Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Subconciously favoring left leg, please help me.  (Read 1215 times)

Offline CC Smooth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Subconciously favoring left leg, please help me.
« on: January 17, 2008, 02:09:08 AM »
Hello everyone,
I tore my ACL and miniscus on my right knee about 4 years ago (its been that long? WOW!). Anyway, As I was recovering I began to notice that when I run my left leg is working so much harder than my right. My right leg is still atrophied a bit as I have had some ankle problems on my right leg. I have no pain in my right knee whatsoever, the OS did a fabulous job and the ankle is good again. So, this is a 2 part question.

1) Should I work out my right leg alot harder then my left to build the muscles back (i.e calf, quad, hamstring etc)?

2) How can I reprogram my mind to start using my right leg again just as I did before I hurt it? Is it even possible?  Will building the muscle in my right leg help with this?

my left knee is starting to hurt when I run because of the involuntary favoritism I am giving it. Ur reply is much needed. Thank you!

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Subconciously favoring left leg, please help me.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
hi there,
Im so glad youve noticed this now - because I favoured my lefty without realising for 20 years until my right had atrophied away to nothing and was no longer functional!!

Go to a PT - explain whats going on. There must be an underlying issue causing you to favour - perhaps the bad side was never brought up to full function since surgery. Perhaps your brain is so used to trying not to hurt the right that its forgotten to treat it the same as the left. Whatever the reason youve noticed it now and its time to address it. A PT will give you specific exercises designed to target the problem areas.

This is fixable - but you may need to keep an eye on things for a long time to come.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 11:05:44 PM »
hi there,

I injured my knee in July and had arthroscopic surgery in October to repair a microfracture and remove a torn piece of miniscus.

Ever since my injury, the muscles on my injured knee (the right one) have atrophied. At one point I couldn't even do a single leg lift/raise when lying down. I have been going to PT twice a week.  They put me on a Muscle Stim machine that sends currents to my right quad/hamstring as I do specific exercises they gave me. These help rebuild my atrophied muscles. 

So, as the last person posted, go to a PT. They will have the proper machines and exercises to help you. Don't just go to the gym and work your injured leg harder.  You need to be doing specific exercises.

Best of luck!!
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 11:08:05 PM »
also, if you continue to subconsciously favour one leg, you'll end up with hip and back problems later on (that's what people have warned me about). you don't want that.

but I am the same as you. it's only when others tell me (like my boyfriend or PT) that I realize I'm favouring my left leg. Even when I'm on the exercise bike, I hike up my right hip (because I only have 93 degrees of flexion in my right knee so far). So I have to force my brain to realize with each step I take to correct the problem. I have to remember to extend my leg, put my heel down first, etc.

Good luck!
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

support