Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unloader knee brace  (Read 2982 times)

Offline hiltsmi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unloader knee brace
« on: January 28, 2008, 04:28:36 PM »
I am trying to decide on an unloader brace, the choice is
between the Bledsoe Thruster and the Donjoy OA Defiance. I
am looking for a brace that is comfortable for everyday use  but will also allow me to do sports activites such as skiing.

Can anyone offer an opinion on these 2 braces

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
Re: Unloader knee brace
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »
I have an unloader brace, the Air reliever by Townsend. I had tried other braces and this was by far the most comfortable. I really hated my Donjoy, it always slipped down and no matter how many adjustments I had done to it, I could never get it to be comfortable. I liked the fact that the townsend was a full shell design, it felt more comfortable and supportive.

99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 02:05:24 AM »
I too have an unloader brace. I'm on my second G2 Unloader Select. It's a single upright brace, versus Peg's Townsend, which is a dual upright brace, if I remember correctly. This means that my brace has a hinge on one side only, while Peg's has hinges on both sides. If you need ligament support, such as if you have ACL issues along with the need for the unloading ability, then you might need to go with the dual upright design for extra support.

I believe that Donjoy's  OADefiance is basically a combination of the OAdjuster's capabilities with a bit stiffer of a frame, for the ligament support.

Both G2's and Townsend's designs are full shell braces, which puts more brace in contact with the skin. In my opinion, having the full shell design provides for less slippage, especially in cases like me, where I'm a pretty good size gal ,with a thigh of 23" and a calf of 17". My G2 also has the option of having non-slip liners added, to help even more with keeping it where it belongs.

I have had Donjoy's OAdjuster, and hated it. There wasn't that much to it, it was mostly metal framing, and it never did stay put very well, and it chafed at my knee joint where the pads contacted my knee, so I had to wear a leg sleeve with it, which was miserable in hot weather, as it's hot here 10 months out of the year, you can see my beef with it... I was so glad to get my custom G2 brace, after 8 months in that thing!!!

Several things to consider when choosing a brace....
 - level of use, what will you do wearing it
 - your body size/type - if you've a large thigh/calf like me, the fuller shells offer more support, less brace migration
 - off the shelf versus custom brace - your insurance may require that you try an off the shelf brace before they'll pay for a custom brace, unless your brace place can prove that the off the shelf one won't work.

PM me if you have questions you want to ask directly, I don't mind.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Oldknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:06:25 AM »
I have been wearing the Donjoy Defiance for a couple of months.  It took a week or so to break it in but it has helped with the medial pain I was having.  I have to constantly readjust because it does slip down during the day.  My OS said that it usually works well for people of my size, however, I have not been impressed.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »
I had the G2 unloader brace as well.  I had  a fiberglass casting of my leg taken.   The brace is huge.

I had an orthodic tech tweek the bar a few times to push the medial joint .. if you have relief from it.. you may want to go to the next step and get an HTO

They have a thigh sock that should help the brace from falling down. 

I found my brace fell down .. when my muscles atropy'd

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:46:34 PM »
I have the DonJoy Defiance and the thing is huge (looks so much smaller in the catalog). It slips down all the time no matter how tight I have it, and is very uncomfortable but that is my experience.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)