Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 steps forward, 1 step back...WAH!  (Read 5457 times)

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: 2 steps forward, 1 step back...WAH!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
ha ha..yes, this house has two bedrooms upstairs and a master and office thing downstairs....so, if we have a baby it is going in the downstairs office room so I dont have to go up the stairs....Im optomistic that someday the leg will work again and then if I had a baby and it grows up it can go upstairs and we can then use the office downstairs...ha ha..funny to have a whole plan ready and we are not even pregnant..ha ha.......thats a womans mind I guess.

hope everyone has a great day!
laura
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »
Laura,

There's nothing wrong in planning for the future and if it makes your life easier the better. I am sure the leg will heal in time. Patience and time is the recipe!

Peggy

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 06:45:27 PM »
Planning is what makes it all easier.  It's amazing how creative you can be.  Good for you planning this far ahead.   

Laura, I can't imagine your poor husband finding you face down and hearing the thud, thud, thud.  I bet it almost gave him a heart attack.

Peggy,  don't give up on stairs yet.  You just never know.  You might be able to do them some day.

I have a funny (not funny when it happened) story about falling 3 days after my surgery.  My dear neighbor invited me over to watch a movie because she knew I was going stir crazy.  I crutched over to her house and up the first two steps.  I opened her front door and went to swing myself up the last step into the house.  Half way through the swing I realized I was swinging the wrong foot (I think I simply forgot I only had one good leg) I landed on my injured leg, it gave out and I fell flat on my back.  The front door was wide open and my crutches were half in and half out of the door.  Just as I was lying there in shock at what I had done I heard her pull into the driveway and say "Why is the front door open?"  "I wonder if Lenore left it open" and then her 6 year old sees me lying on the floor and just as calm as can be he says "She's right here Mom" like I was supposed to be lying there. 
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 06:52:30 PM »
That is so funny...Im laughing at my desk...not funny....but OUCH....yes, children have no clue.......ha ha..I have to go back to work now...and what a great way to end lunch!   sorry to laugh at your expence!  :-)
LR 11/2006

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »
Lenore,

Too bad you didn't have a blanket and pillow, you could have taken a nap waiting for your neighbor. Falling, I went up the curb at a local Wawa using crutches and went up with the wrong foot, anyhow, the crutches went flying and I didn't go down but wound up bent over like an orangutang with feet planted firmly on the ground and hands on the ground too, tears coming down my face and screaming at my husband to get my walker. I must have looked like a real kook!!

Now it's funny, then I was scared to death, not to mention embarrassed, this couldn't happen in the privacy of my own home? HA HA

Peggy

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 08:27:23 PM »
Laura,

Glad I made you laugh at lunch.  You guys are all cracking me up so I thought I'd share some of my stories too.

Peggy it sounds like you would have been better off if you totally wiped out like me instead of trying to catch yourself and balancing on hands and feet.  I'm laughing at the image.  Good to hear I'm not the only one that forgot which foot to use. 

A pillow and blanket would have been nice.  I really just wanted to start bawling.  I was convinced I had just ruined everything they fixed at surgery.  Picture me lying there while her husband is down cellar playing basketball and her daughter is in the living room watching TV with friends.  When I got over the shock of falling I realized there was a house full of people and noone heard me fall (and swear).  Too funny!

I have a funny story about using the handicapped cart at the grocery store too.  More to follow!
05/09  MUA

Offline lindseyso

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • ACL Reconstruction Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 08:44:07 PM »
I just went to a hockey game this past weekend and with my brace still locked straight I can only do one step at a time. And we had to look around for seats and ended up sitting up top! Once to the top I had to put my leg over the seat in front of me since I can't bend it enough yet for those tight fits. Luckily we found a spot with no one in front.

Even though it was a slow climb I was really happy to get out of the house and do something!

Haven't fallen yet, even with a couple feet of snow outside! But I am constantly being wacked in the knee by the tail of my overly excited german shepard.

Oct '07 - Injured Playing Ultimate Frisbee
Jan 2nd - ACL Recon w/ Hamstring and Lateral Meniscus Repair

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »
Lindsey,

Isn't it amazing how far we will go to get to something we really want to do??

Lenore,

I should have just sat down and given up at that point but I was on my way to the os, I gave him an earful about the stupid crutches. It wasn't the operator, it was the equipment. HA HA

Peggy

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »
Lindsey,

I love the pup.  Watch out for that tail.  Sometimes getting out of the house and doing something for your mind is just as important as keeping up with all of the physical stuff you do at home and PT.  Good for you finding a way to get out and do what you want to do.

Peggy,

Sure...blame it on the crutches.  (Just kidding). 

OK, here's the grocery store story.  Enjoy!  Wish I had kept the original e-mail I sent my friends about the handicapped cart.  It was very funny.  I just can't duplicate the whole story again.  Basically I was sick of everyone waiting on me so I decided to drive with one foot and get myself to the store.  (Not an easy task since my right knee is the injured knee and I drive a pickup truck).  I parked in the handicapped parking and crutched into the store.  I chose one of the older carts (big mistake) and I don't think the battery was charged up enough.  As I left the cart parking spot I winged a gumball machine that teetered back and forth and almost came crashing down and then when I got to the main doors my cart stopped right in the middle of the doors.  The automatic doors were opening and closing on my cart and every time the doors closed on me the cart would tilt up on it's side.    As this was all happening everyone trying to get in and out of the store couldn't get past me so they were just standing there helpless watching me.  That's really the funniest part.  The cart stopped 3 or 4 more times while I was going around the store and I had to get store employees to help me get it going again.  I learned that the new "blue" carts were much better and after that when I went to the store I used those.  It was kind of fun once I knew the routine. 
05/09  MUA

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 09:25:30 PM »
Lenore,

Thanks for the giggle!!!!

I had one of those carts take off on me while I was at the resiter and it snagged (of course) my bad foot between the candy rack the check out. Boy did that hurt. I say my bad foot because after not walking for a year it is weak and keeps breaking and getting badly bruised.  I thought the ankle was broken and I swear I would have jumped in the river if it was!!

Peggy

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 11:21:33 PM »
Ouch!  That's way worse than my experience.  At least I didn't get hurt. 
05/09  MUA

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 12:29:25 AM »
That story with the doors closing on you is so funny.....I can just see it now....at least you didnt get hurt!!!

With the doggie..I understand the tail.  My dog is a big lab, seh sleeps on the floor usually but in the middle of the night she likes to sneak up when she knows Im too tired to care......about 2 days after my last surgery she jumped up on the bed and by the grace of god she landed  between my two legs. I was in shock...sat straight up....but, no pain.   So...after that she just got to sleep in the bed wth me..I figured a bad habit is better than an 80 pound lab jumping on my extended knee at night!!!

:-) thanks for all the laughs today!  ha ha

oh, if you want another good laugh you can go read some posts under an old topic of LR and subluxating. A nice "helpful" gentleman today suggested that everyone with all these knee problems should just see better doctors...and he suggested I see a "knee doctor"......ha ha...ok, good idea...like I havent seen EIGHT knee doctors already! ha ha ha....
LR 11/2006

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 01:36:50 AM »
A knee doctor?? That's a good one!!

Have a great evening

Peggy

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 03:59:30 PM »
I would have looked at him very seriously and said "That's a great idea.  Do you know of any good "knee Doctors?".  Too funny.  File that one under the category of CLUELESS!!!
05/09  MUA

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »
Well, this guy was on this website...so, I looked under his username to see if he had any other posts.....ha ha...looks like he joined this site yesterday and then logged in and decided that we are all in bad shape and we need better doctors.  Guess that was his one and only helpful insite for us. ....

Lenorem...hop you are feeling better that the other day.......   :-)

Laura
LR 11/2006