Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TTT - 5 weeks  (Read 3368 times)

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
TTT - 5 weeks
« on: July 22, 2003, 12:22:06 AM »
Hey Guys,

I am 5 weeks post op from a TTT and doing great.  I am full weightbearing (have been for awhile) with immobilizer, full ROM (For quite a while), etc.

And while my surgical pain (at the shin) is long gone and I had hardly any site at the LR site, my 'old deep ache' knee pain has been really bad the past couple of weeks.

I know it is way too early to know if the procedure worked and I have to rebuild  by quad (when I am allowed   ;) ), but did anyone else find their old familiar knee pain returning with a vegence around this time?

I find that wearing the immobilizer (even when just laying on the couch) helps this.

Any advice?
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.
TTT, Scope, and LR in mid June 2003.

SL99

Re: TTT - 5 weeks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 08:18:13 PM »
Hi AC,

I'm sorry I can't be of much help to you as I haven't had a TTT, but I was just wondering if the deep ache you're feeling is a part of the actual healing process within the knee? I know it sounds a bit silly, but sometimes that actual act of the body healing form the surgery and the good old beating and bahing it takes during something like the TTT, can cause pain and discomfort.

It might be worth mentioning to your PT or OS whoever you see first as they may have some suggestions ofr what's causing it and how yu can reduce or hopefully remove it.

I hope it feels better for you soon though Darl and that your TTT proves to be a complete success. Take care and  be good yourself during your recovery.

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 08:19:50 PM by SL99 »

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 12:11:21 AM »
AC,

Could the 'deep ache' that we all know and love actually be the result of swelling?  If so, it would be logical that you are still feeling it, because you're bound to be swelling at this point.

The other thing to consider is that you had a lateral release and ostensibly your knee is tracking correctly now (we certainly hope!) so this can cause deep, aching pain as your body becomes accustomed to the new status quo.  I know I had very bad pain deep in my knee after my LR and during the recovery, and this eventually faded as the knee swelling reduced and it began to track better.  Everyone from PT to OS to PA told me it was from the knee learning to track correctly.

So either way, swelling or learning a new groove, it should hopefully be temporary.  Maybe your OS can reassure you on this point?  With my last surgery, as soon as I started walking around without crutches I got the same subluxing, snapping, catching, and instability that had driven me to have surgery.  I was VERY bitter, but with some intensive quad work it did go away.  I hope your knee does the same.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 02:10:22 AM »
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{AC}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

After reading Heather's message, I can totally agree with her with regard to your knee now tracking in the correct position can sometimes give you pain as your knee gets used to being in a new position.

Whenever I have a deep ache, usually at the back of knee, I know that it is caused by internal swelling.

Just do the RICE thing and it should help alleviate sthe pain, along with your regular dose of medication.

Wishing you well.
All my love
Lizzie xxx  :-* :-* :-*
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 07:16:01 AM »
AC, how are you doing now?  Are you still using the immobolizer?  How is your room and muscle strength?  Is the swelling and pain getting better with time?  

I hope things are moving along and your recovery is going well.

~Riosilia
98- first patelllar dislocation
99- LR + debridment
00- proximal (VMO advancement) + distal (TTT medialization) realignment
03- MPFL repair, lat retinaculum repair, patellar microfracture
09- Patellar osteochondral allograft + MPFL reconstruction
10- ant interval release + partial synovectomy

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: TTT - 6 weeks
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 03:37:12 PM »
Hey Rosiolia,

I  went back to the OS this week and my bone hasn't healed  enough yet, so I still have to use the immobilzor  >:(  Doc said he was quite surprised as most people are completely healed (bone wise) by 6 weeks and I still have a ways to go.

Swelling isn't too bad and I am finally allowed to work on strength and to start PT (for strength... I have had full ROM for weeks).  I have no strength at all right now.  I wasn't allowed to do any strength exercises the whole time.  I wasn't even allowed to use my leg muscles to lift my leg into bed!  I had to use my arms or my husband.

Thanks for asking...how are you?
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 06:27:07 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you still have to use the immobolizer.  I know how dissapointed you must feel but there is not much you can do about.  You don't smoke do you?  That can slow down bone healing.  You could try taking Calcium suppliments but I don't think they help in such a short term period.  At least now you are allowed to work on strength exercises.

I'm doing ok.  I will be 7 weeks post op this Thursday (from a MPFL and lateral retinaculum repair) and I have full ROM, minimal swelling, and pretty good strength.  Both my therapist and doctor said I'm doing much better than most people so that's good:-)  The only thing that worries me is the amount of pain I'm still having.  For some reason I'm having more pain now than when I was 3, 4 weeks post op.  I'm leaving for college in less than a month so I'm hoping this will be enought time to get things settled down.

Hope your tubercle heals so you can get rid of that immobolizer!  Good luck with therapy!

~Riosilia
98- first patelllar dislocation
99- LR + debridment
00- proximal (VMO advancement) + distal (TTT medialization) realignment
03- MPFL repair, lat retinaculum repair, patellar microfracture
09- Patellar osteochondral allograft + MPFL reconstruction
10- ant interval release + partial synovectomy

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 06:35:20 PM »
No, I definitly don't smoke, and I actually take calcium supplements every day (have for years), so not sure why mine took so long.  Doctor said, some people just take longer then others.
Oh well.

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 10:13:16 PM »
So I guess this means no wave pool right? Are you going somewhere else for vacation? Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 10:44:05 PM »
No, it looks like no water park  >:(

We will probably postpone the vacation till later in the year and do something different.