Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice on a slight sports injury please  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Gael2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice on a slight sports injury please
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »
Hi, I haven't used this site since the last time I injured my knee ligament in yr2000 whilst cycling. This time it is in a different place and I want to know if it is likely to be semi serious or not. (In 2000 I had to rest from sports for 6 months after cycling injury).

Last night at fitball class I injured my knee due to a lot of pressure put on the knee in some exercises. although I noticed it go I carried on as it didn't hurt too much. This morning I woke up and there is a definite problem at the front of the knee just below the knee cap. It hurts when I press the area with my fingers. I can 'feel' it when I walk but it is not painful. it is a bit painful when I go up and down stairs or put pressure on it. It kind of feels like a bruse feels - doesn't hurt till you touch it.

My problem is  I have just got into my sports again (I am trying too loose 2 stone) I do circuit training, fitball, yoga and badminton and I will be really fed up if I have to stop because of this. I know knees are really delicate things and injuries should be left to heel. But I really hope someone can tell me some good news and it is not likely to be a long drawn out thing. (No point going to the doc as he will just say rest). So I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me any advice at all. Gael X

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Advice on a slight sports injury please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 05:51:55 PM »
I guess that most ones would see the same as a doc.  ;D Rest and ice the knee.
Could be some overusing.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:47:56 AM »
I agree with Nettan, rest it at least a few days, and ice it when you can.

If your knee doesn't hurt if you just walk on a level surface, change your routine for a bit to 30 min of  continuous walking, then ice the knee down after, until it doesn't hurt anymore. I wouldn't do anything more strenuous than some walking (only if it doesn't hurt!), and some stretching exercises (whole body stretching, except the knee) which would be working on your cardio  and your flexibility without stressing the knee like more vigorous activity would.

Give it a chance to mend, sounds like a strain/sprain, before you make it worse. And don't forget to do your warmups thoroughly before you really get going, especially for circuit training. One of the easiest ways to get hurt... go do something strenuous with cold muscles and tight joints.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:09:50 AM »
Sounds like you may have strained the patellar tendon. I would agree that you need to rest and ice. If it doesn't settle down in a few days, ask your doctor about it. You don't want this to become a chronic problem.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline Gael2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 04:46:03 PM »
I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to answer me. I have taken your advice and I am much better now although I will wait a bit longer before I start exercising again. I guess I paniced a bit as my last injury took 6 months to repair fully. I will take more care in the future, knees are obviously a week spot of mine.

Many thanks again. :)