Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain behind the knee cap  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Mini

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain behind the knee cap
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:28:31 AM »
Hi everyone!

Sorry if this subject as come up before but here goes.

Just about most days I get a pain behind my Knee caps (more in the left knee) and sometimes a pain around the knee joint (as
if you have just twisted your knee). When I was younger I did alot of long distance running around the age of 12 and experienced
a few pains in my knees then.

As I like to keep fit I do alot mare cyclying now but have been told this could cause more problems but I my knees dont seem to hurt after a 90mile bike ride but if i sit crossed leg for more then 2mins the pain comes back.

Please help a very young 32 year old. Are there any knee exercise's i can do to strengthen my knees?

Offline bev lloyd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Pain behind the knee cap
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:39:45 AM »
hi lindsay
i too have various aches and pains that become worse the more i excercise, my doctor has reccommended physiotherapy to strengthen my knees, however there is a long waiting list so don't know if it will do any good, perhaps you should see your doctor.
best of luck
bev

Offline maryliz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:26:36 PM »
Hi
Pain behind the knee cap could indicate a bit of arthritis - although you are young if it is.  The best exercises would be to try and strengthen your quads - leg straight, foot flexed slow lifts.  You might like to try a balance board as well - this may help without using any impact on your knee.
Hope this helps
Maryliz

Offline Mini

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:23:40 PM »
Thank you Maryliz
How often should I do the exercise and how quickly would I start to feel and results?
As I gain strenght should I use ankle waits?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make them stronger

Thanks so much
Mini   :)

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy..."
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »
You could add weights as you get stronger but start slow, and without them and see what happens.  You do not want to cause pain while strengthening.  If it hurts, back off that exercise.  I would recommend seeing an OS as well, to rule out any major issues.
Aug 17 07 Injured
Aug 23 07 Open surgeryOct 18 07 No progress made at PT for awhile - stuck 52/53 degrees
Oct 23 07 Saw OS, wants second opinion from partner-ROM stuck 30-35
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X
Jan 8: ROM 134
Rest In Peace, Lucky!  I love and miss you so much!!!!!!!!

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »
Hi
I would definetly reccommend going to get this checked out further. It could just been strain or wear and tear, but it could also be more and could be rectified easier the earlier you catch it. Not necessarily serious but something that could get worse if left not treated properly.

I too was previously very active and enjoyed fitness, but having left my pain unchecked my knees are now in a pretty bad state and am now facing the prospect of lots of surgery in the future.

This may not happen to you, and I don't want to scare you, but if this has been occuring for some time it would be wise to get this checked by someone who knows what they are talking about and can tell you accurate advice to you specifically.

It's good that you are keen to do the excercises though as they can be a little boring - you sound much better than me! ;)
Bi-lateral anthroscopy on 09.03.07 - severe damage to both knees.
Diagnosed with Osteo-arthritis in January '08 - advanced in right knee and beginning to spread to hip.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:31:48 PM »
Mini - just an FYI - as I am recovering from a TPF I was told not to use ankle weights, but to put the weights above the knee.  That could be just do to the type of break I had, but I would definately check before I added ankle weights.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

support