Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: tibial osteotomy first time  (Read 5236 times)

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
tibial osteotomy first time
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:36:18 AM »
can anyone help me,  i am having a tibial osteotomy(i don't know if that is spelled right) on friday.  i have read about the surgery and wonder  do the doctors send the cpm  machine home with you and do you rent it or buy it?  can any one help?

beth ??? ???

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: tibial osteotomy first time
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 04:56:40 AM »
Hi Beth,  Do you know what kind of Tibial Osteotomy you are having done (High Tibial Osteotomy, Fulkerson Tibial Ossteotomy, Elmslie-Trillat Osteotomy, .....) ?  I have had 2 Fulkerson Osteotomy (otherwise knows and a TTT) and I have never used a CPM.  Had my OS decided to use a CPM it would have been rented and paid for by my health insurance.  To my knowledge purchasing is costly.

I have been able to regain my ROM by working with my PT and doing my prescribed exercises.

Best of Luck,
Karen 
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »
i am having  a lateral subluxation tibial tubercle osteotomy.   this is when  they fix your kneecap when it slides out of place.   i think it's called mal tracking.  the doctor said i won't be able to put weight on my leg for4-6 wks
  i don't know if it's a high osteotomy but i know that it's to fix your kneecap ;D

beth

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 05:14:18 PM »
Beth,  To make your research easier.  Is sounds like you are having a Tibial tubercle osteotomy (sometimes known as a TTT) to correct lateral subluxation.  There are several versions of this surgery Fulkerson, Elmslie-Trillat, ...  If you look on the Knee Guru main site you can find more information on each variation.

The use of the CPM is not going to change.  Each OS is different.  I never used a CPM for either Fulkerson.  If I had it would have been perscribed by my OS and the rental covered by my insurance.  My OS also would have arranged to have to CPM delievered to my house.

Karen
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
thank you for writing.
 i am really nervous.   os said he'll put two screws in my tibial bone and i never had anything done like that before.
 may i ask,  what did you have done?

beth

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
  • "laugh til you cry, cry til you laugh..."
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 05:52:29 PM »
Hi Beth,
I just had a TTT/fulkerson osteotomy on jan. 11th.  I am sporting the  2 screws in the tibia and my OS has me on the CPM up to six hours a day.  It was delivered to the hospital and PT showed me how to use it the day after my surgery and then it was sent home with me.  My OS office arranged it but the equipment co. called to verify insurance and all that as it is covered fully by our insurance.  I was worried about it being uncomfortable but it is not at all-in fact it feels good to get the  leg moving and esp. the first few days post-op when I was so scared about moving it all.
I  am unable to bear any weight  for 6 weeks as well.  Check out brokenbeauties.com for some very comfortable crutch pad covers that help with the soreness from the crutches.
My recovery is going very well and I am happy to answer any questions you  have.
Do you live on your own or with family, I ask b/c you definitely need to have help around for a bit post surgery.  Will you be staying overnight?  Each OS is different, some people go home  the same day and some stay up to 2-3 days in the hospital.
I was very nervous before my surgery and I can still remember that feeling since it was only a few weeks ago so hang in there and keep asking questions.  I asked my OS so many questions, fotunately she was great about taking time to explain and answer everything.
There are also many others who post regularly and are recovering from various TTTs and are a wealth  of infomation. 
Carol

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 05:54:16 PM »
Hi Beth,

I have had a Lateral Release and Fulkerson Tibial Tubercle Ostemtomy (TTT) on both knees (rt knee in 2001 left knee in 2007).  I also have had the hardware removed from both of my knees.  The TTT is where the cut the tibial tubercle and relocate it to help correct the tracking of the patella.  They then secure the tubercle in its new location with screws.  Sometimes the screws are removed at a later time and sometimes they are never removed at all. 

I found that my recovery was not nearly as bad as my OS told me to expect. I live alone and after one night in the hospital (which was not really needed) was home alone fine.  Follow your OS instructions, keep up on the pain meds, and ice ice ice ice.  Let me know if you have any questions...I'll be more then happy to answer!

Karen
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »
One more thing-I should have clarified when I wrote that you might need help for a few days...I live in a 2 story house and have 3 kids so help was a must. The help was more for running the household than taking care of myself.  But Karen had a good point in saying she was  able to manage on her own.  The non-weight bearing aspect makes it a bit hard so if you can have everything accessible and organized before hand it helps alot in those first few days post surgery. 
My experience so far (only 2 weeks out) is that it has not been as bad as I expected.  It is a long recovery and I keep reminding myself to go with the one day at a time mindset.
Also in agreement with karen on the ice ice ice and elevate!
Good Luck!

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
Oh yes,  if you have kiddo's you should have help. For safety more then anything.  I only have a dog (66 lb Aussie) and i sent him on "vacation" to my parents for a week.  I pre-cooked meals and kept a 2nd set of all the necessities (shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, bandaids, babywipes......) downstairs so I did not have to make many trips up the stairs.  Yes,  I also live in a 2 story house.  Take the stairs slow and keep the furry kiddos away and you will be fine.  My pup has learned that he either goes first or last up the stairs but never when i am going up.  Lucky my stairs are pretty wide so when he "forgets" there is room for both of us.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Karen
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »
Karen
Kudos to you managing with a 66lb pup.  We have a 15 lb puppy who was so delighted to see me when I would venture downstairs that he would be all over my brace and nipping at my crutches-I was thinking if he were bigger he would take me down.  So you having to contend with a 66 pounder must be challenging.  Since I am completely NWB if I have a shoe on that foot he will try and take it right off and run off with it.
Another tip for upstairs-downsatirs (if Beth even has that to deal with) is a little backpack for bringing things up and down-empty mugs, cordless phone, etc My kids were laughing at me the first couple times I put it on for a trip up or down-they were like hey mom where are you going, hiking?   hahaha but it beats trying to juggle things while using crutches.
Karen-how long ago were your surgeries?
Carol

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »
My 66lb pup (ok 3 y/o pup) is very well trained and very well behaved but very active still.  He is not a fan of crutches so he moves quick when he sees me comming.  I have a fenced in backyard so potty trips are not a problem and if he plays "I can't hear you" when i want him to come in the word COOKIE works wonders for the hearing.

Some other little tips that were life savers...

I used covered food storage containers to move food from the kitchen to the family room.  I would put lunch dinner in a covered storage container and put everything (including a drink - can or spill proof container) in a small bag something like a small gift bag.  was easy to handle while using crutches.

Get a shower stool.  I did not have one for my 1st TTT but had one for the 2nd. Love the thing!

Put a small stool in the bathroom.  When your leg is straight you may need to prop your leg up slightly while in the bathroom.

Have something to do during the day.  Movies, puzzles....  I was abe to work from home so that kept me from going crazy too quick!

Carol - For my right knee my Fulkerson was in Dec 2001 and the hardware was removed in July 2002.  And my left knee the Fulkerson was April 2007 and I have had to have 2 additional surgeries with the last being the hardware removal 01/22/08.

Karen

Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline fettucine1990

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »
Karen,
How did the  screw removals go?  My OS says that the screws are often left if there are not any problems  but that in my case I can wait and see although in her experience more woman than men opt to have them removed.  Since I  am quite athletic I may want them out and  if I do feel like i want them removed it won't be a big deal and can be done after 6 months.

Beth
Ditto Karen on the shower stool and stool in the bathroom!  Very helpful!
Also wide leg drawstring pants to fit over the brace are good to have around.  Assuming you are going the brace route-many people wear  one 4-6 weeks post-op.

Carol

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 07:34:33 PM »
My screw removal in 2002 was a piece of cake.  I had it done on a Friday and was back to work on Monday.  It was done at the out patient surgery center with a local.  I walked out and we stopped for lunch on the way home.  This recent screw removal is due to some other things that are going on with the knee so I am under much tighter restructions. 

Beth - I live in wide leg sweat pants from Old Nevy.  They fit over the brace nicely, are warm, wash great, and were not too expensive.

Karen

Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »
thank you both carol and karen for talking to me.   i live in a rancher with my husband and a soon to be 20 year old stepson.  my husband can't stay with me cause he can't take off work.  my stepson works during the day.  we have a bathroom upstairs and downstairs.  the one upstairs has just a shower and it's not that big.  downstairs we have a bathtub but the stairs are not carpeted and i have fallen before on them when my kneecap slid out of place so with crutches i am not sure i want to to that at least by myself. 
i have two dogs(a german shepard 100lbs and a jack russell/chiuaua mix -15lbs.)  the german shepard is very well behaved and i can saftly have crutches with her but the little one is only 8 months old and he likes to jump so that has me a little leiry.
 i am staying overnight and the os told me that i would have an immobilizer so i imagine that's the brace you both are talking about.  is this brace a big brace or little?  i was also wondering how many staples, stitches are there? 

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 11:10:28 PM »
hi carol,
i was just wondering, did you get an epidoral or did you go general anastia( sorry about my spelling)    how soon can you take a shower after  the surgery? 
  if you don't mind me asking, how did your knee get hurt?

thanks beth