailed some co workers...but not replying to any work emails.  Like you...IM OUT......so frustrating........and, yes..people always treat surgery like it is a vacation.   A vacation to the worst part of the world. 

Hey..I havent read your posts from between these surgeries...but how soon did you know you had an infection the first time?  MY doctor put me on antibiotics yesteday b/c my  knee is red and hot.  The sutures all look fine....no drainage ever...just a spot on the knee that is red and hot?  Just curious.

Two major surgeries in 8 weeks.  I dont think Im strong enough to have done that. I mean.....that must be really really hard. Your emotional endurance only has so much reserve before you cave in. You must be strong.  I hope I can be as strong as you

Hang in there.
Laura
LR 11/2006

brianne

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
Laura,

Yes, co-workers sometimes do not understand.  Some of them seem to think that I somehow enjoy having knee surgery.  They also seem to disrespect the fact that I am off of work.  My boss has been very supportive throughout all of this.  If it wasn't for my boss being so supportive I think I would walk in to my office and start taking out my frustration from all of this by screaming at everyone.  But, there will be an end to all of this.

Gah, this has been a stressful 8 weeks.  I do not feel so strong sometimes.  I feel like screaming most of the time.  But, I keep telling myself that it will get better.  My infection popped up at 5 weeks Post-Op.  It started with a little drainage from a tiny pinhole sized opening on my tibia scar.  Then, the scar started to open, just the size of an eraser head.  Then, by a week later I had three holes the size of eraser heads and a huge red spot on my shin that was hot.  I also had a lot of pus coming from the holes.  I know that infections can present themselves in all sorts of interesting ways.  My OS said that my infection was one of the most interesting ones he had ever seen.  But, it cleared up pretty well and now is completely gone.  I am watching my left knee like a hawk. 

So, I am looking forward to summer.  I will have two working knees and I have lost 38 pounds in the past five months.  I have about 15 more to lose before summer, but I am not worried about that.  So I plan on hitting the beach and enjoying myself.  I am going to buy my first bikini ever!  YAY.   That is what is keeping me going!

Brianne

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »
How are you losing weight???  I have lost about 5 lbs since jan 8th's surgery. I am the lightest I have been since being a gymnast.
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

brianne

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »
Farrah,

I have really changed my diet around.  I used to have a very unhealthy diet and now I am completely changing all of that.  I eliminated processed foods, high calorie foods, and I stick to a pretty strict diet.  Actually, I do not consider it a diet, because I intend to keep eating healthy.  I also do pilates when I have not just had knee surgery.   I had put on quite a few pounds, and I am finally taking the steps to be healthier.

Brianne

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 10:06:41 PM »
wow...that is great on the weight loss. I have lost all muscle tone, all cardio endurance...and gotten very flabby this year. I have gone the opposite direction. I used to have a clear pattern. I ate well, I drank tons of water...I had certain meals, etc before specific workouts.....now..Im addicted to coffee, diet coke...and my diet isnt that great.  I think that I just lost all purpose when I couldnt do any of my sports I liked...then when they took my other exercises away at the gym I just gave up.  This new knee is going to be a new start I hope.  It makes you feel like crap to eat bad. I know that for sure......

Good for you...you will be my motivation!  :-)  I thought I would lose weight being post op and out of town...but since nothing I eat is LEAVING my body...I guess Im gaining.  ???

Your infection does sound creepy..and interesting. I will keep an eye out for any pin hole things that start draining. I have been looking at it alot watching it closely.  I know my mom flew in yesterday. I was stretching my knee on the floor...she came in and put her hand on my knee...I yelled out.....OH NO!!...AIRPLANE GERMS>>>>>> ha ha...she said she had already cloroxed her hand after the airplane. ha ha.....  I dont want ANY funny germs in my knee......

;D
LR 11/2006

support