Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Adhesions after 2 arthoscopic and total knee replacement. Is Procaine an answer  (Read 1722 times)

Offline aspencherub

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tore meniscus which was repaired through arthoscopic surgery.  Faithfully followed physical therapist directions but pain continued and seemed to get worse  Thought was perhaps I did too  much exercise.  Another scope to take out scar tissue, when I was then told cartilege on one side was
missing.  Went through more gentle PT faithfully..more scar tissue. After this two years of agony, a total knee replacement was recommended.  Was doing well and had 140 degree bend (forced with much pain by therapist), but have
regressed to about 90 degrees.  Scar tissue now worse and am investigating ways to get rid of the scar tissue and pain that gets in the way of bending.  Have heard of Procaine treatments.  Any help along lines of what to do, where to go for help would be appreciated. 

gigi67

i have a friend who works for a chiropractorand she e mailed me just today to ask me if id considered this route. she claims that there are lasor therapies and ultra sound techniques that lessen the scar tissue, reduce inflamation, aid in cell renewal. I was alos doing some reseach today oon alternative treatments myself b/c my os is talking possible meniscus tear & i read several accnts of this causing even more problems due to damage to the tissue, cartilage, nerve, etc and leading to more surgeries. he had mentioned the scope but i think after doing some research i wont take the route right away. I dont want MORE probs, i am considering trying alternative methods also as soon as i recover from my hardware removal surg i will go resume my hydrotherapy because i read that it can be an effective treatment. and i know from experience it helped me walk again after first breaking my kneecap 8 months ago.may b check into alternative treatments b 4 more surgery...one surgery alwasy leads to another it seems and im tired of them myself..too many risks involved. just a suggestion tho.

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy..."
Hello,

After a surgery last August, I too developed scar tissue.  I had a second surgery in November to have a lysis of adhesions to remove the scar tissue, I also had a lateral release and an MUA.  I had 20 degrees of bend the day of surgery, and my surgeon got 120 on the table after he did the scope LOA and LR.  I am almost 12 weeks post op and have all but four degrees of flexion back (134 degrees) and my extension is perfect.  I still have a long way to go with muscle-building but I am walking unassisted and my knee does not stiffen up much at all anymore.  Occasionally, my knee likes to buckle and scare me, but once my muscles are strong, that will stop.  I can climb up stairs properly, so all that is left is building muscle and then when my knee is more stable, I will start learning to walk down stairs properly again.  I had a good outcome from the surgery and hope that it never happens again. 

You may want to consider posting on the Arthrofibrosis board and also, you may want to look up Jaci.  She is the arthrofibrosis guru on the boards and has loads of good information.  She might know more about the treatments you mentioned, and/or where you can read more about them.  There is a lot of great information on the main KNEEguru website.

I wish you all of the best in whatever treatment you decide on.

Take care!

Sarah
Aug 17 07 Injured
Aug 23 07 Open surgeryOct 18 07 No progress made at PT for awhile - stuck 52/53 degrees
Oct 23 07 Saw OS, wants second opinion from partner-ROM stuck 30-35
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X
Jan 8: ROM 134
Rest In Peace, Lucky!  I love and miss you so much!!!!!!!!

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
ASPEN
ALSO LOOK ON THE COMMUNITY HUB. THERE ARE TONS OF GOOD INFO AND BLOGS THERE. MISSMYKNEE HAS POSTED THERE AS WELL AS HERE. SHE AND JACI ARE ARE RESINDENT EXPERTS. SADLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE FOUGHT THIS FOR A WHILE.
THE COMMUNITY HUB CAN BE FOUND ON THE TOP OF THE HOME PAGE AND THE RIGHT HAND SIDE.
ALSO LOOK IN THAT SAME SPOT FOR TUTORIALS.
HOPE THIS HELPS :D           FROSTY

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy..."
Frosty!

So nice to see you!  I hope that you are doing well.  If you have time, drop me a line some time! ;D

Take care of yourself!

Hugs,

Sarah
Aug 17 07 Injured
Aug 23 07 Open surgeryOct 18 07 No progress made at PT for awhile - stuck 52/53 degrees
Oct 23 07 Saw OS, wants second opinion from partner-ROM stuck 30-35
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X
Jan 8: ROM 134
Rest In Peace, Lucky!  I love and miss you so much!!!!!!!!