Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Heat Surges in knee- new symptom-- any thoughts?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Nancy414

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Heat Surges in knee- new symptom-- any thoughts?
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:40:09 AM »
I'm new to this site and joined hoping someone could provide some advice. 17 months ago after a right knee subluxation an MRI revealed patella alta, grade II/grade III chondromalacia patella, and high index of suspicion for patellar tracking disorder. A doctor at that time cautioned not to consider arthoscopic surgery, as it's ineffective for this problem. He said if I ever did anything surgically it would have to be knee reconstruction. I'm not one for surgery, so try to keep my knee stronger through exercise

Since the first subluxation I've had 8 additional incidents of extraordinary pain when I shift the wrong way. Sometimes it's taken a few hours for the pain to go away and for me to be able to straighten (or even move) my knee, and sometimes a few minutes. Four of those times my knee actually subluxated with a poppng sound when it went back into place; the other four times it took awhile until I could straighten it, and I never heard it pop back in. I haven't had any follow-up MRI, but I suspect that each time it subluxates I do more damage.

Sometimes my knee just feels "funny;" maybe tighter than usual where it feels like it may snap, or some radiating pain around the side and back of my knee. (When I first started having problems I only felt pain on the right-- now it radiates more.) Or, I might have popping noises with no pain. On such days I brace my knee hoping to avoid it "going out."

I ride an exercise bike maybe 80 miles per week; try not to go too high on the tension.

New symptom over this past week-- maybe 10-20 times per day I feel a quick surge of heat inside my knee that lasts 1-2 seconds. There's no pain or visible swelling associated with it, but the feeling is so strange, and this symptom is definitely new, so it's scaring me.

Has anyone had similar symptoms and/or has anyone heard of this? I'm also wondering whether surgery is something I should consider. (I'm almsot 50, if that factors into it!)Thanks so much-- I appreciate any words of wisdom!

dileigh

Re: Heat Surges in knee- new symptom-- any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »

Maybe time for a new doctor visit?     I know heat is usually associated with arthritis, but I don't think it's a surge like that, or at least mine isn't.    A second opinion might come up with one of the other surgical interventions like a TTT.  I think someone else has posted that their doctor told them if it hurts, you are hurting it.

Diana

Offline Nancy414

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:57:43 PM »
Hi Diana-

Thanks for your response. As a matter of fact I gave in and called my orthopedist today, because I couldn't find anything on Google that explained it!! The office is great; they're the doctors that treat the Miami Dolphins, so I figure they're knee experts. (I haven't been there in a year, because if you don't want to do surgery, which I don't, then there's not much you can do but work on strengthening it. Besides, everything I read tells me that surgery is a last option, and I see so much info on surgery that hasn't cured the subluxation problem; maybe it's because they do the wrong procedure, i.e. arthoscopic. What is TTT? Is that effective in avoiding the partial dislocations?) .

Anyway, they explained that when pieces of scar tissue break off they cause an instantaneous heat surge, which sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. They also recommended no biking for a few weeks, knee strengthening exercises, ice, etc. If I then return to my normal activities and the symptoms continue then I guess it will be time to go see them!

Maybe time for a new doctor visit?     I know heat is usually associated with arthritis, but I don't think it's a surge like that, or at least mine isn't.    A second opinion might come up with one of the other surgical interventions like a TTT.  I think someone else has posted that their doctor told them if it hurts, you are hurting it.

Diana

dileigh

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 11:55:13 PM »
 A TTT is a type of surgery where they detach part of the tendon that attaches to the tibia and move it over to relocate the patella.  It's used mostly for sublaxations and dislocations.  There are several types and most of the people I've seen have had a Fulkerson.
If you go into the patella part of knee guru and distal realignment, then you can learn more about this type of procedure.

I'm waiting for insurance approval for another procedure, but then I will have my Fulkerson.  Godd luck.

Diana