Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: tibial osteotomy first time  (Read 6074 times)

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • "laugh til you cry, cry til you laugh..."
Re: tibial osteotomy first time
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »
Hi Karen
Was the sleep aid you tried from a health store or just the regular drugstore?  I also read an article about herbal sleep aids and it mentioned calme forte, wonder if that is a brand name for the melatonin.  I too could use help in the sleep dept.  Esp now  that I am having a problem with really bad swelling in my foot in the evenings-the past 2 nights it has been uncomfortable enough  for me to take something to help me get comfortable.  Bummer b/c my swelling had been completely gone as of last week and I feel like I am taking a step backwards.
Carol

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 11:29:55 PM »
hi melissa,
  thanks for writing.  i hope you are feeling better.  you were a great help.  i was wondering, did your os tell you how long you have to wear the brace?  do you know if when you can be weight bearing, do you still wear it?
  today for me is not a good day.  i am no longer allowed to take pain meds and last night i couldn't sleep because i couldn't stop my mind from thinking.  but my mom took me out today and bought large sweatpants and that got my mind off of the surgery(although i was on my knee too long) 
  so anyway,  how are you doing today?  did you have a good day?  i hope i can hear from you again and i hope you are doing better.

beth

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »
hi brianne,
  how are you doing today?  i was wondering do you happened to know how long you have to wear the brace?  my mom asked me today and i didn't know. 
  thanks
beth

brianne

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 11:42:12 PM »
Beth,

The length of time wearing the brace depends on your OS and what is done in surgery.  I think 6 weeks is a pretty common length of time, some more and some less.  I wore it 6 weeks with TTT #1, 4 weeks with TTT #2, and 5 weeks with TTT #3.

As for me, my infection is not showing signs of clearing up...  I am doing everything I can including eating a very healthy diet and getting plenty of rest.   I am drinking lots of water.  I am going to hear back from my OS tomorrow with what he wants to do.  I just hope I do not have to drive back to D-town again!  But I will go if I have to!

Brianne

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »
thank brianne,
is the infection really bad?   do they know what caused the infection?
beth

brianne

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »
Beth,

The infection is not getting any better.  I guess any kind of infection is bad.  They think that the infection was caused by one of the screws.  If this is the case then it is a really rare complication.  We're still waiting to find out what kind of bateria is causing the infection.

Brianne

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »
Beth,
How are you doing-counting down the days I am sure.  Were you able to sleep any better last night?   Hope all the answers you are getting on here are helping you get through this week.
My brace is worn for 6 weeks as well-always worn when walking and for 4 weeks at night.  I can take it off for the CPM and if I am sitting down for a length of time.  It really is not bad and offers the support and security the weakened knee needs.
Hang in there-
Carol

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
hi carol,
  i slept a little better last night.  i slept on the sofa and for some reason that seemed a little bit more comfortable.  after my mom took me out to go shopping,  my mind was a little better.   i finally have the clothes that will fit after surgery and so talking to you and the others has helped me so very much.  without  talking  to everyone i may not have gotten any sleep.
  i got some crafts to do and my sister is bringing some books for me to read so at least i have something to do. 
so everything is coming together and yes i am counting the days down.  i will find out for sure on thursday afternoon but as of right now,  i was told to be at the hospital by 6 am. so hopefully  i won't have to wait too long for the surgery.

thanks so much for writing to me.  this really helps me.

thanks beth

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 02:53:27 PM »
hi again Beth,
So glad you are feeling a bit better.  I really felt like the days leading up to the surgery were harder than the day of.  The day of surgery you are so relieved that it has finally arrived that you just go on auto-pilot.  That is great that you got an early morning surgery time so you can just get up  and get it done with.  I know you had asked me what type of anesthesia I had, do you know what you will be having?
  Yes this is a helpful site and I am a big believer in being as prepared as possible.  So keep yourself busy this week and try not to worry too much.  As for any more questions-ask away-you will get lots of answers.
Carol

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »
carol,
  i said i wanted general anesthia(sp).  you are right, i think the waiting and the thinking part is the worst.  i also have adhd - attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and without meds my mind  won't stop thinking so that is also not helping.  it might sound stupid but i just want it over with.

i do have a question,  do the os have you use an ice pack or do you have something else to ice your knee.  i have heard of an ice container that hooks up to a wrap around thing on your knee - sorry don't know what to call it.  if that's the case, how easy is it to do it by yourself or does someone have to help?  i have my post op. appointment on feb. 12 the get the staples and stuff out.  it is nice that they already set it up for me so i don't have to call and set it up after the surgery.

one thing i am kinda worried about is showering.  the only reason is we have a small shower upstairs - where i will be- and i am not sure if i can fit in there with my leg straight.  the only other option is to use the tub downstairs but how hard is it to use stairs with your crutches and not being able to bend you leg? ;D

my other question is,  when do you actually go to physical therapy?  i have read that you don't go till 6-8 wks.  is that true?

ok, well, that's all the questions i have for now.  once again, thank you so much.(and everyone else)

beth

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 06:07:21 PM »
Hi Beth
I can completely sympathize with the "i just want it over feeling" so it doesn't sound stupid to me at all.  I know for a fact I said those same exact wrods 3 weeks ago.  Hang in there.
Okay as for icing.  I have done all the different methods.  The cyrocuff is what the one you mentioned is called and my insurance covered that with  my first knee surgery-they gave it to me at the hospital and sent it home with me.  Yes you can handle it on your own-your husband can fill it before he leaves for work and if you have a visitor (which I think you mentioned help stopping in during the day) they can refill it.  The surgery I just had my OS ordered me an iceman rental which my insurance covered-it  is basically a more high tech version of a cyrocuff that only has to be filled in the morning and it plugs in and a motor keeps ice water circulating to the pad...Did your Dr. mention any of those?  You can google them and see what they look like.   If not and if you are concerned about spending the money for one then do not worry since you can manage very well with ice paks and gallon size zip-loc bags of ice work great for me.
The shower concern...I would suggest climbing in there this week and determe if you canmanage it with your leg out straight, can you fit a shower stool in there? If you can fit int he shower it might be easier than climbing into a tub but I am sure others on this site have advice on the tub option.
 As for the stairs-I was able to make a trip up and down by day 2 but kept it to only 1 trip for the first few days since it is tiring and you want to be safe.  It probably also depends on what kind of condition you are in going into the surgery-how bad you were injured, your age, etc.  I was fortunate in that way b/c my surgery was at a time when I had been going through  a good stretch of time with my knee and had been able to exercise and stay in shape which made a big difference in terms of strength for recovery.  I am a big fitness fan and work out regularly luckily I am in pretty good shape for a 39 yearold mother of 3.  I think you need to just follow the signs your body will give you and take it one day at a time.
Do you have crutches already-it  is a good idea to practice the stairs with a straight leg before surgery to get a feel for it.  My husband has been on crutches several times and he coached me through a few practice sessions on the stairs before both of my surgeries.
Every Dr. is different about PT.  I personally will not go out for PT until 6weeks b/c I am completely non-weight bearing due to the type of bone cutting and drilling my OS did during my procedures.  Meanwhile I have some exercises to do at home plus 4-6 hours daily on the  CPM.  Lots of time on that CPM means lots of TV watching, reading, computer surfing and thank-you note writing to all the friends who have helped us out with driving, bringing ,meals and starbuck treats!  It is not painful at all and feels good to get the leg moving.  The CPM is big and you will not  be able to move it so give some thought  to where you want it set up and make sure your husband gets it arranged (if it needs moving, it is easy to turn on and get in) each morning before he leaves for work.  I personally did not want it in my bed b/c I don't like laying in bed so I have it set up on a big ottoman in front of a very comfortable chair for now.
Keep in touch-
Carol

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 06:53:28 PM »
hey carol,

thanks again for your answers.  i will practice and see if i fit in the shower with my leg straight. as for the icing.  my os really didn't say too much other than i will be non weight bearing for 4-6 wks and that i will have an immobilizer on for quite a while. i will need crutches ( yes i have crutches now.  they are wooden.)  he said that he will schedule it as soon as possible because i keep having alot of pain and keep falling.  i have been out of work for almost 2 months already.( i am a nurses aid)  he also said i will have a pretty big incision and that it will take at least 6 months to heal.  he didn't say anything about a cpm machine or the iceing.  he didn't tell me much just that.  i was just glad that he had finally found out what was wrong.  the first surgeon i have didn't take an xra and then he claimed there was nothing wrong with my knee.  he then finally did orthoscopic surgery and says that he fixed 3 cartridge tears and that it was fixed.  but it only got worse and i started falling more than i did before.  so i went to get another opinion.  this os seems to know what he is doing.

oh my os said too, that i would be in the hospital for overnight.  so that is why i started on this website and researching the surgery.   i just hate going into a surgery with scews being put in and not knowing what's going to happen when i wake up.

did your os  explain alot to you.  i have a physical with my family doctor tomorrow at 6pm,  do you think he would know some of the answers to the questions?

well i should go,i need to eat and take the dogs outside to play now that it stopped raining and icing and hopefully i will talk to you soon again.

thanks

beth

Offline Big Country Bhoy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 05:27:49 PM »
I had my op on 1/10/07. I was off work for 7 weeks and then back driving and doing office work etc. I have been doing the physio fairly concientiously and was feeling a bit sorry for myself as there does not seem to be any great improvement. I was advised by the physio I could go back to playing golf around mid December but after 6-8 holes I get so sore it begins to become a real chore to finish. The area of the HTO has healed great I'm told ( the bone ) but I'm getting a fair degree of pain behind my knee and there is no great strength in my left leg. However after reading other's experiences I'm actually feeling a lot better about it as I thought I should be walking limp free by now. To read that other people have been rehabing for up to 10 months or more was a surprise. Maybe it's just the Scots' way to be so impatient!
I'm going up and particularly down stairs without holding onto the rails now so it's onwards ond upwards.
Good luck and follow the physio advice.

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 07:23:21 PM »
hi,  thanks for writing.  without sounding stupid, what is physio?

i have my surgery tomorrow and it is about 2pm around here and i am ready to get it over with.  i have a filing cabinate beside the sofa ( the smaller ones only 2 drawers) and  i now have word searches and crafts and books to do.

as for going back to work, well i am a nurses aid.  i lift people for my job and my os told me it will be at least 6 months or more before my knee can actually withstand the weight of transferring people.   

i tried to practice with the shower and i probably will have to use the tub.  it would be nice if i could use our hot tub but i doubt that is a good idea. :o

so anyway thanks for writing and i appreciate all the help and advice i get from everyone.

beth

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »
Hey Beth,
Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. As for the shower, have you considered getting a chair and hand held shower head? Worked great for me.

;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

support