Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Here -- Post Surgery for Meniscal Tears  (Read 1213 times)

Offline hotgrey2trot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New Here -- Post Surgery for Meniscal Tears
« on: January 31, 2008, 11:53:05 PM »
Just had surgery for 3 meniscus tears in my left knee 2 days ago...outpatient surgery.  Two of the tears showed on MRI, one vertical and one horizontal, and the other they found while doing the arthroscopic procedure. 
I go to my first PT session locally tomorrow morning.
Meanwhile I've been given a paper with exercises to do which shows I should be doing 20-40 reps 2-4 times a day.  Ha!  I tried 10 reps a couple times yesterday and last night my knee was definitely aching alot.  Am taking Ibuprofen twice a day for the swelling...not much pain at all...discomfort yes but not pain.  I do have a high pain tolerance though. 
I've read the website on exercises and have been sure to put my lower leg up on a support...in this case a chair...allowing my knee to hang down to obtain that passive downward stretching of my knee to keep it straight.  Boy is that muscle sore!! 
Twice today my left knee has involuntarily released and my knee is at a 45 degree angle as a result...as if my leg muscles can't maintain.  First time I sat down on couch to lay down and in bringing my leg up onto the couch it went crashing to the floor in this involuntary movement...ouch.  Just a moment ago (yes!) I tried to put my left foot on the floor to get up and it went crashing down again...ouch again. 
What is going on?  Am I doing too much too soon regarding exercising or what?  Are my leg muscles that weak? 
Thanks for any assist,
Val

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: New Here -- Post Surgery for Meniscal Tears
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:32:08 AM »
In my opinion, 3 days out is a bit early for strength work. I was doing passive range of motion stuff, just flexing the knee to get my range back, that sort of thing, hey dealt with. until I got my stitches out. Then my OS sent me to PT after that, which was about 2 wks out.

Every doc's methods differ though, so best bet is to call yours and ask what the expectations are at this point, as you are not up to doing so much this soon.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline hotgrey2trot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:47:30 AM »
Well that sounds about right and thanks.  The paper the doc gave me said to start the exercises the day after surgery.  Perhaps I'll back off and take things easier for the time being...he is a Sports Med doctor.  I was also told to set up PT sessions ASAP and my first one is tomorrow morning.  That should hopefully set me up on track so I don't overdo too soon.  I'll keep it passive for right now and work with the Range of Motion stuff instead of any strengthening.

I am still swelled up on the knee...some on top and quite a bit on the medial aspect of my knee, although some on the lateral aspect as well.  One hole is on the lower lateral, one midline medial and one lower medial.   Am still using the cold Polar Care Cub cooler and wrap as well.

Still can't figure out which muscle is hurting so much on the backside of my knee and toward the lateral side too.  I can hardly do any leg lifts right now...too much too soon is likely cause.

Val

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 02:31:29 PM »
Each and every os has a different pt schedule.  Personally I think your's is a little too aggressive.  Just doing heel slide should be enough until the stitches are removed.  Then slowly start to rehab the old knee.  Good luck.  Eagle