Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: post surgery bleeding  (Read 821 times)

Offline maryliz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
post surgery bleeding
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:42:45 PM »
I had a unicompartmental knee replacement in November 2007 on left knee with all going well until 6 weeks after the op when my knee started to swell and became unbearably painful.  Xrays showed subsidence and there was bleeding into the joint which had to be drained.  This eased the pain immediately but the bleeding continued and the knee had to be drained a further 3 times.  There is still swelling but just fluid no blood.  Has anyone had a similar experience? and can advise.  I have had to use crutches with only partial weight bearing on leg since and consultant doesn't seem to know why there is still so much pain and fluid build up. It is now 3 months since the op!!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: post surgery bleeding
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:40:46 AM »
I would ask several things:
1. Did they culture the fluids drained, to make sure there's no infection etc?
2. Have they run tests  - labs and scans - to check for any possible reaction to the implant? I seem to recall having heard of there being a few cases where the person's body reacted to the metals used.
3. Have they looked for the "obvious" issues that can crop up such as scar tissue, adhesions, implant sized/placed poorly, etc?
4. Have they checked for any bone issues around the implant?

I would keep asking questions about things until they can come up with answers. Ask for a second opinion too, sometimes a fresh eyeball can spot something that got missed. A fresh perspective can't hurt.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline maryliz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: post surgery bleeding
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:20:45 PM »
Thanks for all of this.  They have tested for infection - none and when I suggested MRI he fobbed me off a bit saying it wouldn't show anything.  He has said he'll do arthroscopy if it doesn't settle down.  He also talked about an abnormal connection between the artery and vein that could cause bleeding.  Looking on the internet I think he means arteriavenous fistula but he has since discounted this.  I'm due to see him in 4 weeks time when I will ask all of your suggested questions.  I have confidence in him, he was the third ortho. surgeon I consulted before making a decision and I will find it difficult to ask for another opinion, stupid I know, after all it is my knee! Thanks again.