Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: post PFJR and shin Pain  (Read 1189 times)

Offline moonpetals

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
post PFJR and shin Pain
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:00:43 AM »
Hi all.
Just a quick question and a little background. I had a PFJR on my right knee in June of last year. For the past several months i have had excruiating pain on the frontal underneath ( if that makes and sense) of my kneecap. It will flair for no reason what so ever. i still have sublaxations. But then I would say about 3 weeks ago my foot is going numb and is cold.Also my Shin feels like it has been beat with a baseball bat :o
I have also had a TTT there about 3 years ago. That in itself has made walking very difficult. Has anyone else had this happen? I am really getting desperate. Any and all input would be greatlt appreciated!
Thanks so much,
 Jenny
Lateral release-both knees
Arthroscopy-3 Times
Fulkersons TTT- Both Legs
medial reefing
PFJR (L knee) June 2006
PFJR (R knee) June 2007
Saphenous Neuroma removal Feb 22 2008
Scope LR,IT band,menicus repair Mar 18 2009
Scope,scar tissue removal menicus repair June 17 2009
Upcoming TKR Nov 10 2009

gigi67

Re: post PFJR and shin Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
I dont have the same problem but the cold, numb, pain thing....i am a self made awareness spokesperson for Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome ( CRPS) or in older terms RSD reflex sympthetic dystrophy...ask your OS about the possibility . the symptoms are cold temp, some have discoloration, pain the dr's cant explain, numbness or tingling, burning pain, shooting pain, ect it is a nerve condition that can and often occurs after 1) trauma injury 2) surgey 3) i periods of immobilization any or all of those things. sometimes a simple sprain can cause it...if thats what it is an early diagnosis is important for early treatment...i was DX'd with it at my 5 month mark last year...didnt like the DX went to a pediatrist, he said it was nerve entrapment which causes similar symptoms  of RSD gave me injections,  orthotics, started swimming...in time it got better but it is still very cold...lke ice actually 9 months after my initital injury so my pediatrist said it could be RSD afterall. But if it is i caught it early enough that i was able to get rid of some of the symptoms. also they sever blood vessels in surgery n nerves so that can cause some of the cold limb problem...a circulation thing but becasue you have the cold and the pain and the numbness at least ask about RSD or nerve entrapment ok? better safe than sorry.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:54:01 PM »
Jenny,

You should consult with your OS on this latest development.  Besides the neuro condition that Gigi mentioned it could also be a vascular problem. 

Since you are having contining trauma to the knee (from the subluxations) one possibility could be compartment syndrome in the lower leg.  There has been shown to be some correlation between joint replacements (it doesn't matter whether it is full joint or just the PF) and chronic compartment syndrome.  Compartment syndrome occurs when there is swelling in the lower leg and the fascia surronding the muscle essentially strangulates the muscular tissue.  The fascia is not elastic, and when there is swelling in the muscle compartments  this increases pressure one the muscle fibers and results in tissue death. 

Compartment syndrome is diagnosed through direct pressure readings by inserting a needle into the compartment that is attached to a device to read the pressure. 

I had the symptoms you discribed a couple weeks following my ACL revision.  I was diagnosised with compartment syndrome.  In some cases, a fasciotomy is necessary, but I didn't require surgery just rest.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline moonpetals

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:34:54 PM »
Thanks to the both of you for replying to my post. I have a OS appt tomorrow afternoon. I will certainly you let you know what my OS says. Thanks again for the input. I will ask him about both conditions.
Thanks,
 Jenny
Arthroscopy-3 Times
medial reefing
PFJR (L knee) June 2006
PFJR (R knee) June 2007
Upcoming TKR Nov 10 2009

Offline moonpetals

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 02:11:22 PM »
Hello all,
Well My OS says it is time to move to surgery once again (will this ever end?!)  :'(
He says that i have a Neuroma that must be removed and that he will also while in there cut into my Muscles because I have muscle Hernation. All I know is that this is a outpatient surgery. Normally my OS is very good at explaining every aspect of any surgery I have had,but for some reason yesterday, maybe because he was really far behind he didn't yesterday. Has anyone else had this surgery? If so could you please let me know what it entails as I have looked and looked and I cannot find anything on this except on the feet and Mine happends to be in my upper shin.
Thanks,
 Jenny
Arthroscopy-3 Times
medial reefing
PFJR (L knee) June 2006
PFJR (R knee) June 2007
Upcoming TKR Nov 10 2009