Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knees & backache  (Read 909 times)

Offline Kickboxerchick

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knees & backache
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »
Hi there

Can anyone help me?

I've had Chondromalacia for 2 years now, worst knee is the left.

Over the past 6 weeks or so, I've had a a backache, it's kind of a mid backache, with a muscle knot on the left of my back, not far under the shoulderblade.

I've learnt that bad knees can cause hip / back problems . . . could this be related at all?

It's a miserable ache . . .I've been to my doctord to rule anything else out, and he thinks it's muscular.  Is it due to the fact that maybe I'm holding myself differently when I walk because of my knee pain?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Diagnosed with Chondromalacia July 2006, really bad left knee . . .not quite so bad right knee!

kiddthekatt

Re: Knees & backache
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:34:42 PM »
Hi;
   I can't speak for anyone else, but my TKR knee has caused my back to ache quite a bit. My pain management doctor told me that since my gait was off my back was being stressed. I know that if I use my crutch, my back eases. Wish I could help you more. Good luck and be safe.

Angel

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:17:28 AM »
The aching back comes from compensation.  When your gait is altered, it puts stress on other parts of the body.  I have been limping for 17 months and have bad episodes with low back, hip, and SI joint off and on.  My PT works on these areas as much as my knee when they are flaring up.  Hope you feel better, soon!

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 02:04:27 AM »
Hi,
I have had a lot of hip and back pain which my PT says is from my poor gait.  My hip and back often hurt more than my knee...go figure.  I was also just talking to a friend of mine last night who is a PT and she told me the same thing.  If you are not walking right then you can cause back and hip problems.  I hope you feel better.   
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

support