Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ultra distance running after chondroplasty??  (Read 3376 times)

Offline peterwww

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ultra distance running after chondroplasty??
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:54:01 AM »
All, I had an extensive chondroplasty coupled with an meniscectomy on November 14. The chondroplasty was - presumably - due to the few years  of ultrarunning that I've done (once running 75 miles in one day for charity in 2005). I am eager to go back to ultra distance running but was obvioulsy advised not to by my OS. I know it may be stupid to go back but I am eager to compete in a 24 hour track race in October with the hope of representing my country in the 2009 24 hour world championships. Look, I know the milage required for the aforementioned will wear my cartilage out even furtherbut if i was to stop in 2009, would that be too late or dya think I could still sneak in a couple more years without getting arthritis prematurely? I figure im prob gonna have arthritis anyhow cus ive had that extensive chondroplasty in 2007...

any advice/thoughts?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Ultra distance running after chondroplasty??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:15:12 PM »
To continue with something that a doc that has been in your knee advise against is really stupid.
What is most important, the running or having a knee that will work in daily life ?
Start think !!
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »
My opinion is that it is not worth a few more years of running and that you should protect your cartilage.  Running is so hard on your knees.  From someone who had to give up running, I know how hard it is to give it up.  I just went through ACI to repair damage to my cartilage and let me tell you the recovery is not fun.  I would do everything I could to keep myself from having to go back to the OR.  There are lots of other sports out there that are not so hard on your knees and are still fun.  Good luck as you make your decision. 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
Nobody can predict how long it will take to develop arthritis. I've known people that needed a TKR within a year of having a menisectomy. I lasted 34 years from initial injury. You already know what you're doing is stupid and will destroy your knee. Nobody here is going to tell you otherwise. It's really your decision whether you want to trash your knee early. You don't mention your age but if you're relatively young you need to decide if you want to run for a couple more years and look forward to a painful future or if you want to take care of yourself now so you can enjoy the rest of your life.

Offline Aff

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:39:23 PM »
for the experts here, is it the chondroplasty or the menisectomy that would be the reason for stopping.

i was under the impression a chondroplasty was not too bad if you had to return to activities (as regrowth can occur) whereas a menisectomy means it's the start of loss of your 'shock absorber'.

if it was the latter i can understand running, especially long distance, being out.

i know how you feel peter, i am in the middle of a similar situation with regards to returhn to sport.  it was almost ruled out by the physio (you should reconsider your activities), until it materialised it wasn't what he thought.  but even so, i wonder myself now.

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:59:18 AM »
I dont have an answer to your question...but, just empathy.  My last step of running I took in Feb 2006 was at the Austin Marathon......I miss it....I miss it..>I miss it. I met my husband training for it.....we got married, I had knee surgery. We miss running together.

It is easy to say it is dumb to want to keep running....but, as someone who has the runners high, the runners clarity..the stress relief..the goals...the friends to run with.....the pattern.......it really sucks to lose it.   

Im sorry that you might not get to do your distance race. Perhaps you could have new shorter goals that would give you the same personal reward...and wouldnt trash your knee so fast....so you could enjoy it much longer in your life?   Just a suggestion.

LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline peterwww

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »
Thanks, look it, im not arguing that it s not stupid to go back running, Im simply wondering how definite is it that I will get arthritis if i do? is there a chance i mightnt get it? it was chiefly a cnondroplasty that was administered during the op, the meniscctomy was for a frayed meniscus - not a torn meniscus - is that good i.e. that the meniscectomy wasn't major?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »
The person who knows your knee best is your OS. You can also ask a sports phys for opinions.
Is your OS a sports med ?
I think many here of us have been where you are right now and continued with sports instead of quit and therefor ended up with problems too early in life. It's not a piece of cake to live with severe knee damages, believe me I know.
I have 2 destroyed knees..one leg that I never can walk on more and the other one in for the third knee surgery in 5 months time.
If you are very interested in sports, try find one that not is that hard on the knees as running is.
I am still looking for some sports to continue with..as I also have a spinal damage and use wheeler 100% that's not easy.
I used to play handball, basket and soccer and was very good at that. I have tried with wheelchair basket, but you can hit your knees easily and my left knee can't take that. Hope to get my right knee sorted so I at least can go back to ride horses and sitski downhills.
So think not only one time before you make your decision. You can never regret a damaged knee and go back and change things that has been.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 10:18:38 PM »
A chondroplasty is done to trim up cartilage damage, which suggests you already have arthritis. The "repair" that occurs to damaged cartilage only occurs sometimes and it consists of fibrocartilage, which is more brittle and prone to damage. I would find out the extent of your damage and ask about running before making a decision. The thing is, the more the damage extends through the knee, the less options you have in the long run with regards to surgery. There are multiple options for small discrete areas of damage but once it spreads then the options disappear, so you don't want it to spread! At the moment you may be able to participate in lower impact sports for many years, but if you continue running and increase the damage you may find yourself unable to do any sports in a couple of years -  I struggle to spend more than a couple of hours on my feet at a time, let alone play sport! My damage progressed quite rapidly despite the fact that I gave up sports and did lots of walking for exercise. Just think about how you would feel if you couldn't get through a normal day of activity without severe pain and aching. Just be very careful about making your decision. Read through the posts in the arthritis section to see how much it affects those who have it and what sort of quality of life they have before you decide to continue running. Good luck in your decision - it's not an easy one!

Kathy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:21:24 PM by kathat »