Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: post surgery outcome  (Read 798 times)

gigi67

post surgery outcome
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »
well my hardware  from my broken patella surgery last may was removed two weeks ago yesterday. yesterday i had the staples removed. i was sure hoping he'd say " put those crutches down and dont see me again" but all i got was " 4 more weeks on crutches,,,oh and as far as activity from now until forever....swimming! i asked about cycling he said that was ok but he preferred only swimming and that i would need to protect my knee forever. so i guess that this really was a life changing event. before surgery my knee would pop and crack at every little movemoent and you can feel it moving under your hand. I tought it was the hardware at the time...he said no. Its still doing it only worse now after hardware removal. He said it could be lots of things: meniscus tear?? tissue in the joint? cartilage out of alignment, the actual knee joint itself out of alignment or rubbing bone to bone. Hes talking shots, mri's , laproscopic surgery to look around...all i can think is " Man, is all you see are dollar signs?" I feel like all he is asessing is how many more visits he can get out of me. Seems like he sees enough problems that he should have a better " clue" what it is without all that many more procedures being done. ANy of you experienced this particualr problem? Im sure you have, any ideas? Should i get a second opinion? Well...what if my insuracne doesnt pay for 2nd opinions. I dont know why he didnt do a tkr when i first cracked my knee cap...see it totally snapped in half..like a cookie, then the lower half cracked in half, and fell completely away from the upper half and down into  where the two leg bones meet. When i saw the x ray i said a tkr..he said oh nooooo well keep your knee and you will be back to normal in no time..... that was 8 months ago now he tells me ill have to protect my knee forever, limit my physical activity..if id had a tkr id be up and about and back to real life by now! UGH! Any similar exepriences?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: post surgery outcome
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »
Getting a second, third and even fourth opinion is always a good idea when contemplating major surgery. Insurance companies usually pay for them. I'm curious why your doctor didn't just scope your knee while he was taking the hardware out. That would have saved a lot of trouble. I just had hardware removed from my ankle and my doctor did a scope while he was in there.

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: post surgery outcome
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:14:29 PM »
Hi,
Sorry to hear that you didn't get the news that you expected from your OS.  I too would be upset if I was told that all I could do was swim.  I agree with jathib that a second or third opinion does not hurt.  I have gotten a second opinion before all of my knee surgeries and I just had my third knee surgery.  If you don't feel comfortable with your current OS, then I would at least consult with another one.  You can call up your insurance company to see if they will pay for a second opinion.  Most of them will pay for at least a second opinion and some of them even a third opinion. Good luck to you!!   
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

support