Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Opinion on steroid injections please?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline HTL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Opinion on steroid injections please?
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:41:33 AM »
I have had 3 arthroscopys for meniscus tears on my right leg, the latest 10 weeks ago. The OS tells me that the arthritis has advanced since the last surgery and a PKR will be needed eventually, but hopefully not for a few years yet (I am 56) I had my first arthroscopy in the left knee at the same time. The arthritis is not too bad in this one but unfortunately, I am still getting pain where the meniscus tear was trimmed and I have developed a Bakers cyst in this one. The OS tells me that this can be aspirated but may return. The cyst causes stiffness especially when I am in bed.

I am going skiing in 3 weeks (crazy but true) and I am in a dilemma about having a steroid injections in my knees before I go, I am hoping that this will keep me pain free for at least a few weeks. The OS tells me that there are pros and cons but the decision lies with me. I have found a great knee brace the McDavid 425 ligament knee support and I am finding these really supportive when I go to the gym but I am not sure if these will be enough. I could do with some opinions regarding the injections.
Regards
HTL

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Opinion on steroid injections please?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
I've only ever had one cortisone injection that worked out of many. That one was in my shoulder and lasted only three weeks.  For some people they work wonders. The only way you'll know if it will work is to try it and see. It's very much an individual thing. It's not likely to make your knee worse. Be careful wearing a brace. They can give you a false sense of security. They can aslo make your knee weaker.

dileigh

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:10:47 PM »

They can work, but it's not an immediate thing, it will take a few days to really set in.  I've had some work and some not.  The novacaine/lidocaine is the pain relief you feel for the first few hours.

From what I understand, you can't have more than 4 per year, so if it doesn't  last, you'll have to wait until it's time to get another.

Diana

Diana

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:03:26 PM »
You may want to get the cortizone a few days before your ski trip. This is one of those you  will never find out how it works for your own person until you try it.

Depending on how far gone your knee is.. it may only  last a few weeks or days.   Seeing as your even thinking skiing is possible for you to even do..  I say give it a go.   

Most people who have immense pain and are getting cortizone shots are not thinking of skiing. But are taking the celebrex and other cox 2 or cox 1 nsaid's