Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: rebreak after screw removal?  (Read 789 times)

Offline LauraP

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
rebreak after screw removal?
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:24:06 AM »
hi! I had a tib/fib break a year ago and am likely going to get my hardware removed soon (9 screws and a plate), since it's greatly affected my mobility, especially dorsiflexion. My question is...I broke the fib on one spot, and cracked the tib base, so that's two injury sites (both are completely healed now). I got all this hardware and had to be in a wheelchair, NWB, for two months. Now, when they take the hardware out, I'll have 9 holes in my bones...and I'm told I should be walking immediately after than, can drive again in 10 days, and that a rebreak is very unlikely. How is this possible with all the old screw holes? I read/hear of this being the standard, so I don't doubt it true, but I'm truly puzzled and curious. Thanks in advance for any insight on this!

fawn2388

Re: rebreak after screw removal?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:39:58 AM »
Don't worry about it! i had the same worry after getting one screw out, your bone has grown AROUND the screw. Your bone may attempt to fill it in, your doctor may even fill it in as you hadd a lot of screws. But no worries, I had one out... and it was nothing, I'm sure your amount won't be much worst.  Good luck!

support