Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: To everyone that has helped me through...  (Read 1259 times)

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • My Facebook Profile
To everyone that has helped me through...
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:42:42 AM »
Hi everyone,

Sorry it took so long to write. I moved right before I went back to school, and things have been a bit crazy. Physical therapy has been going GREAT!!!!!! i am in my 3rd or 4th week, and i am amazed at how much better my calf AND knee pain is. I am running every day, P.T. every other day, home exercises, no more calf pain, and my knee pain...almost gone!!!!!!!! i cant believe it!!!!! its been 8 years, and now its almost gone!!!! i am starting softball next month. i am so happy. i got a brace from my P.T. and it is a DeRoyal patella stabilizer and it works great. i really cant believe all this is happening!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone that helped me throught the good times and bad,
Ill check in again soon,
Jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: To everyone that has helped me through...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:30:26 AM »
Congratulations Jak,

It's so good to hear a success story! Well done on coming back to post the good stuff, and good luck with your return to softball - I am so envious!!

Kathy

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:03:06 AM »
Jak!!
Im so happy for you!! And so jealous!!!
Now you have to promise to keep coming back here to post and make us all jealous of your no pain, lots of activity good knee!!
Its great to hear a success story - you do realise that you are now in the land of 'an inspiration to us all'?? Thats a heavy responsibility!!!! We will be expecting words of wisdom from you on a regular basis!!
Im so pleased for you.
xxx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 05:14:33 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I am sooo happy.
I have been trying to run on a treadmill for 10 minutes everyday, slowing increasing it, but after the first and second time, my knee got mad at me, and I havent been able to run for 5 days. I have PT today, so I will tell them, but i was kinda expecting the pain. I hope that yall get some relief too.

I will check in soon,
Jak
 :) :-*

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 02:22:30 AM »
hey guys,

still in pt...no more calf pain, but the knee pain is still there. i cant run anymore and i dont know why. the couple says that i did do it, i was in so much pain afterwards that i decided to stop because the couple minutes that i had that runners high was not worth the couple days of PAIN!!!!! i am working out every day, at the school gym every other day and at pt every other day, and i am still hurting though. i can tell a difference in the pain, but it is still there, nagging. now, i dont want to start another one of the 'arguing' things again, but my pt said that it pt doesnt completely relieve the pain that there is a surgery that can fix it. he didnt tell me the name of the procedure, but my problem is my patella is off to the side and little too high. so....i dont know anything about the surgery, not even the name, but so far pt hasnt taken away all the pain, not that i expected it too, but i need some type of relief. the brace isnt completely helping, but a little improvement is better than none. He said that my patella moves around too much, like he can wiggle it and could, with a little force, practically dislocate it just with his fingers. it slides around, left and right, about an inch. if anyone has experienced this problem, please, please, please reply to this letter. softball for me starts in 11 days, and i know that no relief will come that quick, but i would like an idea of what i am facing.

Thanks SOOOOOOO much,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:46:08 AM »
Hi Jak,
Im just thinking aloud here - obviously you need an OS for a correct diagnosis but it sounds as though your patella is 'loose' and that the hope is that conservative therapy (physio) will strengthen up the muscles around the knee enough to control it and stop it from maltracking because it floats around a little to the side and rides a little high - the idea being that having the muscles built up will be like a 'knee support' of muscle. However your physio seems to be saying that if the conservative therapy doesnt work that there is a surgery to fix that - I guess they are talking about a realignment type of surgery that would put your patella into a better position so it stops riding so high or off to the side.
Riding too high is called patella alta, riding off to the side too much may be something that they could fix with a lateral release?

My own patella is VERY loose - but no more surgery for me - they definitely want me controlling it with physiotherapy.

Hope that helps.

Try not to worry - the physio may work out yet, you have to remember that you have had knee problems for quite a while - so it may take quite a while of physio to correct that. But at least you are on the right road now with a physiotherapist who knows their stuff!

Good to hear from you sweetie - I hope all is well other than the darned knee!
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app