Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can't get a break  (Read 1903 times)

Offline txathletictrainer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can't get a break
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:08:12 AM »
I finally broke down and went to the OS last week, much to my detriment at work, it caused more problems than you could imagine, and I work in sports medicine! The doctor spent very little time examining my knee or listening to my long history, and ordered an MRI saying he really didn't know. I got the results this morning and to be honest was disapointed. No, nothing bad in there. I was almost hoping that they would find a tear of some kind that might explain the pain, which causes me to become nauseous, and the swelling. No, what I was told by the nurse was that I have chondromalacia (thanks, known that since I was 14), a thickening of the patellar tendon due to scar tissue, more scar tissue and swelling. Don't get me wrong I am very grateful that there is nothing serious, but I am frustrated because none of these expalins anything to me. Now I feel like my boss thinks it's all in my head or that I'm faking it. I'm supposed to go in Monday to discuss treatment options, which from what they said is more NSAIDS (tried everything in the book already) rehab and maybe synvisc as a last resort. I really don't know what to do and I have had as much as I an handle. My job gets worse day by day, but because I'm a teacher I can't quit until my contract ends and the pain from my leg is almost unbearable.  :(
chronic patellar dislocations beginning in 98.
popliteal hemangioma 2000;
 distal patellar tendon realignment 2000,
 meniscus tear 2001, 2003, 2005,
3x MCL tear, partial ACL 2006.
synisc Jan 08 - did nothing.
 MCL and partial ACL July 2008

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Can't get a break
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:14:59 AM »
Hi...Sorry you had such a rough day..nothing is more frustrating than having pain..and then getting a non answer....Sounds like a second opinion is in order...As I'm sure you know from your work..docs do have varying opinions and do miss things...If you have swelling and pain...they have to be due to something...Are you having the swelling under the patella of just on a specific side?...Chronomalacia can be very painful...as well as the scar tissue....Do you have tracking probs?...You're definitely not faking it....does icing or elevation help?....

Sounds like you're really frustrated and rightfully so.....I hope you can get some answers and some relief...Don't give up...Many of us have been down this road and it can be maddening....

Hang in there and let me know how you're doing...try to relax as best you can and cut yourself some slack...Seems like this doc didn't really give you the attention and thoroughness you needed...

Feel Better..

Ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply Ron. Today might be a little better, if only for the fact that my boss has been gone half the day, but then again, it's only noon. Today I have a lot of swelling in the medial joint line and around my tibial plateau, but it's usually pretty diffuse. By the time I get home at night it usually looks like a softball. Sometimes icing or elevation helps, I do both anyways. I do still have tracking problems. I had a TTT in 2000 and got some relief from that but it didnt totally correct the problem. I know it's not all in my head, but I've seen 4 different orthopedists and none of them seem to know whats going on.

gigi67

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
hey there. yes it is frustrating when your pain cant be diagnosed. what about  prescription orthotics  from a podiatrist that realign your foot, leg, etc maybe that will help?  have you tried ultrasound therapy for the scarring? maybe alternative ...chiropractors claim to have alot of sucess with knee patients. I cant afford it right now with ongoing med costsf rom my injury or i would try that myself. I just go to the local gym and swim to help with my pain...and the stress  from my pain. ...alot of people dont know about RSD  it can cause unexplained swelling and pain, temperature changes, are u familiar with that? I was diagnosed with RSD after my injury..it occurs from...trauma, injury, surgery, etc Just shooting out thoughts as they come to me here. sorry. maybe injections? I ahe those  unexplained things. very frustrating.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 06:18:44 PM »
hey there. yes it is frustrating when your pain cant be diagnosed. what about prescription orthotics from a podiatrist that realign your foot, leg, etc maybe that will help? have you tried ultrasound therapy for the scarring? maybe alternative ...chiropractors claim to have alot of sucess with knee patients. I cant afford it right now with ongoing med costsf rom my injury or i would try that myself. I just go to the local gym and swim to help with my pain...and the stress from my pain. ...alot of people dont know about RSD it can cause unexplained swelling and pain, temperature changes, are u familiar with that? I was diagnosed with RSD after my injury..it occurs from...trauma, injury, surgery, etc Just shooting out thoughts as they come to me here. sorry. maybe injections? I ahe those unexplained things. very frustrating.

Well, let's see. I went to the doc on Monday and was told by him that there is considerable articular cartilage damage. That's not what I was told by his nurse who read his notes to. He gave me my first injection of synvisc then. I cannot describe how bad it hurt and then my knee almost locked in that position. Lucky me. I get to go back on Monday for the next two weeks to get my next rounds of injections. Gigi, to answer you, the chiro that I saw in college was a wonderful help to me, I just wish he hadn't retired, I haven't found one yet to replace him, or one that's covered on my insurance right now. Ultrasound helps some, but I have vascular clips in the popliteal fossa and it seems to agravate them, so I'm avoiding that right. I have a gym memborship and I try to workout 3-4 times a week. About the RSD, that's never been discussed by any of my doctors and to be honest up until the last few (when I've been reading alot about it, I didn't know anything about it.) Thank you so much for your input. Its a comfort to know that there are people out there who understand the frustration and pain.

support