Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Stiff knee after femur fracture  (Read 5742 times)

Offline vitaminL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Stiff knee after femur fracture
« on: February 05, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »
Hello, I'm trying to regain full use of my knee after a femur fracture. I suspect my questions have been answered before but I could not find the right posts.

I suffered a commuted fracture of my right femur just above the knee two weeks ago. An IM rod was put in and secured with two nails at the hip and two at the knee. X-rays taken at 11 days showed that the bone fragments are in a loose arrangement and some are sticking out of the normal outline of the bone.

I can only bend my knee 30 degrees or so, after which there is pain and strong resistance. I can feel a tightening just above my knee that seems to be resisting the motion.

I am wondering whether to try to fight against the resistance and increase my range of motion, or try to allow the bones to heal completely first. I am worried that if I try to force my leg to bend then I will tear some of the fragments out of alignment.

My surgeon told me that I need to begin PT now if I am to regain full range of motion, but that I should not be too 'aggressive'.
I guess I'm just not sure what he means.

I would appreciate any insight.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Stiff knee after femur fracture
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
Have you gotten any referal to a phys to get help with PT ?
If not call your OS and get a referal. You can also call and ask your OS what means.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

gigi67

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »
PT will make a big differenc and they know how far to push you...but some may try to ppush you further than what you really can go...so learn to speak up about that and say " stop!" ..they use to make me cry until i learned from a friend who use to be in PT that it shouldnt hurt so band I cry if so thats pushing it too far and all it would do is make me so i couldnt hardlly exercise the next day. BUt i well remeber that same tight feeling  above my knee. I was scared too death they were tearing my leg or something but in time it got easier. when Pt goes to do a passive stretch or whoever does it for you, really focus on relaxing that thigh and letting your hip drop down in a relaxed position. Tak a few deep breaths before they stretch, find a focal point and concentrate on relaxing that muscle as much as possible..it takes practice but you can learn how to really relax into it...breath out as they push it a little further, breath in deep in between when they pause for your ok to go further..that helped me anyway...take your meds b- 4 PT...even if just advil take something to help relax it a little. Hope it goes well for you.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:49:17 PM »
have been working on ortho before and the problem seems to be very common post femur#. Most people regain ROM, but the screws just above the knee mostly prevents them from having full ROM and cause pain. That's why most rods are removed and then the pain is almost immediately gone, and ROM comes back.

Good luck, i would follow OS orders and have patience.

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

support