Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: tibial osteotomy first time  (Read 6073 times)

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: tibial osteotomy first time
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 11:38:50 PM »
hi karen or carol,
  i have another question,  my husband wanted to know, can you wear the brace on the outside of your pants?  we were just wondering,  i am a nurses aid so i won't be able to go back to work till i am able to hold a good amount of weight on my knee.  my os didn't say that i couldn't be a nurses aid again so i am assuming that i will eventually go back to that.   with me being off work we just don't want to spend alot of extra money but if it is nessesary then we will  and i am sure that i can find some for a decent price.   
  for the first week, my mom and friends are bringing supper over and dropping in on me for a few hours. so as long as i can learn to manage after the first week i should be fine.  how long are you not allowed to drive?

thanks beth

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 11:43:50 PM »
hi karen,

i was wondering, why were the screws taken out?  did they bother you?  the screws usually stay in right?  how do you know if they should come out?  i have read that after the surgery,  parts of your knee is numb,  is that true?  were you scared (if that's true) that your feeling would never come back?

thanks beth

Offline chromolume7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 11:45:02 PM »
Hi Beth,

Thought i'd chime in here as well.  I'm currently 6 weeks post op on a fulkerson.  My recovery has been much less painful than my OS was expecting (nothing more than tylenol necsesary for me).

For my brace it's pretty big - a ROM brace that was locked straight for the first few weeks, then opened up to allow for me to bend.  My incision is about 3" long, and they did internal stitches (or something similar) so that they were only poking out at either end.

The surgery was on my right knee, and I am still not driving.  I have been given the all clear to start driving short distances, but it keeps snowing (I can't clear my car off).

I was allowed to shower 2 days post op, but when i tried I got light headed, so I waited another day.

-Lauren

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 12:08:46 AM »
hi lauren,
  thanks for joining in.  so you mean there were no staples or stitches to be taken out?  boy that would be really nice.  so after 6 wks.  i should be allowed to  drive for short distances?

thanks beth

Offline chromolume7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 12:18:57 AM »
They did have to take the stitches out, but for the big incision it was basically just one stitch (as opposed to many stitches all along the incision).  I also had 3 other small incisions from the scope and lateral release (each with one stitch as well).  I think other people here have had staples or more stitches, as well as larger incisions.  That will all depend on your surgeon and which type of TTT they are doing.

I was actually cleared to drive at about week 4, I've just been hesitant (my feeling is that until I my leg is stable enough to walk, I don't want to be relying on it to drive).

brianne

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 12:28:48 AM »
Beth,

As a TTT expert, I thought I would join in.  I have had three TTT's with the fourth one in 10 days.  To answer some of your questions:
1.) The brace is rather large, but it is not horrible.  I am able to wear it outside of my pants.  make sure you leave some extra fabric around the knee because when you are allowed bend the brace you will need that extra fabric or it will pull on your kneecap.  I found that jeans are a bit tricky, but it can be done.  Here is a link to a picture of my brace: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=536612&l=a63c2&id=513106360
all braces are different, but thats about what they look like.

2.) The incision will really depend on your OS.  Mine is 3.5 inches from my most recent one and my first two were 2.5 inches.  Mine were held together by internal stiches and then they clipped the ends at 11 days PO.  Some OS's us staples, but I think most use stiches.  Here is a picture of my incision.  The other one is from an MPFL reconstruction.  http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=536612&l=a63c2&id=513106360

3.) The skin around the incision will be numb.  It might never regain feeling.  I really do not notice it all that much.  Just be careful shaving around that area because you cannot feel the skin.

4.) I was able to shower at 3 days PO witg my most recent TTT.  For the other ones I had to wait until 11 days PO.  Press N Seal is a great thing for keeping the incision dry.

5.) Screw Removal just depends.  Some people have screws that bother them and they have them removed.  Some people never have trouble with their screws.  I have never had a screw removal, but I would only do it if they bother you because it is a surgery and there are always risks with any surgery.  

6.) Driving depends one which leg it is.  With my right leg I have had two TTT's and I was unable to drive for 4 weeks with the second and 6 with the first.  I was driving after 10 days with the left TTT.  My OS said it is when you have enough control of your leg to use the pedals.  it can be tempting to drive sooner, but make sure you can do it safely because you would not only be putting yourself in danger but those around you.

As I stated, I have had three TTT's with my most recent one being 6 weeks ago and my next one in 10 days.  So I have a lot of experience with them.   Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brianne

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 12:45:30 AM »
Hi Beth,  I think I got all your questions.  If I missed any please let me know.

1)is this brace a big brace or little? I was in a Breg Post Op Lite

http://www.breg.com/products/bracing/post_op/lower_extremity_knee/default.html - 2nd brace down on the page.

2) i was also wondering how many staples, stitches are there?  This is going to depend on your OS and how big the incision is.  My 1st TTT my incision is about 4” and I had 15 staples.  With my current TTT my incision was only about 3” and I had 9 stitches.  Either stitches or staples are not a big deal to have removed.

3) i was just wondering, did you get an epidoral or did you go general anastia( sorry about my spelling) – I always have a general.  My OS uses the On-Q System which delivers local anesthetic to the surgical site.   www.askyoursurgeon.com

4) how soon can you take a shower after  the surgery? I was allowed to shower 2 days after my surgery as long as I covered my incision with plastic to help keep it dry.

5) my husband wanted to know, can you wear the brace on the outside of your pants? Yes,  I almost always wear mine outside my pants.  It makes it easier to adjust throughout the day.

6) how long are you not allowed to drive? With both I was driving within a week of my surgery as long as I was not taking the pain meds (I don’t remember if I actually asked if it was OK when I had my Rt knee done).  You are going to need to clear this with your OS.

7) was wondering, why were the screws taken out? The screws in my right leg always bothered me so we decided to remove them.  I have had some complications with my left knee and the hardware needed to come out in order to correct some continuing issues.   

8 ) i have read that after the surgery,  parts of your knee is numb,  is that true? Yes,  You will find that the area to the outside of the incision will most likely be numb   were you scared (if that's true) that your feeling would never come back? No.  I did get the feeling back in my right leg.  It is going to take a LONG time to come back but even when it is numb it is not uncomfy. 

Karen

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:55:31 AM by KW »
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 01:04:57 AM »
hi brianne,
  thanks so much for writing to me.  i couldn't figure out how to get the picture of the incision but  i got the one with the knee brace. 
 thank you, beth

brianne

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 01:10:59 AM »
hi karen,

i just wanted to write to you and say thanks.  yesturday is my first time on this website and  it makes me feel alot better knowing that you and others are willing to help and talk me through this.  i am a worry wort and your answering my questions helps me to not worry as much.

thanks so much'

beth

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 01:19:41 AM »
thanks brianne,  your knee doesn't look as bad as i thought or imagined mine to look after surgery.  i honestly don't care what the scars look like anymore i  will just be glad when it's over.  this is my second surgery on this knee.  i actually fell while shopping in a store because they had a wooden skid in the walkway.  the first os did orthoscopic surgery and fixed three cartridge tears and after that he said it was fine.  it wasn't and i kept falling.  a couple of times i fell and got knocked out and he didn't want to do anything so this is the second os.  this one seem to know right away what was wrong.  so it's been almost two years and i just want it fixed.  i know the recovery is slow but i can't wait.

beth

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
  • "laugh til you cry, cry til you laugh..."
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 02:53:29 AM »
Hi Beth,
Okay let's see how many of your question I may have helpful answers for...
The brace I have is similar to an immobilizer (which I had after my lateral release last year) it is big and goes from mid thigh down to lower calf, mine keeps my leg locked straight and is to be worn for any walking and  at night.  I can take it off for the CPM and for icing and elevating.  It is big and clunky but my OS and many others seems to be very strict about them.  I have an ace bandage under it covering the incision sites and then wear the loose fitting pants over it.  We live in  CT with cold weather so long pants are a must.  They delivered the brace to my pre-surgery room and said jokingly here is your new best friend for the next 6 weeks and I woke up in recovery with it already on!
As for anesthesia (sp?)  I had a spinal block with heavy sedation-I had input on how heavy I wanted the sedation and I requested the "sleep right  through it" option.  It was a breeze, I walked into the OR said hello to everyone and they added something to my IV and next thing I now I was comfortable waking up in recovery and they sent my husband in.  My previous surgery I when i woke up i felt very anxious and I shared that with the anestheologist this time and he gave me a different type which agreed with me much more.  Woke up feeling relaxed and relieved.  Ask your OS if you will have a chance to talk with the anestheologist-you should anyways and let him know if you are nervous, and any experiences you have had before.
I was allowed to shower with a garbage bag covering my leg and ace bandages as soon as I could manage.  I am a little bit of a neat freak and showered within an hour of arriving home from the hospital on my second post-op day.  We do have a walk-in shower and I had a shower seat which was a huge help since I am completely non-weight bearing.    My husband had to help the first day but by day 3  I had it down to a science-just had to go slow and have everything set-up.
I had two very small incisions where they did the arthroscopic portion of my surgery that had only 1 or 2 sticthes each.  My osteotomy incision is around 4 inches and I had stitches but the type that go under the skin and only come up at the ends so I don;t know how many-the Dr. removed them by pulling the thread out from one end...I know that others have posted their experiences have mentioned staples instead.
As for my knee problem.  It was kind of atypical-I have misaligned knees and really bad chrondromalacia and the knee cap was way off to the side and completely bone on bone so after a year and a half of swelling, pain and a worsening flexion contracture (inability to fully straighten my leg) plus an unsuccessful arthroscopic lateral release I got 4 opinions in favor of this surgery.  
Do you have a pre-op appt this week?  Make a long list of question for your Dr and try to get all the info you can.
I do not mind answering any more questions you have and like I mentioned earlier there are lots of others posting regularly with info to share about TTTs' and osteotomys.  2 women have extensive post-op diaries from the past few month-Brianne and Farrah.  Plus Melissa just had a TTT last week and started a post-op diary as well.
Hope I was of some help and let me know if I forgot to answer anything-
Good Luck!

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
  • "laugh til you cry, cry til you laugh..."
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 03:00:06 AM »
Whoops in the time between when I started my post this afternoon and just got back to finish/post it I see you got several replies-some from the very people I had mentioned-see I told you they were helpful!
I learned something new too-about wearing the brace over pants instead of always underneath.
Carol

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 04:29:13 AM »
Hi Beth
  Carol is right I did just have a TTT - Fulkerson Procedure this past monday (21).  I am writing a PO diary. These people are wonderful.  Some of them have a wealth of info.  When is it that you are having surgery again?  Sorry I forgot and I don't want to back tract here. 
   I have a nice stablizing brace that is nothing like what the one site showed that  karon posted.  Mine is just a basic no locking mechanisms.  Here area few things that I have learned in the last few days... 

1.  make sure you take your meds on time at all times!  Don't try to be brave cause you will be
       in more pain later and its hard to regain control of the pain once you lose control!
  2. take stool softener..the pain meds will make everything slow way down!  can cause problems
       learn the hard way!
3.  ice, ice and more ice.  Ice is not just for the swelling but it helps with the discomfort.  I find
     my skin gets very warm and is highly sensitive around the incision site. Again mine looks
     different than what you have seen posted.   
4.  Be prepared for no sleep...its hard to get comfortable when you have a brace and pain.
 5.  Follow you OS directions completely do not try to be a hero and do everything before you
      need to.  You want to heal so take it slow!
 6. organize where you plan to spend most of your time.  I am staying in my bedroom due to my
     furniture is hard to get out of even with two good legs.  I have a bedside commod to make it
    easier for me not everyone does this but I have found it has hbelped greatly it can be used in
   the shower aas well as over a toliet.  You will find that your toliet is too low and it will make it
   difficult to get up (specially if y ou are NWB like me). 
 7. Use a walker instead of crutches if necessary.  i am using a walker instead of my crutches
      because I am not so graceful on crutches.  I find I am much more steady this way.  I also
      have  a wheelchair. Again not many people use this but I have 4 kids that have been
     underfoot and this has actually helped me help my husband with making dinner and
     helping  them get ready this am for church.   plus I have many steps up to the house and the
     wheel chair helped alot!

other things to ask and think about...I came home on coumadin a blood thinner.  I never asked about this, no one on the boards ever mentioned it.  Ask your OS if you will be on this.  I came home with a home health nurse coming to visit me a few times a week to monitor the blood levels.  My insurance covers it and it last only till I have a B mode to make sure I am clot free and then no more meds and no more nurse. 
  I have  26 staples, the incision is 6 1/2 inches long and it starts at the middle of my knee and goes straight done my tibia. I get my staples out on Feb 4th and I am counting the days, they are starting to itch. I had a spinal and with out chosing was awake for the procedure.  It wasn't terrible to be awake, I talked to the anethesiologist the whole time and heard bits and pieces of the surgery.    I was in the hospital from Monday afternoon (surgery schedule for 1 had it at 3) and came home Wed. late afternoon.  I had a morphine pump that did nothing but make me sick.  But others have said it helped them. 
   If there are any other questions let me know I will gladly answer them, honestly without sugar coating it.  It is painful but meds help alot.  Today has been a great day for me pain wise.

Melissa
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 04:58:12 AM »
Melissa has some really great points.  I am surprise you are on coumadin - I don't think i have heard of anyone being on anything more then an asprin after this surgery.

Piece of advise on sleep.  I just tried melatonin (i hope i spelled that right).  It is a herbal suppliment that is said to help relax you to sleep without making you groggy the next morning.  So far it has worked well for me.  Also since i had my hardware out I have had to take Perc's at night and they make me itchy...so i am taking Benadryl with them.  That is one great way to make sure you sleep  ;)

Take a stool softener - If you up your water intake and eats lotts of fresh fruit this will also help.

Ice, Ice, Ice - But you can ice too much.  20 min on 20 min off if the rule.

The first week is the worst pain wise.  If you take the pain meds as prescribed then you will be fine.  Make sure all your ducks are in a row before the surgery then you can sit back and relax and recoup after.

Night all,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope