Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My story  (Read 1636 times)

Offline LelaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My story
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »
In 01, I broke my leg, snapped both bones under my left knee, had surgery, this doctor left my knee dislocated, then in 02, had a TKR, which has never worked.  I'm in constant pain all the time and have to take medication, which I'm tired of taking. :(  With my walk gait off, it has messed my back up now.  I'm fixing to undergo a manipulation on Friday.  This Dr. is going to use the laproscopic to remove the scar tissue and a piece of bone, then do the manipulation.  Just wandering does anyone have any advice for me before hand?
Thanks,
Dianne

gigi67

Re: My story
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:30:13 PM »
hello. im wondering: have you tried prescription orthotics  to try and correct you gait? i too favored one leg over the other and my limp was very bad i went to a podiatrist who made a plaster cast of my feet and it greatly improved my  "waddle."  ;D. have u asked lotsa questions like: since it seems one surgery often leads to another, will this surgery lead to more such as more scar removal surgeries, or since its laproscopic whats the odds of further damage to the nerves, vessels, cartilage etc. sometimes scar tssue can be dealt with other non invasive ways such as  ultrasound, great Pt, lotsa stretching, hydrotherapy, ect. the prob is that for every surgery we have on our knees it seems to create another doesnt it? meanwhile our quad muscles are getting weaker which lead to misalignment problems they want to go back and correct with surgery.  or we r  getting ostepenic in our feet, leg bones, knee caps, which creates  further problems such as possible stress fractures, the possibility of getting RSD, etc which all lead to more procedures, the key word in OS is surgeon and of course thats what they want to do. i just had hardware removal 2 weeks ago. prior to that i had told him and he heard how my knee was popping , clicking, etc with every little movement,,he didnt scope around while he was in there...now, he wants to do a scope in 4 wks when my knee heals from this surgery to see whats causing the prob. personally from doing alot of researching and reading many acnts from this board i think its just that my quads r so weak they dont hold my knee in place right. i have lotsa questions for him the next time i go bk n am generating an actual list of questions as i think of them.....wish i woulda done that sooner. like b 4 the last surgery. sorry i cant advise you on your question though. b thinkiing of u on surgery day.

Offline LelaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:17:28 AM »
Thanks, I know I will need it.  I'm just hoping that I get some rom in my knee.  It has been so long since I have been able to do what I wanted to do.  I have asked questions, and I know there is no guarantee with this surgery, but I can only pray, it will be a little better than the last ones.  I have been to so many OS it isn't funny.  I have even gone to the best ones in Houston, but nothing.  I have researched these doctors at the Bone and Joint Hospital, so they got thumbs up.  Now I'm praying that I soon will be able to do things that I have not been able to do for so many years.

gigi67

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 07:15:18 PM »
well, make sure you post after surgery friday and let me know how it goes since i might be faced with same surgery one day.Ok? I know what u mean about wanting to do things...i love summer and missed out last year on  my favorite season. Research is important. Sounds like you had that covered. I met a guy who had  lig ruptures in both legs...one 3 years ago...just as it really started to heal from surgery and he started to lose his " waddle" after 3 years...he messed up the good leg. He told me that it took a good 3 years to recover from his knee surgery but even after 3 yrs he still had some minor probs. I am starting to try and accept the fact that perhap life as we use to know it before our injuries, etc may be just that and know we have a new life ...the post knee injury life!  :-\ My Os told me i could swim but that was about all he really wanted to see me doing when i asked him about limited activities...for the rest of my life.. he replied...swimming is great. I love to cycle so i asked about that, he said cycling is ok but he prefers swimming..even over walking.. SO, i will look forward to swimming this summer since i missed out last year. I will try cycling in time and see how it goes..but im ok b n able to swim at least. Next week i want to get back to the gym/indoor pool and start flutter kicking to strengthen my atrophied quad...im really hoping that will pull my patella back in place and wont have to have sugery again!!...sometimes that is all we really have to go on...HOPE...and prayer! I know thats what helped me get this far. We all just gotta hang in there and make the best of our circumstances...even if the prognosis isnt always what we want to hear we just gotta find joy in  other ways that we can. I hope your prognosis turns out well for you! I hope the surgery is a success! And I hope this year will bring you as much joy as  possible..no matter what the circumstances may be. I will look forward to hearing how your surgery goes! TAke care and keep the hope!

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:56:31 PM »
LelaD....good luck with the manipulation.....I understand two things you have said......number 1...seeing lots of doctors...I have seen so many it is embarassng to say..I saw 2 before surgery..the 1 that did the surgery (and screwed me up) and 8 since.....yes....does that add up to 11?  I dont even tell my friends that...they would think I am crazy.     number 2....being scared and hoping your research is a good source of truth.  If you have searched around and feel that this new doctor is reputable then all you can do is follow all the post op rules carefully. Be your own advocate...if you feel that you are not being cared for well in PT let the doctor know.  Im not the master of the scar tissue person here but from what I read on everyone elses posts the early and frequent manipulation is important to keep yourself from ending back in the scar tissue category.

Good luck!  Im curious who is doing your surgery in Houston?  I havent seen anyone there but heard that there is a good doctor for scar tissue there.

take care
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 01:30:29 AM »
Definitely be your own advocate for PT. I have been dealing with that. I went one place and they were awful... I'd just had my 5th knee surgery, and the therapist didn't even ask me what I could or couldn't do before I reinjured it this last time, and formulated a treatment plan after spending less than 4 minutes evaluating me. They'd given me some exercises to do there, and when done, said "you're done, you can go" and didn't even bother to ask me about pain levels, etc after the exercise, or even offer me a bag of ice to settle the knee again.

Delayed my therapy by over a week and a half while getting my OS and my insurance to change my PT authorization, but was well worth the delay. I was much better treated at the new place I went Monday.

SO... Speak up when you don't feel they're treating you right, and right away! I did.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline LelaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 05:00:32 AM »
Thanks to all of you, Austinknee, I'm having my surgery in Beaumont.  I'm seeing a doctor at the Beaumont Bone and Joint Clinic.  I have had several family members that have had knee replacements, also hip replacements, they are doing fantastic. One of the family memebers which is in her 70's, and she goes and does things she loves to do.  I'm 41 and have missed out on so much due to this, and I have done alot of research of things.  I do know in Ohio are the best Orthopedic doctors.  My mother in law lives there and I have also read alot of stories on injuries that you would of thought they would of never walked again, but have full use of their knee and legs.  I will keep everyone updated on the outcome.  I'm still scared, but it's worth the try, anything is better than what I have now.  Thanks again.

gigi67

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 07:13:27 PM »
hey. thought about u today wondering how things went in surgery. hoping the best for u! let us know.

Offline LelaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »
 :-[No surgery due to the cellulitis flaired up, they sent me to the hospital to start IV antibotics, and to put a pic line in, sat there for hours, so I came home late last night, have to call them back today to find out what time to be back there  I will keep you informed, thanks for thinking of me, this sight has been a blessing to me,  Thanks everyone.

Offline LelaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 11:48:38 AM »
 :-[No surgery due to the cellulitis flaired up, they sent me to the hospital to start IV antibotics, and to put a pic line in, sat there for hours, so I came home late last night, have to call them back today to find out what time to be back there  I will keep you informed, thanks for thinking of me, this sight has been a blessing to me,  Thanks everyone.

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 06:18:47 PM »
Oh no...Im so sorry they rescheduled you. That is the pits to get all mentally prepared for something and then to have to wait some more. I hope your ankle gets better soon!.
LR 11/2006

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »
Ok, Im not sure your cellulitis is in your ankle. Whoops. Not sure where I got that from. Hope you are well anyway!
LR 11/2006

Offline LelaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:45:59 AM »
It's in my mid leg :(.  It was really bad this time, it's like my skin stretched so bad, now I have marks all on the front of it.  I go back to the OS tommorrow, so we shall go from there.  I was so looking forward to my surgery, then this happened.  I'm so ready to try to have a normal life.  The doctor that originally messed my leg up was Merrimon Baker, from Cleveland Texas.  What was so funny, they took me to our little hospital when I first broke my leg, we all call it the band-aid station, and he done major surgery by putting in a plate and screws, that is how I'm in this situation.  I even went to the Medical Review Board, in which they just slapped him on his hand, but now he no longer practices at all.  This man amputated the wrong leg on one of his patients, I know alot of people that he has crippled, and it seems that everyone that he operated on, had some type of infection afterwards.  I wish all you well, I shall keep you updated.  My best to all..... :)