Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Back again...and the knee is still a nuisance  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Back again...and the knee is still a nuisance
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:59:04 PM »
 ;D Hi guys

I am so sorry I have been away. I fell ill beforeChristmas and can honestly say I had the worst flu ever for about 6 weeks. I have had repeated blood tests and hopefully on the mend now. Ironically the say I am storing too much iron in my blood but thats a whole other issue.

My knee....well its still very painful. I have muscles doing something now YAY !!!....well sort of. Unfortunately my knee cap pulls laterally too much with every quad contraction leaving me with a very sore knee. It gets sore at the bottom of my knee cap going into my shin and at the sides of the knee cap and underneath. The concern for me is tramadol isn;t always working anymore.

So thats about it in a nutshell. I am trying to do exercises on my own and don;t see a PT very much. It was costing a fortune.

ANyhow to all my old pals, how are you ? How are the old knees ?

Thanks so much to those of you who got in touch - it meant the world to me !

Luv ya
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for† subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Back again...and the knee is still a nuisance
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »
WELCOME BACK JOANNE!!!

I am glad that you feel better, and everything is straightened out.

I am sorry to hear that your knee is still bothering you. Have you gotten another opinion on it or are you just pushing forward as much as you can?

Letís see, I do not know if you knew that I was going to have knee surgery. I had a LR on my right knee in December and I can not believe that it has been 6-weeks since then. I had a little problem about 3 weeks post op where, I went to pt on Friday and when I got there my knee was really warm so my therapist told me only to do a couple of things and keep an eye on it. Over the weekend I kept ice on it and I was checking it on Sunday and I had these red dots so I took the ice off and called the os in the morning. So I went to see him and he said it is a reaction from either the ace wrap, polar care or the immoblizer, so he said to keep everything off and see what happens and to call if it got worse. He also put me on an antibiotic just incase there was an infection in there, but thank goodness there was not. Since my bump in the road everything has gone smoothly since then. On Monday I see my os for my 6 week check up.

Luv ya and Missed you

Margaret

"ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" ~SPAMALOT

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:36:12 AM »
Hi Joanne!!!
Welcome back!!!

Im sooo glad to hear your muscles are actually doing something!!! Remember how long mine were just sitting slack doing nothing!!! I know what its like!! I had a similiar problem with the lateral quads pulling too hard, just keep concentrating on that VMO work!!
I only see my PT once a month or 6 weeks now too, in between is just plugging away at the exercises......

So Im just still plugging away, I think I kept expecting to wake up one morning with a good knee, now Ive started to realise its more like getting less and less bad days until some day Ill wake up and realise Ive only had good days for a while. Heres hoping that day comes sooner rather than later!!!!!

Still having a dislocaey feeling walking, but not on every step and not as badly as before, but that last bit of controlled extension still eludes me!!
However I am in my longest period without a dislocation in 3 years (TOUCH WOOD!!!!) - 17 weeks now, long may it continue!!

So do they know why you store too much iron in your blood? Poor you - you didnt need that!!

When are we going on our next Virtual Holiday? My tan has well faded from the last one. Could do with having that nice physio girl do the work for me for a while too.
xx
Tanya

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:01:22 PM »
Hey Joanne!!! Nice to see you back again. Maybe you've had the next five year's worth of illness all rolled into one and you can have a long sick-free break! Bummer the knee is not the best, but it's good the muscles are doing something now. At least it's a step in the right direction. I am coming up to my three month follow-up OS appointment on the 18th, with a PT appointment the week before. Things are happening very slowly, if at all, with my knees. I am getting a bit sick of this merry-go-round and would love to hop off!!!! May there be no merry-go-rounds on our next virtual holiday  ;D

Kathy